HPRE

Menu

90 Guests, 1 User
9fingers

Author Topic: UCE Cams  (Read 2325 times)

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
Re: UCE Cams
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 11:35:17 am »
GHG -- i just ordered Peter's UCE Cams from eBay -- only two left for the rest of you...although I think he will make so more if you ask nicely. :)  You didn't mention the cams came with a fin intake.  I'm asking Peter for more information about that.

Do you have a link to Peter's cams?  Coming up with zilch, zero, nada.  Not sure why. Thanks!
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 04:18:37 pm »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

AmBraCol

• Grease Monkey
  • Rebelling Against The Rebels
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 04:24:24 pm »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Enfield-500-535-USA-spec-CAMS-EFI-FIN-INTAKE/152978343187?hash=item239e384513:g:iOgAAOSwAQBayrQf

If you are outside of the US, I would email him concerning shipping...

Thank you, sir!  Shipping's got various options, including picking up next time I'm up north. We'll see what we shall see - but first to accumulate the cash necessary.  The link's greatly appreciated.
Paul

2015 Royal Enfield Rumbler 500

Timbob

• Neophyte
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 04:41:53 pm »
Has Peter got a power/torque. Curve off a dyno he can post so that we can all view his cams performance relative to standard?
2014 Classic C5
Mods
Heated grips
LED headlight
GPS Speedo
Carberry Anti Vibration Plate
19T gearbox sprocket
Screen
Half megaphone exhaust
EJK Fuel Controller
LED indicator on stalk above clock
Stainless steel braided front brake hose. ( What a difference!)
Footpegs mounted with rubber washers

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 05:11:34 pm »
     It's up about 6-7 HP and the roughly the same in torque, at the wheel, compared to a bone stock bike.   Kinda like adding another small engine to ones existing small engine I guess ?     BTW...  for a bit more of a boost I found,  his  intake cam can be advanced one tooth for an earlier opening .   That will give a bit better top end and mid-range, and perhaps 5 more mph at the top.   It will increase the cranking compression as well.  But that dyno sheet is with his cam's timed strait up on the marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sJejcw92Fs
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:28:23 pm by gashousegorilla »

Timbob

• Neophyte
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 07:00:10 am »
Any downsides?
To advancing intake by one tooth?
Low end torque affected?
2014 Classic C5
Mods
Heated grips
LED headlight
GPS Speedo
Carberry Anti Vibration Plate
19T gearbox sprocket
Screen
Half megaphone exhaust
EJK Fuel Controller
LED indicator on stalk above clock
Stainless steel braided front brake hose. ( What a difference!)
Footpegs mounted with rubber washers

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 04:50:45 pm »
Any downsides?
To advancing intake by one tooth?
Low end torque affected?

Maybe a little less on the bottom end, little more on the top end.  Mid range- better.   95 mph indicated, sitting straight up, with the throttle pegged, no fairing, regular old 87 pump piss .... not bad for an Enfield I think ?  I had a 5" Uni filter stuck on the end of the TB.... It flows no better then the stock air box , you get the same number on a Dyno with either one.   And a baffled Dunstall slip on..

Bert Remington

• Bulleteer
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 08:17:50 pm »
Peter has shipped the cams and fin intake, arriving Wednesday.

My plans are to have them installed by local Triumph/RE dealer as follows:

* 300 mile service including Motul 5100 15W-50 oil and RE/CMW filter kit
* install Peter's cams and fin intake
* change 18T primary sprocket to 19T
* change stock chain to RK GB530XSOZ1-102 with clip style link
* change Bosch spark plug to NGK NPR6ES

I want to have the motorcycle ready for the Barona Antique Drags.  Not to race (too new) but to show. As one owner said "It's the best 1955 motorcycle made today" and just like the previous owner said people stop and look even in traffic.  I'll be crewing for my friend and his Austin "pickup" (I bet you didn't know they made one -- comes with Chevy V8 and Ford 9").  An "English" motorcycle might help sell his "English" car. ;D
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version
2010 RE Classic 500 B5 badging
2000 BMW R1100RT

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 08:32:16 pm »
GHG, Are you suggesting that I give up my Mac and buy a PC to tune my still not installed PCV so that I can install Pete’s cams to tune up my outstanding GHG/SB high compression piston and the mirror finish SB porting/valve job/lightened rockers, install your in the mail Gen 2 adjustable pushrods, and advance the cam by one notch to gain another gazillion HP????  :o ;) :) :D
2014 GT - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 C5 - Teal
1942 WW2 Willys MB “slatgrill”
1945 WW2 Willys MB

Bert Remington

• Bulleteer
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 09:52:54 am »
GHG -- Peter recommended I defer installation of the cams and fin intake until the engine has more miles on it.  I will install them on the third oil change at 2,000 miles.

Peter was adamant that I "tune the fuel injection" for the cams and fin intake.  Would you explain further.  Peter and I concur on keeping the O2 sensor.  My plans are to use the AF-XIED to provide this "tuning" via it's real-time O2 signal adjustments.  What do you believe is needed?

Peter also asked that I advise everyone that while he can read this forum he hasn't quite mastered posting yet.  So "talk out loud" because he can hear you.

PS would you tell us more about his tappet covers.
2000 BMW R1100RT

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:42 am »
GHG, Are you suggesting that I give up my Mac and buy a PC to tune my still not installed PCV so that I can install Pete’s cams to tune up my outstanding GHG/SB high compression piston and the mirror finish SB porting/valve job/lightened rockers, install your in the mail Gen 2 adjustable pushrods, and advance the cam by one notch to gain another gazillion HP????  :o ;) :) :D

YES BROTHER !!!   You NEED Cams.. Pete Cams or ScooterBob cams.....  Ports too big , Cams too small and etc.    CAMS !  Cams for where you want your power, Cams for a an engine that has 500 cc's even !?!  Cams for US interstates if you happen to come accross one in this ribbon of highways !!  Put 'em in your Bullet AND put 'em in your GT  even  Hehehe !  ;)   We'll talk...

Don't give up the  Mac ?!  Borrow, buy or pick up a used cheapo laptop that runs windows , or one of then touchy tablet things even !?   Hahaha ! You can set your fueling where ever you want AT where ever you want with a few key stokes.  Jets ... Schmets !?  Or if you wanna get REAL Lazy ?  Stick an auto tuner on there and it will do it FOR YOU with a wide band O2 sensor..... my gawd, it's like cheating I tell ya ! ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 11:55:12 am »
GHG -- Peter recommended I defer installation of the cams and fin intake until the engine has more miles on it.  I will install them on the third oil change at 2,000 miles.

Peter was adamant that I "tune the fuel injection" for the cams and fin intake.  Would you explain further.  Peter and I concur on keeping the O2 sensor.  My plans are to use the AF-XIED to provide this "tuning" via it's real-time O2 signal adjustments.  What do you believe is needed?

Peter also asked that I advise everyone that while he can read this forum he hasn't quite mastered posting yet.  So "talk out loud" because he can hear you.

PS would you tell us more about his tappet covers.

YES... break the motor in first.  And break it in EASY like they tell you to do it in the book.  I KNOW it is annoying and one wants to get impatient and start riding like they stole it and such . But these are NOT Japanese motors, with their high degree of precision and metal conditioning .  You have to heat cycle these motors over time...  or you will warp something !    Does one think that the factory takes the extra step of heat normalizing their aluminum, before they slam in the steel races and valve seats an such..   I don't think so ?  The Factory does horrible valve job to start with.. then twist a valve seat a little bit and it's all over as far a compression at least.   The bikes that I have seen , and KNOW how they were broken in .. EASY... were the best performers.  Take it for what it's worth.      So yeah... I would put at least 1500 miles on that bike,  before you start messing with the fueling and want to get on the highway with your new found power.    You will be tempted to if you don't wait....

I am not familiar with that BMW AF-XIED system.   It looks like it only tunes with a narrow band sensor ?   If you can keep your fueling in that safe high 13's to mid 14' s area as far as AFR's go... across the rev range and not JUST when you are in closed loop ?   Then you will be OK.    Generally I have found with larger cams in these bike's and to a greater or lesser extent,and depending on profile, you will need to remove fuel  down low in the  RPM range and small throttle openings... sometimes even at idle.  Then as the rpm's and the throttle  position comes up.... fuel will need to be added.    You have a lower vacuum signal and less flow with longer then stock duration cams down low.   But as the RPM's come up... so will your flow.  And with all this , your fuel needs.  To what extend ?... depends on the profile.    I think as long as you KNOW where you are at AFR wise with your system  and KNOW where you want to take it, and have the ability to do so... you'll be alright.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:28:54 pm by gashousegorilla »

Bert Remington

• Bulleteer
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 02:51:18 pm »
GHG -- Peter said the valve inserts were your big concern.  That makes sense for this engine.  Sleeved aluminum cylinders and modern rings don't need much time; ditto for roller and ball bearings; plain bearings seem lightly loaded.  WRT valve inserts, I believe heat cycle count is more important than engine hours.  That is, six 10-minute trips, even with a 1-minute 50 mph burst, are better than one 60-minute trip with maximum 35 mph.

