Author Topic: GT frame cracks  (Read 7186 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 11:18:21 pm
Muz, do you have a pic or part number of the rubber mount you used? I need to get one. 
The pantah is OK.  A muffler scuffed (shame 'cause it's an original Conti) a rearset thread torn out, end of the gear lever bent, smashed bar end mirror. And some road rash on the fairing and screen,  nothing a bit of high build primer won't sort out. Thank goodness the tank and seat weren't damaged.  Was kind of heart breaking seeing it slide down the road, versus the Motard which you just laugh at while you're sliding alongside it. It'll be ready when you are :)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 05:56:24 am
Muz, do you have a pic or part number of the rubber mount you used? I need to get one. 
The pantah is OK.  A muffler scuffed (shame 'cause it's an original Conti) a rearset thread torn out, end of the gear lever bent, smashed bar end mirror. And some road rash on the fairing and screen,  nothing a bit of high build primer won't sort out. Thank goodness the tank and seat weren't damaged.  Was kind of heart breaking seeing it slide down the road, versus the Motard which you just laugh at while you're sliding alongside it. It'll be ready when you are :)

Yeah don't have a part number but here's a pic. It has a bolt type thread out one end and a female thread in the other but I believe you can get them with with both the same either end as well.

Look forward to a ride on the Pantah.  :P
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: June 03, 2018, 06:05:47 am
Thanks cuz.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 09:49:57 pm
Just checked mine, looked fine. Put on my glasses just to be sure, tiny crack starting.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 11:21:56 pm
Seems like I'm not the only one then.  I hope it's a problem isolated to the muffler hanger. Would hate the head stem to break off one day...
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 12:34:05 pm
Just thinking with the rubber mount for the silencer. Would that  not put more strain on the support  bracket by the silencer being further outboard. Like a twisting force. May well reduce some vibration being transmitted though.
From Victoria Australia
Honda cbr 600rr Repsol Edition
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 07:57:42 am
Just thinking with the rubber mount for the silencer. Would that  not put more strain on the support  bracket by the silencer being further outboard. Like a twisting force. May well reduce some vibration being transmitted though.

Doesn't seem to.  I had both the Enfield Sports muffler and the Conti Muffler you see pictured solid mounted to the support bracket and both Mufflers cracked. I had the Conti welded up and fitted the Rubber mount you see and no more cracked Muffler and the Support bracket has cracked any further. It's interesting when you rev the engine from idle and let it come back to idle how much the Muffler moves with that rubber mount just with the resonance of the engine.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 10:45:19 am
This is probably a stupid question. Is the header pipe bolted securely at the bottom of the frame and the clamp joining between the silencer/header pipe is tight as well?
Must say that my Motad silencer support bracket bolts that fit into the silencer (2 off) have worked loose twice in about 3000km. This is inspite of spring lock washers being used. The single bolt on top of the silencer support bracket which fits up to the frame has not loosened in 5000km.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

KC1961

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 01:20:14 pm
Still to get the frame welded but in the meantime I've made up this. Only had 3mm aluminium but will re-make a neat one from 6mm sometime soon. Got the m8 rubber  from ebay.

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 08:43:53 am
Just thinking if the weight of the factory silencer may affect the vibration/strain on components. From memory my Motad silencer and stainless engine pipe together weigh 8 kilo less.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 01:27:41 pm
Yeah. I don't think the tonnage of the factory lamp post would do any favours. My one that broke off, though,  it has the same Motad as yours, since 1000km old.  The Motad bracket also broke during a long tour, replaced with the modified original muffler bracket.  But I imagine if I'd had the original can still on, it would have broken sooner. I think the rubber mount is probably a good solution.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 10:12:03 pm
Yes, chances are things may have broken earlier with the boat anchor silencer. I'll  follow with interest the longer term outcomes of your modifications. Since the alarm has been raised about frame cracks, I have been checking my bike. The only thing I found was one of the 4 bolts which fix the guages bracket to the top triple clamp has disapeared. I've said from the start that I bought the bike for its looks. Certainly not its build quality or rideability. In fact at my age of 68, this is the most unrefined bike I have ever owned.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R