Author Topic: New Classic 500 valve issue?  (Read 13784 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 24, 2018, 03:36:21 am
Hi all. I just bought a new Classic 500 Friday. It had 70 miles on it, and now has 160. It has developed a tick in the valve train that can sometimes be heard over the exhaust at certain RPM's. Is this normal? Will it subside over time? should I be concerned? How much valve tic is "normal" on these bikes? Could someone post a video of there engine idling and revving? Thanks in advance for any input.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:11:10 am by Bmadd34 »
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 07:36:14 am
probably just your auto decompressor clicking in and out. its nothing to worry about as they all do or most do at a certain rev range ;D

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:54:47 am
As above, it might be just the auto decomp. If you can post a short vid, peeps will be able to tell you if it's all good - which it probably is, might just need an increase in idle RPM.

There are various videos on YouTube of Enfield UCEs idling etc. You can go through them to cross-check  :)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:02:15 pm
Dealership just told me it was the Auto decompression on the exhaust cam. Nothing to worry about. These engines tic and clunk a bit, huh?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 07:43:54 pm
They tick and clunk a bit but there is a difference between the normal sounds and the auto decompressor sound.

The normal sound is a clickity, clickity, clickity, clickity sound.  It doesn't get much louder or quieter as the temperature or engine speed changes.

The auto decompressor sound is more of a whackity,  whackity, whackity sound that is considerably louder.  In fact, it is loud enough to make a person think his motorcycle is totally frinkled and shut it off.

The auto decompressor is supposed to stop working when the engine speed reaches 700 RPM (camshaft speed 350 RPM).  This speed is well below the recommended idle speed so the sound should not be heard after the engine is started.

That said, cold oil will sometimes cause the flyweight that is supposed to retract the decompressor to hang up and get stuck.  When this happens the loud whackity sound will show up.

If you hear this whackity, whackity sound, blip the throttle to rev the engine up a couple of times and it should quit, even with cold engine oil in the oil sump.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 08:48:20 pm
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 03:38:32 pm
I tried posting a video, but unfortunately wouldn't let me. :(

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 08:57:55 pm
https://youtu.be/mgdlWw8P46g this is engine cold start. https://youtu.be/MHWqvKBYF-Y this is engine after warm up. I sent theses to the dealer. The tech. sent them to Royal Enfield. Now they want me to bring it in and leave it, after telling me it was "Just the auto decompression and nothing to worry about". What do you guys think?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 09:06:15 pm
    It's the auto -decomp hanging up.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 09:22:14 pm
    It's the auto -decomp hanging up.
It sounds like vale clatter to me. I know it's hydraulic lifters. So that leaves only a few things: Oil pressure low, Loose rockers, collapsed lifters, etc. I'm not able to open her up or I'll void the warranty. Even though I served seven years in the ARMY working on pretty much everything the ARMY has that doesn't fly. and worked as a heavy equipment tech in the private sector since. Not to mention going to school for motorcycle repair. WTF do I know about a simple over head valve engine? I guess nothing according to RE.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:28:25 pm by Bmadd34 »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:21 pm
You think so? It sounds like vale clatter to me. I know it's hydraulic lifters. So that leaves only a few things: Oil pressure low, Loose rockers, collapsed lifters, etc. I'm not able to open her up or I'll void the warranty. Even though I served seven years in the ARMY working on pretty much everything the ARMY has that doesn't fly. and worked as a heavy equipment tech in the private sector since. Not to mention going to school for motorcycle repair. WTF do I know about a simple over head valve engine? I guess nothing according to RE.

Yes I really do think so.    Your first video in particular.   That TWACK  noise is your hydraulic lifters wheel colliding with the pin that protrudes up from the base circle of the exhaust Cam... and SMACKING it back down.   I can also hear it erratically bumping your lifter  while the bike is running in both video's.... which is something you obviously never want to happen !     I don't need to tell YOU about the implications of an engine running with it's exhaust valve cracked open, and the exhaust valve train being smacked around like that .   Pumped lifter from erratically hitting that pin around the compression stroke and into combustion..the lifter will start to bleed down as it is coming down from full lift, then lock when it hits the pin, then release and then will hopefully lock again in the correct spot as it goes up the ramp of the exhaust cam ?   Loss in compression , possibly burned valves and seats and etc.    If it were my bike and they would not LET me work on it  ::) ?   I would then ask them to remove that ill conceived , poorly designed and executed piece of crap from my exhaust cam ...Please !    ;D      Or a the very least, replace it.   The other little ticking noises you are hearing is the very large and heavy rocker arms tapping on the valve stems.

