Author Topic: New Bobber Bullet - cracked head and 2 speed gearbox  (Read 1625 times)

Mortgage_Tom

• Neophyte
I've purchased this bullet below

Oh, can't upload a picture?

It's a 1990 500 in green, kick start.

The head has a crack in it but I have another head ready to fit. Any tips to be sure the engine is at TDC before removing the head? Torch down spark plug hole?

The other problem is finding gears, it's either only got two, but which 2 changes or gets stuck in gear when out on the road. But seams to work fine in the garage when rockedback and forth. All be it, a bit stiff and reluctantly though.  Have had a few goes at adjusting the clutch but not really got anywhere, so will try again. Have also noticed oil leaking from the right side of the box. So suspect someone has filled it with oil. So I've bought some of the correct grease stuff from Hitchcocks. No idea how I'm going to work out how much is in there and how much to put in.

Any pointers for a new bullet owner would be appreciated!

Mortgage_Tom

• Neophyte
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:51 pm

« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:46:06 pm by Mortgage_Tom »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:34 pm
You don't need TDC to take the head off. Your best bet is to download the Pete Snidal service manual it will give you how to set up the gearshift and all other info on these older Bullets. I think you can still get it for free on the web.  ERC
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 04:12:28 pm by ERC »
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:22 am
When fitting a new head or barrel, it is necessary to establish the correct depth of the barrel spigot into the head, so that compression sealing and oil sealing both seal correctly,  and you don't have leaks. If you do it right at first, you will be free of oil leaks, and much happier.

I am pretty sure that I have info on this posted in the archives.
Home of the Fireball 535 !