HPRE

Menu

96 Guests, 1 User
Scotty Brown

Author Topic: Weird electrical issue  (Read 208 times)

mathewmerrin

• Neophyte
Weird electrical issue
« on: April 14, 2018, 04:26:41 am »
Hello guys, my CGT is acting funny lately. The whole ignition, speedometer, tell tale lights etc seems to go blank all of a sudden.

When I switch the ignition key back and forth the speedometer does light up, however if I press the engine kill switch on , thumb the starter, headlights etc it again dies on me.

The speedometer needle also acts weird, never happens when Im riding the bike.

I checked the fuse's, battery and I'm not able to pinpoint the exact cause.

Your help will be much appreciated as I use it daily to commute to work.
Yamaha RD 350
Honda CB500
RE Continental GT
Yamaha R15

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • Live slow, die whenever
Re: Weird electrical issue
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:11:05 am »
No idea if this will help but if it were mine, I'd unmount the instrument pod, unscrew the back off it, unplug the wiring connector to the clocks and plug it back in again. Just in case it's a loose/dirty/whatever connector.
Might be a safer bet to ride the cb500 to work?  :P
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
Monster
DR250
TRX850
DRZ400SM

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 01:15:31 pm »
How’s the kill switch? It may be intermittently working?!

mathewmerrin

• Neophyte
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:19:44 pm »
Thanks guys, I cleaned the battery terminals and the surrounding, wires near it.

I have noticed that the lights don't completely black out, in fact at night I noticed that the neutral light still glows very faintly.

Despite all my efforts the problem persists, pressing any switches make the speedometer to completely go blank, however the neutral light glows very faintly.
Yamaha RD 350
Honda CB500
RE Continental GT
Yamaha R15

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 01:15:04 pm »
I haven't heard of a CGT having the problem but the C5's especially have a problem with the positive (+) wire that connects to the battery.

This has one large wire that goes to the starter solenoid to power the starter motor.
It also has one red smaller wire that connects to the large wire under a rubber cover.

More than a few have found this smaller wire which provides ALL of the electrical power to the ignition switch and subsequently to all of the things needed to make the bike run is either broken or disconnected right where below the wire connector lug.

I suggest peeling the rubber cover off of this connection and checking this small wire and its connection.
If nothing else, knowing it is in good shape and is not the cause of the problem will remove one more possible source from the puzzle.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 01:34:23 pm »
I haven't heard of a CGT having the problem but the C5's especially have a problem with the positive (+) wire that connects to the battery.

Not just the small positive wire, but the small negative wire, and also the actual metal connector at the battery for the negative wires (mine broke the OEM one and a "quality" NAPA replacement!) - all are prone to breakage.  The heat-shrink insulation can hold things together so it looks like nothing's wrong, and small amounts of current get through, but a big draw can shut everything down.  It happened to me - everything fine until I turned on the headlight, then nothing.
My other wheels:www.midcoast.com/~beechhil/vielle My ISP (gwi.com) stopped hosting all user websites, deleted them without notice!  >:( grrr..

Gremlin heads for the hills…