BTW... these bike have VERY good oil pressure, or the should if all is OK.     And I bet your's is is...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:47:37 pm by gashousegorilla »

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 11:21:02 pm

Yes I really do think so.    Your first video in particular.   That TWACK  noise is your hydraulic lifters wheel colliding with the pin that protrudes up from the base circle of the exhaust Cam... and SMACKING it back down.   I can also hear it erratically bumping your lifter  while the bike is running in both video's.... which is something you obviously never want to happen !     I don't need to tell YOU about the implications of an engine running with it's exhaust valve cracked open, and the exhaust valve train being smacked around like that .   Pumped lifter from erratically hitting that pin around the compression stroke and into combustion..the lifter will start to bleed down as it is coming down from full lift, then lock when it hits the pin, then release and then will hopefully lock again in the correct spot as it goes up the ramp of the exhaust cam ?   Loss in compression , possibly burned valves and seats and etc.    If it were my bike and they would not LET me work on it  ::) ?   I would then ask them to remove that ill conceived , poorly designed and executed piece of crap from my exhaust cam ...Please !    ;D      Or a the very least, replace it.   The other little ticking noises you are hearing is the very large and heavy rocker arms tapping on the valve stems.

BTW... these bike have VERY good oil pressure, or the should if all is OK.     And I bet your's is is...

My apologies if I came off a bit salty, that was not my intention. I got off the phone with the service tech. a bit ago, and he said for me to bring it in first thing in the morning and he will start on it first thing; hopefully get it back to me same day while I wait. They are open 9-4 tomorrow. Let me give a bit of history if I may. While I was in school for Motorcycles, I had to do a history report on a Brand of bike, and a report on a dealership/service shop. I chose Royal Enfield as the Brand, and this dealership for the reports, as they are the only RE dealer in this area period. I spent the day there with them, hour long test ride on the bike of my choice(C5 of course), and a bunch of free merch. These individuals are NOT strangers to me. They know me, as well as my passion for this brand. hopefully all is well tomorrow.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 11:37:24 pm
 No need for apologies, I didn't take it as being salty ... Please, I'm from NJ, that's nothin' !  LOL !  I took it as you being frustrated with your bike... and rightly so.  ;)   When one thinks repeatedly that something ain't right ?   It's usually not....   And that thing whacking around like that is not. ;)

Listen to the the Engine RUNNING on Low compression for the fist 15 seconds or so as the lifter keeps jumping over that pin.   It almost stalls at one point from the low compression .   Then listen to the engine after that THWACK !  after  some compression is restored....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgdlWw8P46g&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:56:03 pm by gashousegorilla »

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2018, 12:11:09 am
I can't be 1oo% sure that is what it is. But that being said, I'm not gonna say you're wrong either. I've been wrong before. But without being able to trouble shoot properly, I can't really say.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 12:45:08 am
I can't be 1oo% sure that is what it is. But that being said, I'm not gonna say you're wrong either. I've been wrong before. But without being able to trouble shoot properly, I can't really say.

Well... one can confirm and test  it with a compression tester and leak down test, if it is happening repeatedly.    Say you do  three compression tests  in a row, and initially your compression is good.  Cool !  Then while doing the third one, the compression all of a sudden goes south...  maybe down to around 90 psi ?    What the hell ?!       And it stays low doing another ?     Ummmmm... .    And then another, still low ?!   Ummmm...    Lock the motor in at TDC , and fill that chamber with air.  You might hear air blowing past that cracked open exhaust valve from a pumped lifter...

Really, one should not have to think  "  Boy ?... I better go rev that bike and free up the decomp , before I cause valve train issues  ? ".   Just sayin'...