Author Topic: Hitchcocks original carby conversion kit for sale  (Read 2932 times)

swingarm

• Scooter
on: April 16, 2018, 10:06:00 am
If anyone is interested I'm selling the carby kit I've taken off my 2009 C5 to make it legal for registration here.

This is the original kit with replacement ignition unit and flywheel. It's mostly complete except for a side cover gasket (if needed) and possibly an o-ring and some fuel line. There are a couple of minor issues to declare with the ignition unit - a broken connector tab and the internal needed resoldering soon after it was fitted but no issues since with that. The AMAL comes with an extra slide that was needed to make my setup run nicely.

It's not for anyone who isn't prepared to fiddle and tweak. I enjoyed that and the lovely 'fat' responsiveness it gave. No idea what fuel consumption was like. It just worked otherwise.

Much prefer local pickup in Melbourne (Australia). It's fairly heavy with the flywheel so Oz shipping is possible, but sorry I can't ship outside Australia.

If there's any interest I'll put up some photos and a parts list on the weekend when I'm back home with access to the shed.

It cost around AU$900 to get here 3-4 years ago (what price fun?) with the shipping weight involved and I'm aware the later kit is cheaper and lighter. Any reasonable offers considered with preference for local pickup.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:25:00 am by swingarm »

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:39 am
What a pity I live in the U.K. I have the later, cruder conversion but would prefer the earlier one. Bargain for someone more local, I feel.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:30:10 am
I looked up the invoice on the Hitchcocks site.
AMAL MK1 CARBURETTOR CONVERSION FOR EFI (EX. 535cc CONT GT)
Part No. 200118
£435.00 + £65.00 shipping
Purchase date:27/6/2014 (time flies)

The part number hasn't changed for the newer kit.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 01:58:21 pm
Maybe not, but I bought mine in 2016. The one for the C5/B5 was less money than you quote (from memory around £330 (certainly a lot cheaper than a PCV). The CGT one was dearer, apparently because of additional mounting hardware. Whatever, the kit uses the original ECU and generator. Whilst the fuelling side is fine I suspect that the ignition timing is less sophisticated as it doesn’t have variable input from various sensors that have to be disconnected. Hitchcock’s told me that they found the later, simpler version works just as well. Maybe so; without direct comparison it’s hard to say.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 09:19:35 am
The old kit includes a small wiring loom with connectors to +12v, earth, coil, pickup. and coil+pickup into the new ignition unit. Everything else is disconnected. Throttle body, fuel pump and O2 sensor are gone of course. The sensor on the engine is just disconnected and the unused connector tucked away back into the loom.

Any timing witchcraft must be happening in the new ignition unit which now gets one trigger pulse per revolution from the pickup instead of the full position sensing with the old flywheel.

Delightfully minimalist compared with EFI.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:29:24 am by swingarm »

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:13:59 am
If anyone is interested I'm selling the carby kit I've taken off my 2009 C5 to make it legal for registration here.

For registration / inspection purposes, they shouldn't say anything about the carb? The 350s are all carb versions, so I'm hoping that the inspectors are not so pedantic about that.

Here in NSW, the nice bike shops authorised to conduct inspections by the Roads and Maritime Services check for road-worthiness in the sense of the usual tyre wear, indicators, brakes, brake lights, mirrors, horn etc. Obviously if it's spewing mad fumes everywhere, then it's a different story  ;D
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 05:46:25 pm
The change from stock EFI to carburetor is considered to be a modification to the emissions system. It would be acceptable if the carburetor and all the associated bits, including crankcase ventilation, was a stock alternative for that model vehicle. Otherwise it's a modification that would need to pass an emissions test and it's doubtful it would.

I contacted a couple of testers who said an obviously after-market fuel system that isn't an equivalent replacement or component change wouldn't be waved through.

:-\ perhaps I'll keep the bike, put the AMAL back on and flog off the EFI bits  ;D There's a real soft spot for it despite the Himalayans beckoning seductively from Mid Life Cycles showroom  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:53:25 pm by swingarm »

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:07 pm
I don't know if this is any help for an Australian import, but the Indian home market 500 UCEs continued to use carburettors for some time, so they were a factory fitment!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:05:58 pm
I don't know if this is any help for an Australian import, but the Indian home market 500 UCEs continued to use carburettors for some time, so they were a factory fitment!

A.

It's the change - emissions downgrade - for this model bike as registered that gets them. Yes, it doesn't make sense considering what does get passed but it's too obvious 'downgrade' to do that. Here in Oz it depends on the state you're in. Victoria happens to be more strict. Probably more so in the city than out in a regional area.

Except for Harleys. Anything seems possible with them.... :D

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 02:27:05 am
I see where you're coming from. On the registration papers it does not mention that the fuel injection system is EFI or carb (in NSW). I don't think it's even mentioned on the frame downtube badges.

However, if some 'by-the-book' inspector was going through the actual specs of that year's particular model, then they can object I guess.

But I agree, keep your bike! and get the Himalayan  :)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies