Author Topic: Does everyone who runs a enfield bullet iron barrel...  (Read 12277 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 03:59:48 am
The Trifield (unit 350 or 500 Triumph twin in RE Crusader frame) was quite a popular special in the UK back in the day. You can still get the engine plates to build one from Unity Equipe.

it looks a mess..

This one?  ;D

Er... yeah, home-brew build quality varied enormously! One important job was to find a separate oil tank that was a decent fit, the Crusader oil tank was intergral with the engine and gearbox. If it is this one it also has RE's own leading link forks.

Feeling brave?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

banjelele

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 05:13:38 am
To answer the original question my 350 bullet was my daily driver for about 8 years. I had moved to a new unexplored part of the province and spent my summers exploring every backroad and trail I could find. These machines are pretty good on back country excursions. Admittedly I got even further back into no man's land once I got a 1975 Yamaha 125 enduro but I certainly found all kinds of adventure on my Bullet.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 03:24:18 pm
Answer to original question: Yes, I have a Ducati also. But I use it only when I need to go faster than 55,(out with the boys, following grandma to the doctors, etc.) I can however, understand your opinion. Coexisting with a bullet Original is somewhat of a lifestyle. The successful Original Bullet operator will invariably have many of these traits listed here: 1:More hair in ears than on head  2: Waist of trousers under armpits 3: Toenails the color of school buses 4: Constant search for restrooms  5: Nosehair suitable for braiding(thx Bilgemaster) 6:The term "your growth" refers to that thing on your back.etc. Soo Where do you stand ?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:35:36 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 03:36:10 pm
I, for one, do not have more hair in my ears than on my head.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 03:44:06 pm
I, for one, do not have more hair in my ears than on my head.  ;)
You also do not have an Original Bullet , but I suspect there is one in your future ;D
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 03:45:23 pm
I may have to drop the pants waist down a bit from my armpits before that happens.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 04:33:02 am
Most of the needs are maintenance.  There are some internal engine weaknesses, but if you ride below 5000 rpm and above 3000 rpm, it should be okay.  Don't lug it, don't rev it too high.

Oh, I wish.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 07:49:07 am
My hat's off to you, cyrusb. Your description of "following grandma to the doctors"  as characterizing those outer limits beyond an "iron belly" Bullet's performance is the finest description that has ever been penned, or perhaps ever will be. As for your other descriptions of the common characteristics of successful old school Bullet operators, you seem to have overlooked that resplendent nosehair suitable for braiding.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 12:00:49 pm
Bilgemaster, That is perfect! Let "Resplendent nosehair suitable for braiding" be #5. 

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 06:08:50 pm
I run an EFI with a carb fitted, whilst it's not an iron barrel model it has everything I wanted my last Iron barrel model to have - stronger crank, steel con rod, (very) high capacity oil pumps, pushrods that don't need regular adjustment etc etc etc.
Now it has a carb fitted if it wasn't my only bike I'd have no hesitation in having it as an only bike. The feel of the engine with a carb has a more authentic feel to it.