Author Topic: Mind the gap  (Read 2444 times)

lesley64

• Neophyte
on: April 14, 2018, 08:05:49 pm
Hi All,
My 1st post, so be gentle with me.
So a little about myself.
Things have been on hold for a while but Im on the comeback trail. As my dear bloke said " Sympathy huh!! look in a lexicon,,it's between shite and syphilis..Bless him.
I past my test in the '80s and bought a 250 Super Dream which I rode until my daughter made my tummy too big to lean.
15 years back I got a Bantam which was a nightmare! I've always serviced my bikes, well oil,plugs and the like and Im Ok-ish with minor electrics, nuts and bolts but most oily things, well hopefully Im a quick learner.
Several swops, trades, begs and borrows later, I've had a Bog seat, the 90 mind, that never missed a beat for 4ish years.
A 07 Woodsman came up at the right time/money so I bought it.
Though whoever designed it has a funny idea of what a Woodie should look like.
And that pipe. Has there ever been an uglier pipe. That has gone into the " maybe it will be useful later " corner of the garage. Doubt it though. I got boxes of spares with it including 2 silencers but the fella didnt want to " spoil the Woodsman line!" to use them.
The 2nd thing I dont like is the pegs are so far back, which brings me nicely to my problem.
Changing to normally placed pegs, I'll need to do something with the brake pedal but that can wait for now.
I cannot get the bar through. It's not round like the filler bar is.I been undoing nuts and malleting stuff but I cant get them to accept the bar.
Surely there must be a way. Ive posted a pic from the inside underneath. You can see the gap that needs to be recovered. I couldnt find anything on the forum that covers this.
Thank you in advance if anyone can help me.
Lesley.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:57:22 pm
Can't see exactly what your doing but if it's what I think it is you have to loosen all the mounting bolts and push it into place.
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 04:09:18 pm
The Woodsman version of the Electra-X was marketed by the UK importers for 2008 at the tail end of the AVL models here, I don't think any were sold in the USA, unlike the (genuine!) Redditch versions during the late 1950s.

This clearly shows the weird l/h side high-level exhaust and rear set foot pegs, as referenced in Lesley's message.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ringoism

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:14:55 am
My (Indian) Machismo AVL has footpegs mounted on a hexagonal shaft that slides through the chassis...  I'm seeing the shallow hex recess on yours but the rest, which is smaller, looks round.  Not entirely sure what we're looking at, though.  Maybe you could post a few more photos?

-Steve

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:09 pm
The hexagonal foot-rest bar is common to pretty well all pre-EFI Bullets, don't know what the current bikes have. Without the normal foot rests in place on this model, owing to the use of rear-sets, I would have hoped that the UK importers would at least have fitted a short bar in its place to help keep everything together - did they fit one, Lesley?

The picture is a shot taken from in between the rear engine plates looking **out** through the hole for the hexagonal foot-rest bar. The round hole in the frame lug is supposed to line up with the hex hole in the engine plate, which would let you see right through. But as the frame lug 'ole does not quite line-up with the hexagonal hole in the engine plate the mis-alignment will, apart from spoiling the view from between the engine plates, make it more difficult to fit the foot-rest bar.

ERC's suggestion to slacken off all the other engine mounting bolts might just help line things up just enough for the foot rest bar to be driven through.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...