Author Topic: Future Changes to the Bullet/Classic?  (Read 2578 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
on: April 18, 2018, 03:40:47 am
Was wondering if any of you well informed folks here have heard of any future plans to change things up on the Bullet/Classic?  I'm mostly wondering about changes that might help reliability and maybe more "refined" engineering.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love the old-school simplicity of these machines and hope they continue to be low HP, low-revving, long-stroke, torquey air-cooled thumpers.  But with some of the recent refinements seen on the Himalayan and the new twins, I wonder if maybe something like counterbalancing the engine to help with vibes might be coming to the Bullets as well.  What say you?

Thanks

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 04:13:41 am
Counterbalancing a bullet? That would be like forcing Steely Dan to use acoustic guitars.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 05:39:07 am
Without redesigning the entire engine, I can't see any way to add counterbalancing to the engine.

Seeing as how the old singles are the main seller for Royal Enfield in India with most of their 600,000+ bikes per year sales I doubt that they intend to quit making them or to redesign them.   Yes, most of these are 350cc powered but these old models are RE's bread and butter.

Sometime before 2020, RE will add anti-lock brakes to all of their models.
The Government of India has mandated this deadline for the older models. 

As for reliability, RE is constantly making changes to improve it.
Things like the new style fuses and improved wiring harnesses are just a few of the things they have changed in recent years.  I see no reason why they won't continue with making further improvements in the future.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 06:13:17 am
I know they are great sellers as they are, but they certainly have tweeked them already with EFI, rear disc brakes and soon ABS.  So that got me wondering about engine "improvements", and if maybe they might even try a Himalayan engine in the Bullet.  Just pondering the possibilities...

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:29:41 am
I guess I’m the odd man out here. I really like my 2010 Bullet Deluxe just the way it is. (Well maybe do a better job of attaching the seat cover to the steel seat pan) When RE has the Interceptor in a 750cc motor I will then add it to my stable. I think then I can die happy.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 10:47:45 am
Unrefined is there best asset , I wouldn't want it any other way.
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 01:52:04 pm
The iron barrel Bullets only need a proper crank build. No counterbalance necessary.

All the problems are in the factory build quality.
Probably look for a counterbalance and other junk on the next engine version.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 05:01:42 pm
Carberry vibration reduction plate is helping many people to reduce their vibrations considerably.  :)

Google it, youtube has many videos, even some info can be searched on this forum.  ;)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

AK Mike

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 01:49:40 am
Carberry vibration reduction plate is helping many people to reduce their vibrations considerably.  :)

Google it, youtube has many videos, even some info can be searched on this forum.  ;)
Oh yes... I very much like this gizmo!  Thanks for the head's-up... I had not heard about this till now.