Author Topic: Why No 350 in US?  (Read 6730 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
on: April 21, 2018, 06:26:24 am
Does anyone know?... It seems they would do well since other manufacturers offer 250s that sell, (I love my Suzuki TU250X and would love to have a RE 350 to keep it company).  I know that many in the States like big bikes, but I think there is still a very fertile market for smaller ones.  Has anyone heard any rumors that the 350s might get over here sometime?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 08:54:20 pm
   I'm thinking because of the low power out put of the Enfield 350's ?   Probably around 12 or 13 HP at the wheel ?    The Japanese 250's and 300's are more on par power wise with a 500 UCE engine ...
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 08:58:29 pm
The Jap bikes are designed as lightweight 250cc bikes. The UCE 350cc has to lug around the same weight as the 500cc, with even less power. Fuel economy is not a major issue for the Western market (yet). All-in-all I doubt they’d sell many. A lot of US riders already want a bigger Himalayan and twin. Twas ever thus. No substitute for cubes.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 09:33:44 pm
The 350 was imported during the 1990s, along with the 500. The 350 didn't sell.
It's as simple as that
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:07:42 am
It's really too bad they didn't sell, and I can't see why.  I mean they are rated at about 20 hp, and my 250 Suzuki is 16 HP and I think it's plenty.  Yes, I know some of the very high revving 250 bikes can get closer to 30 HP at 8000 rpm.  But I certainly have no interest in wringing a bike like that, and I know I'm not alone.  I would gladly sacrifice the 7 extra HP of the 500 for the lower vibes of the 350 (and a bit less weight).  Ah well... has anyone here ridden both to compare?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 01:38:05 am
The Jap bikes are designed as lightweight 250cc bikes. The UCE 350cc has to lug around the same weight as the 500cc, with even less power. Fuel economy is not a major issue for the Western market (yet). All-in-all I doubt they’d sell many. A lot of US riders already want a bigger Himalayan and twin. Twas ever thus. No substitute for cubes.

Logic rules.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 02:09:25 am
I don't understand why they are only selling the Rumbler 350 in Australia but not the the 500 version.
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 02:28:10 am
well sometimes the search engine can be your best friend BUT I believe wildbill had a classic350 in ash white according to the archives it's full report is back on page 18 and under bike 9 ;D and one of many which.....bit the dust!..LOL

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 03:38:52 am
well sometimes the search engine can be your best friend BUT I believe wildbill had a classic350 in ash white according to the archives it's full report is back on page 18 and under bike 9 ;D and one of many which.....bit the dust!..LOL
Thank you sir for the guidance.  Seems like I always have a difficult time with forum searches... but I did find your write-up.  Wish I could get the chance to try one out.
Thanks

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 03:56:44 am

Pity, fer I'd rather happy with a 350 set up much like this one. (I'd set the mudguard better though.) :o
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 04:54:53 am
they actually sold a very similar kit here and available in Melbourne Australia for about $2000 extra but by that time it was in C5 territory.
I thought about buying the kit and trying it on a C5 but somehow got sidetracked along the way.
right now my interests are in that euro4 engine temp sensor I broke and am having trouble getting hold of ::) so its walking for me!....LOL

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 01:54:00 pm
The 350 was imported during the 1990s, along with the 500. The 350 didn't sell.
It's as simple as that

Like the man says, they TRIED to sell them here in the States awhile back, but there just weren't many takers, most folks simply opting for the bigger 500s for not much more. That said, used 350s do pop up from time to time on craigslist.

Personally, though I might give a 350 a good home if it were basically given to me, I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to actively seek one out. The 500s are enough of a maintenance handful and performance compromise, and whatever the case may be in India, where 350s are by far the commonest model of Bullet, sourcing some of those special decades old 350-specific parts stateside must be like finding spares for a 1912 Hupmobile.

Up there in Alaska, I'd have thought a Himalayan might be right in its element...that, or a really well-found used or new Bullet 500 with appropriate tires for your surroundings. A '90s or earlier 350? Well, my hunch is that you could save yourself a lot of time and money by instead just sticking some old rusty iron wood stove in your shed. You could go in there and sit on it now and then, and it'll likely go every bit as fast as a 350 would up there in pretty short order, once pretty much anything went wrong with it.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 08:25:50 pm
Many thanks all for your thoughts and ideas.  I'll just have to dream of a 350 for now  ;)
And for sure, a Himalayan would be very at home in my surrounding, which is why I'm keeping a close eye and your posts in that thread.  It's just for those time when my adventures will keep me on the blacktop, a little 350 Bullet was sounding attractive.  But honestly, my Suzuki is awesome for that application and I don't really "need" anything else.  I also have a Honda NC700X for longer touring, so again, I "need" another bike like I need a hole in the head.  But I'm sure you all know how that goes   ::)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 11:43:57 pm
Many thanks all for your thoughts and ideas.  I'll just have to dream of a 350 for now  ;)
And for sure, a Himalayan would be very at home in my surrounding, which is why I'm keeping a close eye and your posts in that thread.  It's just for those time when my adventures will keep me on the blacktop, a little 350 Bullet was sounding attractive.  But honestly, my Suzuki is awesome for that application and I don't really "need" anything else.  I also have a Honda NC700X for longer touring, so again, I "need" another bike like I need a hole in the head.  But I'm sure you all know how that goes   ::)
Why not a 500?
It's the same size and weight as a 350, with the same engine with just a smaller bore.
If you want less power, just don't twist the throttle as hard.
 :)
Don't let the extra 150cc stop you from your dream.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 01:46:13 am
When I think about a 350 the first thing that comes to mind is the Ducati 350 Sebring.

Loads of fun and power or so it seemed.

Actually, it didn't crank out all that much power but it only weighed around 275 pounds so what it did have made for a lot of performance.

The Royal Enfield Bullet 350 on the other hand weighs in around 400 pounds.
That's like riding the Ducati with your girlfriend sitting on the back.

Not much for performance and it didn't cost all that much less than the 500 so darn few wanted to buy one.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary