Author Topic: My first look up close at the Himalayan  (Read 3665 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: May 11, 2018, 10:46:21 pm
First no I didn't get a ride but didn't ask anyway.

I stop by the local dealer and they had a Himalayan  sitting out front so I got to have a look without supervision and outside with good lighting and room to move around. 1st thing that stuck me was it’s bigger than the photos show, about 4/5 the size of my KLR-650. Next was it looked better in life than the same photos. I look closely and the built quality look to be very good, nothing looked like it was tacked on or an after thought the attention to detail looked nice, much better than my C-5.

I the sat on it and it felt right. Not too small or to big. He bars fell to hand no great reach or crowding and the pegs weren’t to high so as to cramp my legs ( I’m 6’ with a 31” inseam) I had no problem flat footing it and even had my legs bent. The bike felt very light and at 401 pound wet as it should but the low center of gravity made feel even lighter. I could lean it way over with no problem. My KLR was about 480 wet and top heavy to the point of being a handful at times.

The center stand is a nice touch, I wish my KLR-650 had one as I has to carry a jiffy stand to lube the chain or change a tire on the road, luckily I never flatted on the road. I tried it out and the bike just about jumped up on, very light and stable. The seat is a strange tacky material but offered good grip off road but may be a bit to sticky on road when you want to slide around but they have the bike pegged as a ADV bike so I guess they went the right way.

We all know that it priced at right at $4500.00 and I ask for an out the door ( this is in Ohio so taxes and fees where you where you’re at may be different) and it looked to be right at $5300.00 give or take.

I was looking at the Kawasaki KLX 250 and it’s a grand more and while likely a better dirt bike would  give up on road use I think PLUS the tank’s a lot smaller and forget bags or boxes.

While I have to wait a bit unless things go really bad once the Himalayan are in the hands of riders I’ll likely end up with one.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 02:25:58 pm by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 04:21:18 pm
Thanks for the report, this all sounds very exciting!
The perfect bike to go exploring with. Here in the Nortwest there is a waiting list.  Every bike to date has been spoken for.    It’s as if they built this bike specifically for our region ........

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 04:52:57 pm
One other thing I should point out. As a old KLR-650 owner you learn very fast to up armor the bike due to all the very costly plastic it's cover in.  And the radiator on the left side that coat over $650.00 that you don't want to break. Well there's very little plastic on the Himalayan to worry about. While the oil cooler is hanging out on the left side it's tucked in fairly tightly and factory crash bars are about $99.00 (I think might be less maybe more) The skid plate is metal, on the KLR it's plastic junk).

The RE Boxes with brackets are right at $800.00 and while not a give away are a lot cheaper than any other ALU boxes I seen PLUS that includes the brackets, I paid close to $300.00 for the brackets for the KLR and ran cheap Pelican 620 plastic box. The Pelican are tougher than any ALU box BUT heavier that a crate of the tins boxes are.

The only thing I'll really look into is raising the seat up a bit for more legroom as I've got a bum knee. But I can't tell if I'll even need to do that until I get the bike this fall and get soon miles on it.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:51:45 pm
Old Coot. I just ordered the boxes, the price of them are $729 with the brackets included not $800 unless your dealer is over charging you.

Merrill, when I dropped my Himalayan off at Paradise HD RE in Beaverton Oregon fot the first service the owner Mike Derbun told me he has five more Himalayans coming in, in next month. I know one is spoken for a nether friend of mine brought one, so that’s four not spoken for. I’d call and give him a deposit on one. They are a asome bike. I love mine.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 02:14:24 pm
Maybe the price I saw was with tax? or install? or I just read it wrong? I'll find out when I spring for the bike come fall.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 05:15:40 pm
M-60,   All this sounds very encouraging.   I was wondering on how the availability of “add ons “ would be....
I talked with the Seattle dealer, the Oregon ( Beaverton) dealer , and a dealer way down in
Boise.   The Boise Idaho dealer is BMW,  called “big twin motorcycles”.  I know, I know,  the name shouts Harley!  But is BMW.  The ID. Dealer had a sold one on the floor, but was the most  knowledgeable  Of the 3 shops I inquired at.    Seattle was the closest , but I’ve not had good dealings with that part of the state.
So I’ve got a deposit on a bike in Idaho.   Would like to have saved some mileage and delt with Seattle, but their price was “6000 out the door or  maybe a little less”.  And info was “ cool bike , cool bike.....”
So I’m patiently awaiting a phone call from Boise.
I think you made a good choice ,  250klx VS Himalayan.   I’m selling my KLX to fund the Himmy, the KLX is a great bike ,but I’m thinking the Enfield will be better suited for what I do

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 09:14:50 pm
I guess the Or. Dealer is in Tigard,, not Beaverton..

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 12:50:54 am
Also I guess it was “ old coot” considering the 250klx.
I really should give myself a chance to wake up in the morning before posting......
That said ,  Coot,  the KLX is a great bike but the tail section is not going to support luggage long term.  There is just not enough support in the design to do so.   Also the seat is high,   With lots of suspension , which I just don’t need .   At this point in life I’m more in a “Willys Jeep” mindset.    The Himalayan is the closest thing to date to the Yamaha DT-1 which I thought was a splendid motorcycle. 

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 01:24:41 am
Funny you say that about the Yamaha as they had just gotten a DT 360 in. It was so clean that it looked like it had time traveled from the end of Yamaha's line. If they'ed sell that I'd buy it!

As far as the KLX I've ruled it out already.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:32:29 pm
I had a 73 RT 360 for years. I am seeing the Himalayan as it's spiritual successor somehow.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 09:00:07 pm
Merrill everything is cheaper in Idaho, No surprise. A lot has to do with much lower taxes.   Are going to trailer it home? Or does Big Twin have a fly and ride program? One thing to remember the first service is in the first 300 miles and you are not supposed to go over 40 mph in fifth gear in the first 300 miles. After that it’s 50 mph in fifth gear until 1250 miles round numbers.

The bags are not available as of yet, but I’m hopeful they will be soon. When I talked to Chad last they just left RE factory. For the $729 with racks that’s hard to beat for hard bags.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:03 am
M-60 ,  I’d load it in my pickup ,  thanks for letting me know about the service intervals.   I’ll be doing my own service so hopefully the bike will never see Big Twin again.  Just hoping it’s a sound machine.  I believe in careful run-in , so will adhere to the factory recommendations .   One thing I just found out was that The Boise dealer won’t take the KLX as a trade in.  I might inquire with Oregon and see if they would.  I just hate selling on Craigslist.   Boise is 6 hours one way.  Tigard is 5 hours one way,,,  Seattle is three depending on traffic.  I’ve no desire to head over to the I-5 parking lot to purchase a “cool bike, cool bike”????????.   Those break in miles are a pain,  but well worth the effort.   Thank you for your  thoughts and advice.  Anything else that comes to mind I’d be glad to hear it. 
COOT,  buy that 360 !  I mean “ cool bike, cool bike”????

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 02:14:03 am
I have a feeling the RE will be a lot less than the Yamaha.
2012 Kawasaki Versys