Author Topic: Official Bullet Announcement?  (Read 7990 times)

deejay

on: August 17, 2007, 03:29:18 pm
The N.Z. importer made an official announcement about the future of the classic bullet. Does CMW have any info on this that they can share with us?

prof_stack

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 04:26:36 pm
Yeah, I read that last night on Yahoo's RE group.  I think the future is coming upon us pretty quickly.  For me that would be a good thing for me as I will likely be riding an RE in 2008. 

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 05:15:18 pm
Just read the message you refer to. I can't decide now if I should get one of the last iron-lungers or one of the new breed. *Can't wait* to see that J-model replica.

In the Files section of the Yahoo! group there's a PDF file (prototype.pdf) containing a photo of a black Electra-X with the FI/UCE engine in it. Frankly, while it doesn't have that wires-and-electrodes look of the old engines, it fits with the bike's aesthetic simplicity.

I'm of two minds about all this change. While I'm not a stickler for purity-at-all-costs, what makes the Classic bullet unique is that it is in fact a continuously produced (though slightly enhanced) model for the last fifty years. Where else can you find something that original today that's not a replica? It's almost comforting, like an old cathedral, to know that something like the Bullet still lives.

On the other hand, I can assuage myself with the fact that Harley Sportsters, another continually produced model, have evolved much more over the years and are still authentic in a similar way. It's just a parallel event for Enfield, only beginning *much* later. And hey, if I can get an EFI Enfield and not break down in a bad neighborhood, it's worth it if it saves me once (like ABS).

Exciting times, anyway.

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 05:40:15 pm
Just read the message you refer to. I can't decide now if I should get one of the last iron-lungers or one of the new breed. *Can't wait* to see that J-model replica.

In the Files section of the Yahoo! group there's a PDF file (prototype.pdf) containing a photo of a black Electra-X with the FI/UCE engine in it. Frankly, while it doesn't have that wires-and-electrodes look of the old engines, it fits with the bike's aesthetic simplicity.

I'm of two minds about all this change. While I'm not a stickler for purity-at-all-costs, what makes the Classic bullet unique is that it is in fact a continuously produced (though slightly enhanced) model for the last fifty years. Where else can you find something that original today that's not a replica? It's almost comforting, like an old cathedral, to know that something like the Bullet still lives.

On the other hand, I can assuage myself with the fact that Harley Sportsters, another continually produced model, have evolved much more over the years and are still authentic in a similar way. It's just a parallel event for Enfield, only beginning *much* later. And hey, if I can get an EFI Enfield and not break down in a bad neighborhood, it's worth it if it saves me once (like ABS).

Exciting times, anyway.
Hey, you talkin' about breakin' in my hood.......Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

deejay

Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:12:19 pm

Exciting times, anyway.

I bought the classic bullet BECAUSE it was the old technology, thats what makes it unique. If I wanted a new retro bike with new technology, I sure as hell wouldn't be buying something designed and built in a factory in India. But hey, maybe they'll prove me wrong and make a reliable bike that the motorcycle community embraces. I just hope the parts don't become expensive for my bike.

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2007, 08:49:22 pm
I'm actually excited about seeing how these new models look and ride. I've been looking at pictures of the old "G's" and "J's" and I really like the way they look.  I too am drawn to the mechanical aspect of the older style motors but at the same time I realize that times are changing and I can either support a company that tries to compromise as best they can or I can be stuck with a bike that I can't get parts for because they didn't change and went under.....I prefer the former.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a twin down the road...............

Adam
REA Member #10

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 10:49:52 pm
I bet a "new" Interceptor or Meteor would sell like hotcakes.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 10:54:13 pm
The chances of India making a twin are slight.  The Indian market goes for very small displacement bikes - the Bullet is the largest you will see over there, most months.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

prof_stack

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:22:48 am
Although CMW hasn't announced anything yet, "my" dealer Vince said that sometime in Mid 2008 the new unit construction motor would be unveiled.  He lamented a little that the Classic motor will be discontinued.  Emission limits are tightening up again.

He also said that he expects the 2008 AVL models to arrive around December.

Also said he'd love for me to buy one of his 9 remaining Classic Enfields.  Hmmm...

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:35:45 am
It is true that the new UCE engine will be introduced this Fall in England. I will be very surprised if it is available for sale in Europe before 2008 however. Sometimes the marketing guys get ahead of the production guys. It will NOT be available for sale in the US for at least a year and perhaps longer.We like to let the Brits test new models and work out the kinks before we bring them over here. The factory has not done any homologation for the US yet either. That usually takes some time. The Classic engine will not go away for 2008 in the US.  It will in Europe but not here. At some point emmission norms will eliminate the engine here also, but we have at least another year here in the US. I am going to India next week to look at a Classic model with the Lean-Burn engine in it, but will not decide if it will see the light of day in the US until  I see it and ride it. If we decide to bring it in, it will not be until sometime in 2008. The 2008 models will carry a MSRP of $200 more than 2007 models. This is a good time to buy if you are on the fence,
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

deejay

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 01:19:58 am
It is true that the new UCE engine will be introduced this Fall in England. I will be very surprised if it is available for sale in Europe before 2008 however. Sometimes the marketing guys get ahead of the production guys. It will NOT be available for sale in the US for at least a year and perhaps longer.We like to let the Brits test new models and work out the kinks before we bring them over here. The factory has not done any homologation for the US yet either. That usually takes some time. The Classic engine will not go away for 2008 in the US.  It will in Europe but not here. At some point emmission norms will eliminate the engine here also, but we have at least another year here in the US. I am going to India next week to look at a Classic model with the Lean-Burn engine in it, but will not decide if it will see the light of day in the US until  I see it and ride it. If we decide to bring it in, it will not be until sometime in 2008. The 2008 models will carry a MSRP of $200 more than 2007 models. This is a good time to buy if you are on the fence,

Cool, take lots of pics when you are over there!

prof_stack

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 01:35:26 am
It is true that the new UCE engine will be introduced this Fall in England. I will be very surprised if it is available for sale in Europe before 2008 however.  It will NOT be available for sale in the US for at least a year and perhaps longer.  The Classic engine will not go away for 2008 in the US.  It will in Europe but not here. At some point emmission norms will eliminate the engine here also, but we have at least another year here in the US. I am going to India next week to look at a Classic model with the Lean-Burn engine in it, but will not decide if it will see the light of day in the US until  I see it and ride it. If we decide to bring it in, it will not be until sometime in 2008.  This is a good time to buy if you are on the fence,
Kevin, thanks for the info!  Good to know more about what will be happening. 

Cyclepath

• age is just a number
  • Scooter
  • SW Washington state
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 03:08:05 am

Also said he'd love for me to buy one of his 9 remaining Classic Enfields.  Hmmm...

prof-   you are from seattle, yes?   i drive a semi right now for a living and get up that way from time to time.  where is this dealer that has 9 classics left? and do you have his phone number?   is he wanting to make any deals on these to clear his inventory . 

cyclepath
2004 v-strom dl100
1993 goldwing aspy
1980 goldwing, nekid
1994 virago 535
1994 yamaha tw200
2003 yamaha tw200
1973 bultaco 250 alpina
1968 suzuki ts 90
1967 honda ct 90
1978 honda express 50cc
and a bunch of other crap

gapl53

Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 02:49:10 pm
Thanks Kevin,

That's what I like about CMW. They tell you up front what's going on and you can believe them.

hutch

• Grease Monkey
  • Til death do us part
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 03:20:13 pm
Although CMW hasn't announced anything yet, "my" dealer Vince said that sometime in Mid 2008 the new unit construction motor would be unveiled.  He lamented a little that the Classic motor will be discontinued. 
  I was wondering if the "unit" motor will be reminisent of the 250cc Clipper, only in 500cc,or if it will have a whole new look? I liked the winged RE emblem on the right case half. Maybe Royal Enfield 1 could shed some light on this.   Hutch
You learn from your mistakes, and I have LEARNED a lot.