Author Topic: TCI Wiring  (Read 7018 times)

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
on: June 26, 2019, 02:27:21 pm
  I'm doing some re-wiring to the TCI and need help with what wires goes where. I was previously running a "performance TCI" which was very short lived and since have been using a Suzuki replacement. The wiring to these units required modifying the TCI connectors.

Do to persistent poor running between 1/2 to 3/4 throttle I'd like to change back to a new "green" TCI to see if the problem clears up. I've thinking it's either carburetion or ignition causing the running issue. The problem feels like an incorrect fuel mixture or an ignition problem within a certain RPM range. When I get past the point poor running, higher or lower RPM, it runs well. First thought has been the mixture of the Mikuni carb wasn't right but after working through a series of needle jets and needle positions, no improvement. When first installed the carb did perform well (some time ago with performance TCI), but the bike hasn't run well after experiencing TCI problems and replacement with the Suzuki box.

So I have the "green" TCI unit but need to re-wire the connectors. I need to know the positions of the wires in the connectors. Specifically the 2X2.8 white connector containing the white and green wire and the 4X2.8 connector containing the brown, red/white and black wires. If someone could look at their TCI and tell me the positions of the wires within the connectors, orientating the TCI vertically with the plugins at the top I'd really appreciate it. I am also looking for a source for the small female connectors used in the connectors.

Problems are opportunities. I figure if this TCI doesn't solve my issue I'm back to swapping jets and adjusting needles....
Thanks for all the help,
Bill

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 04:07:22 pm
  I'm doing some re-wiring to the TCI and need help with what wires goes where. I was previously running a "performance TCI" which was very short lived and since have been using a Suzuki replacement. The wiring to these units required modifying the TCI connectors.

Do to persistent poor running between 1/2 to 3/4 throttle I'd like to change back to a new "green" TCI to see if the problem clears up. I've thinking it's either carburetion or ignition causing the running issue. The problem feels like an incorrect fuel mixture or an ignition problem within a certain RPM range. When I get past the point poor running, higher or lower RPM, it runs well. First thought has been the mixture of the Mikuni carb wasn't right but after working through a series of needle jets and needle positions, no improvement. When first installed the carb did perform well (some time ago with performance TCI), but the bike hasn't run well after experiencing TCI problems and replacement with the Suzuki box.

So I have the "green" TCI unit but need to re-wire the connectors. I need to know the positions of the wires in the connectors. Specifically the 2X2.8 white connector containing the white and green wire and the 4X2.8 connector containing the brown, red/white and black wires. If someone could look at their TCI and tell me the positions of the wires within the connectors, orientating the TCI vertically with the plugins at the top I'd really appreciate it. I am also looking for a source for the small female connectors used in the connectors.

Problems are opportunities. I figure if this TCI doesn't solve my issue I'm back to swapping jets and adjusting needles....
Thanks for all the help,
Bill

You may remember a few years back that I, too, experimented with the so-called Performance TCI which I believe is the same as the Suzuki TCI and that I, as you have, found the engine just would not run right at all and I went back to the Green TCI which has always worked perfectly.

I believe it was either Adrian or Arizoni who gave me wiring diagrams for the Performance TCI and a source for the connectors so hopefully they will chime in over the day.

I piggy-backed the connectors for the Performance TCI and left the Green TCI connectors in place so that I could instantly (sort of) switch back and forth.

If I can get my shit together (have an awful cold and sore throat that is kicking my butt) I'll make up a diagram.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:45:36 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 04:40:22 pm
            You may remember a few years back that I, too, experimented with the so-called Performance TCI which I believe is the same as the Suzuki TCI and that I, as you have, found the engine just would not run right at all and I went back to the Green TCI which has always worked perfectly.

If I can get my shit together (have an awful cold a sore throat that is kicking my butt) I'll make up a diagram.

OK. With the connectors at the top, 2-wire on the Left, 4-wire on the Right and pointing at you:

In the 2-wire, the White is in the Top, the Green/White is in the Bottom.

In the 4-Wire, the Black is Top Left, the Top Right is empty.
                                  the Brown is Bottom Left, the Red/White is Bottom Right.

