Author Topic: 2015 CGT Rear Wheel Spacers  (Read 2068 times)

enfieldoscar

• Scooter
on: May 10, 2018, 06:20:47 pm
Hi All.
I'm new here and have a CGT that I bought with 150 miles on clock second hand and I've just noticed that something isn't right with the rear brake alignment.
The rear disc is touching the brake caliper carrier. IE: when viewed from rear, the left side of the disc is touching the right side of the carrier. I noticed this recently when I spun the rear wheel whilst it was on the centre stand as It was binding very slightly. I know the previous owner has had the wheel out but something's not been put back correctly for sure and I don't know what it is as I can't source a workshop manual. It seems as though a spacer of about 2 mm is missing if that makes sense.
I've spoken to Hitchcocks and a local Enfield dealer and both say there are only 2 wheel spacers and each one is quite different in width meaning it's doubtful they've been put back in the wrong sides. I see on a post from youtube that they say to be sure to put the distance collar back when assembling the rear wheel but no one seems to know what this is and it doesn't show up on the dealer microfiche.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm reluctant to remove the wheel, not knowing what I'm looking for.

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:36:28 pm
You're talking about the disc rubbing against the brake caliper mounting arm? I think they come from the factory with a slight rub. A lot of people have commented about that. Mine does the same thing and the rear wheels never been off. I've got seven thousand miles on mine and by looking at it, it looks like it's rubbing but it's not rubbing enough to cut a Groove into the mounting arm. I think that's how they come from the factory.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

enfieldoscar

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:36 pm
Hi. Thanks for the reply.
The mounting arm is actually touching the disc. I've looked at a new one in a showroom and that one's not touching the disc like mine is. There's about 2mm clearance.
I typed in a search yesterday on this forum for "problem fitting rear wheel" and
I saw a post on this forum from someone in Australia I think, showing the exact same issue with a photo saying "this photo shows the assembly without the distance piece" as he called it. Then he shows another photo with the distance piece piece fitted and all looks good.
Only problem is, there's no photo or information regarding the distance piece.
The photo was identical to mine

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 02:05:46 pm
That's interesting. I bought my 2014 brand new. I noticed that the disc was ever so slightly rubbing against the mounting arm when I had around 300 miles on the bike. I vaguely remember somebody posting about this issue before. alot of people said that there's has always rubbed. The next time I was at the dealership I looked at two brand new continental's and both of their rear discs were very close if not slightly rubbing the caliper mounting arm. Like I said earlier, if mine is actually rubbing it's not enough to cut a Groove into the mounting arm. I've never had my rear wheel off. the downside to these bikes is the quality control issues. Maybe some bikes got the spacer and others didn't. But I know as far as my bike, the rear wheel is lined up. I don't have any excessive chain wear or rear sprocket wear. Maybe someone else as I thought on this issue.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 05:26:56 pm
My disc is also very close to the caliper bracket. I check the chain alignment with a Proficat se and it is spot on.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 09:14:19 pm
Looking down at the rear disk on my 14gt, there's only a few thousands clearance with the bracket (wheel has never be off) but it doesn't touch/drag.  Spacers are different sizes so you probably couldn't get wheel back in with them reversed.

enfieldoscar

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 07:42:30 pm
I can't get a one thou feeler gauge down mine so something isn't right and I'm going to strip the wheel out this weekend to try and sort it.
Hitchcock's have said the disc could be fitted back to front so I'll check that first.
I've had no time to look yet due to work but it's bank holiday weekend now (yes) so I can have a go at sorting it.