Author Topic: Around the World in 1932  (Read 1573 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: April 14, 2018, 10:50:56 pm
In 1932, Robert Fulton, grandson of the fellow who first used steam power to power a ship or railroad engine in the U.S., if I recall correctly, rode a Douglas motorcycle around the World.  He wrote a book in 1937 titled "One Man Caravan" (I have a copy) and much later assembled a video of his trip using his old film records, titled "Twice Upon a Caravan" (which I also have).  This article summarizes his trip and includes 5 minutes of his film.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/solo-around-the-world-in-1932-the-robert-edison-fulton-jr-story
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:18:03 pm
I just read that book, it was great! I look forward to watching the film! I've been reading a few books like that lately. They really are priceless accounts of the old world.

The stories of Afghanistan were incredible...it explains alot. And lawless China, and the pirates!

Currently reading "Around the world on a motorcycle 1928 - 1936". Very well written and translated.

Two Hungarian guys spend 8 years going all over the world with an old harley / sidecar rig. Incredible story!

They go right through some of the same places as Mr. Fulton, right about the same time!

Also read "Jupitors Travells", a cult classic, (around 1973 or so a British guy goes around the world on a Triumph Bonneville)! Also very well written.

I have another that's next where a guy is riding another Henderson, I think its about a 1920 or so...

Those were the days!!!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:34:28 pm
Would this be 'The Motorcycle Adventurer'?

Carl Stearns Clancy: The First Motorcyclist to Ride Around the World 1912-1913 by Dr. Gregory W.Frazier.

Good book.

Geoff Hill also did the trip called 'In Clancy's Boots'

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:56:55 am
Yes, Motorcycle Adventurer! "Carl Stearns Clancy: first motorcyclist to ride around the world 1912 - 1913" (on a 1912 Henderson  :o).

I have about 23 pages left to read in "Around the World on a Motorcycle" then I'm jumping right into Motorcycle Adventurer.

I forgot to mention one more recent book; "One life to ride, A Motorcycle Journey To The High Himalayas", by Ajit Harisinghani.

It was a quick read, but well written about a contemporary ride across India, to the Himalayas and back on a Royal Enfield. Very nice spiritual, cultural, aspects included.  :)

Getting back to the original book, One man Caravan, I am having some trouble finding the dvd. I did find one site that offers it but it's $30.00 probably worth it, but I am trying to find a better price.  (Most of my books were more affordable previously owned copies) Maybe I should try that Revzilla link?  ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.