Good luck  :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 04:57:04 pm
Thank you very much and hope you get feeling better! Any ideas where I might source those very narrow female wire connectors?
Bill

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 06:04:59 pm
Thank you very much and hope you get feeling better! Any ideas where I might source those very narrow female wire connectors?
Bill

Try here: https://cycleterminal.com/ maybe you find what you need.

Luckily I was smart enough to leave the OEM connectors and wires in place and tap into them using Posi-Taps to connect the Suzuki TCI. No way can I work with those tiny wires; they're like hair.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 01:13:08 am
I'm with tsv on this.
Cycleterminal.com is where I got all my connectors. Fast service, too!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 06:56:45 pm
Got the TCI wiring sorted and was able to reuse the female connectors with a bit of delicate soldering. Plugged the "green" TCI in and found my problems (Royal Enfield) to be gone! Funny how all that frustration seems to disappear when in the end things work out right. I don't recommend using the Suzuki TCI box!

So I'm in pretty good shape now. After sanding/leveling the head and cylinder barrel the head gasket leak has been cured. While working on those parts I found the rockers to be very stiff and appearing as if they had been carved with a dull chisel. I polished the shafts and machined the rocker ends to free them up a bit and turned down the centers to lighten them a bit. Mostly psychological benefit here, but they looked pretty dam good compared to stock.

Time to be happy for a while and leave well-enough alone. Life is good.
Bill

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 10:49:33 pm
Got the TCI wiring sorted and was able to reuse the female connectors with a bit of delicate soldering. Plugged the "green" TCI in and found my problems (Royal Enfield) to be gone! Funny how all that frustration seems to disappear when in the end things work out right. I don't recommend using the Suzuki TCI box!

Time to be happy for a while and leave well-enough alone. Life is good.
Bill

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 10:12:45 am
Here is one with the performance [Suzuki] CDI / TCI box after 10,000 miles of it and shortened barrel, modified piston crown 'S' cams [inlet retarded by 1 tooth], Amal carb, free flowing exhaust, etc. This was over a year ago and still no complaints.
B.W.

https://youtu.be/82otYKCD9YQ
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 10:14:46 am by Bullet Whisperer »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 12:36:22 pm
Here is one with the performance [Suzuki] CDI / TCI box after 10,000 miles of it and shortened barrel, modified piston crown 'S' cams [inlet retarded by 1 tooth], Amal carb, free flowing exhaust, etc. This was over a year ago and still no complaints.
B.W.

https://youtu.be/82otYKCD9YQ

Really well set up and sounding bike and a really great ride. I watched the whole thing. I watch more and more riding videos and pretend I'm there as I become more and more incapable of riding myself.

But all it proves is that the TCI you got worked correctly for the AVL and the one I got did NOT. My '08, which was running perfectly on the Green, would not run for shit with the Suzuki TCI (the so-called Performance TCI) and, yes, I was meticulous in wiring it up. It would start right up, kick or electric, but went to shit between 1500 and 2500 RPM and would not take a load at all. I went right back to the Green and it again ran fine.

Who knows? ??? ???

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 03:27:46 pm
Thinking about it our TCI was most likely a pattern replacement item, not OEM sadly, I don't think the GS125 has been in production for some years now. I do keep an occasional look out on ebay for real ones.

The genuine article works fine, but I have had that since 2006. My old Electra-X is long one, but I've kept the TCI box in case ASBO12's BT-H magneto ever goes belly-up.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

motoguzzibill

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 03:33:35 pm
My experience with the "Suzuki" TCI box is very similar to Toseevee's. Bike would run fine at certain rpms but hit a spot where it seemed the ignition was breaking down and/or miss-firing. Not sure at what rpm but it felt like it was about 1/2 throttle. With effort I could get the rpms beyond this point and then it ran cleanly. My "Suzuki" TCI was an ebay buy and I don't have the packaging anymore. The unit has a Suzuki-Nippondenso sticker with made in China on it. ??? Thought Nippondenso was strictly Japan? Maybe Japan and China are now friends.
Bill

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 04:35:18 pm
Yeah, a pattern item, not am OEM.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...