I'm going to carry forward your "I am not familiar..." paragraph to the AF-XIED experts and see what they will tell us about both the open- and closed-loop profiles.  As you know from the small amount of functional documentation provided, the device has a single input and a single output: raw Signal + from HEGO and adjusted Signal + to ECU.  I pointed them towards SteveThackery's and Markku's posts about the ECU's cold HEGO detection but this time will include the text itself.

Maybe they will give us a peek at the patented magic.  :)
2000 BMW R1100RT

Bert Remington

• Bulleteer
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 03:53:43 pm »
GHG -- I just discovered the Mjolnir project and apparently the MegaSquirt 1 is still available (https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-i-programmable-efi-system-pcb2-2-kit-w-black-case/).  Is this the O2 sensor-based fuel injection tuning path Peter and you wanted me to take?  Looks like fun.  I'm up for it if you say it will work for my 2016 C5 with Peter's cams and fin intake.
2000 BMW R1100RT

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 07:17:06 pm »
GHG -- Peter said the valve inserts were your big concern.  That makes sense for this engine.  Sleeved aluminum cylinders and modern rings don't need much time; ditto for roller and ball bearings; plain bearings seem lightly loaded.  WRT valve inserts, I believe heat cycle count is more important than engine hours.  That is, six 10-minute trips, even with a 1-minute 50 mph burst, are better than one 60-minute trip with maximum 35 mph.

I'm going to carry forward your "I am not familiar..." paragraph to the AF-XIED experts and see what they will tell us about both the open- and closed-loop profiles.  As you know from the small amount of functional documentation provided, the device has a single input and a single output: raw Signal + from HEGO and adjusted Signal + to ECU.  I pointed them towards SteveThackery's and Markku's posts about the ECU's cold HEGO detection but this time will include the text itself.

Maybe they will give us a peek at the patented magic.  :)

To be honest ?   I couldn't wait to get rid of that narrow band o2 sensor that got in the way of tuning... with it's closed loop areas getting in the way.  Also... the effects of that map sensor on the TB don't forget.

ScooterBob and I started  out about eight years ago trying to tune these bikes with out anything really available.  From  shunting the O2 plug adjusting TPS voltage... which will only leans or richens  ACROSS the range in a linear fashion.  This worked OK for basic stuff ? ... ingtake exhaust, compression increase.    But once you start getting into cams , you need more control of things.  How is that manifold pressure NOW effecting what that MAP sensor is seeing ?  Ummmmmm... and what it the stock ECU doing in response ?   Does it think that the throttle plate is open wider then it actually is with the drop in vacuum for example ?     If we could only crack our way inside that thing and see what the programmed into the look up tables ?  Anyways... to make a long story short,  I NEED FULL CONTROL OF THIS THING !   I was getting tired of dicking around with sensors and figuring out what they are doing in response to what we were throwing at it.  It just cames down to the basics.... you just need full control of the fueling and ignition to make corrections .  And a way to tune AROUND what the stock sensors and ECU are trying to do.   Air , fuel, and ignition timing... that's all.  Gimme a way to get around all this stock crap.

Then onto using a PC- V  from a Suzuki Quod ...   worked great !  Full control of fueling, where ever we wanted.  Down side... can't extend the rev limiter, nor adjust ignition timing.  Damn.... Oh well, it will have to do for now  ?  Looked into other devises at the time...  Miro squirt, that Eco trons kit.  Stand alone systems that you had to build, program and tune from SCRATCH.  There was an Indian company out there at the time that wanted you to grind a nodule off of the rotor or some such, then start programming.   For me ?  Screw that.... I wanna run this motor with the mods that we just did or want to do in the future, as quickly and accurately as we can.  With out spending a month just trying to get the bike to start.     

Then thank GAWD...shortly there after, Dynojet came out with the latest PC-V for the Enfield WITH  full ignition control and the ability to extend our rev's should we need to.   And I have never looked back.   It can do anything I want or need it to do with, and anything I throw at it.  And we have and will do so in the future.    I think I paid about 300 bucks for it at the time ?  Not bad considering it's capabilities.   

GHG -- I just discovered the Mjolnir project and apparently the MegaSquirt 1 is still available (https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-i-programmable-efi-system-pcb2-2-kit-w-black-case/).  Is this the O2 sensor-based fuel injection tuning path Peter and you wanted me to take?  Looks like fun.  I'm up for it if you say it will work for my 2016 C5 with Peter's cams and fin intake.

Me , personally ?   See above.  ;D      But I do think that mega-squirt would be a fun project, with the addition of a wide band o2 sensor and an AFR gauge.  The base price there is pretty good. But I would look into the cost of the needed accessories ...   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:28:09 pm by gashousegorilla »