Author Topic: A couple of interesting blogs about the twin and ABS for all of the bikes  (Read 5735 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
  I used to live on a point, overlooking LA harbor, ocean palisades, big park, too. HDs used to come down from the rest of LA and wherever, all weekend long. By Sunday afternoon I was ready to start shooting primary cases going by my second story balcony.
  Eventually, LAPD set up shop at the point. Every loud Harley got a ticket to repair or stay off the road. The next week I was hanging out at Century MC. One of the ‘victims’ was handing out flyers to have the PD not enforce the law. Owner, Cindy, was glad to take them and off he went. We looked at each other and said, “Sure!”  Cindy had heard more motorcycles of all kinds than anyone I have ever known. There were no excuses for a street motorcycle to make that much noise. Respecting people trumps childish behavior. Of course, childish people don’t get it.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
So glad to hear kind words about Century Motors.  One of the greatest motorcycle shops of all time.  Fond memories of Wild Bill and Cindy -- Both class acts, as well as what Tim has become.  If one has never visited Century they should.  It is still what motorcycling used to be and the experience is wonderful.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
If I have to put up with looking at those huge ugly 24" GHETTO REEHUUMS, then they can put up with my loud pipes.

Just north of Phoenix is a suburb called Fountain Hills. It's a neighborhood for wealthy people. They have a homeowners association. A couple of years ago, they passed a rule against "excessive" vehicle noise. Unfortunately about half the people who live there ride Harleys. They mainly ride them on weekends. There is a huge shopping center a couple miles away. These people now load their Harleys on trailers, go down to the shopping center parking lot, and unload them, where they can actually start them up and go riding They are mostly older people, and follow traffic laws. The ones they need to be concerned about are the crotch rocket riders, who ride recklessly, and intentionally break every rule in the book.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
How the f... can a homeowners association ban loud vehicles? are streets and neighbourhoods privately owned or something? And how to stop a non resident on their loud motorbike riding through the area? Got a private police force or something? That's just weird. You said "suburb" but I'm thinking "gated community" is that right?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
How the f... can a homeowners association ban loud vehicles? are streets and neighbourhoods privately owned or something? And how to stop a non resident on their loud motorbike riding through the area? Got a private police force or something? That's just weird. You said "suburb" but I'm thinking "gated community" is that right?

Gizzo - That’s more like it. I don’t know about this one in AZ. For example, there are real estate developments where people own their homes, but the ‘association’ maintains the grounds all around the houses. They will also have authority over other minor and major concerns. Good news the people there can lock their doors and travel without having to hire someone to maintain the yard and other things.
  Usually their are agreements, and easements built into the deeds. There are plenty of examples where home owner associations have earned the ire of residences for over stepping their bounds. HoAssoc have told a veteran to not display the American flag, at times like our Memorial Day and Fourh of July. Then the HoAssoc gets to be the center of attention of a ticked off nation.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
To answer the question, yes. HOA's are almost always in gated communities in Arizona.

I could find no Homeowners Association (HOA) in Fountain Hills that had a noise requirement for anything except barking dogs.
Beyond this, the HOA's in Fountain Hills noise limits refers to the town's noise laws.

I think the town laws are what suitcase was talking about.

Presently the Fountain Hills noise law limits daytime noise to 70db (which is quieter than a running vacuum cleaner) during the day and 50db at night.  A person talking normally is about 50 db.
Needless to say, a loud motorcycle of any kind will violate the law here.
There have been several attempts to raise the noise limit but so far they haven't gone anywhere.

A bit further out, the town of Cave Creek has similar laws and the local law does enforce them much to the annoyance of several bars and restaurants there.
Cave Creek is a nice 40 or so mile round trip ride from Phoenix and a lot of bikers like to ride up there for a tall cool one or just to shoot the breeze with other bikers and the local noise laws keep a lot of them away.

My RE can be pretty loud if I use a WOT so when I ride there I just cruise real easy and accelerate very slowly to keep the law and their sound meters away.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:15:38 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams

It's perfectly normal here and most of the people who live in these "upscale ghettos" WANT to be there. They want to be surrounded by people who think exactly as they do and they want their environment to be controlled and politically correct. I have ridden through huge complexes of these horrible places where there is not a vehicle in sight and no one on the streets. If your vehicle is there, and not at work or shopping, it is in the garage. With the door shut. Some prohibit any work being done in the driveway on ANY vehicle. The houses are basically carbon copies of the others with every other house's blueprints just the reverse of the one it's in between.

Most control what dogs you can own. Most do not allow pickup trucks or motorcycles. Also in many I have driven through the mailboxes are all the same and all on the same corner of its driveway.

There are also some that are all duplexes that all look the same. Essentially they are huge apartment buildings where the "apartments" are just spread out on the ground with maybe a different colored door here and there.

The HOA controls EVerything because the most officious and controlling of the people who live in these places are the ones who tend to gravitate toward BEING the HOA.

Cul de sacs serve the same purpose as these larger dead zones. It's social funneling, sorting and engineering. Riding through one of these large "dead zones" you can get the feeling that curtains are being parted and people are reaching for their cellphones with your plate numbers. 

Remember Malvina Reynolds' little song  ??? ???   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:04:59 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
All true 2CV.

The HOA must approve what color your house is painted. What color your house trim is painted.  What you can plant.  What you cannot plant. If you can have a flag pole and if they approve it, the size of it and the flag you fly.

Not only can't you park a vehicle in the driveway but the garage door is only allowed to be open if you are driving into or out of your garage.

You are required to sign up for the HOA rules in order to buy a house and woe to the person who doesn't pay their monthly HOA fees.

If someone doesn't pay their fees or if they don't pay any fines the HOA demand, the HOA can confiscate your house and boot you out.
They will then turn around and hire one of their buddy's who just happens to sell real estate and the HOA will pocket whatever money they make without paying the owner a dime for the equity he has in the home.

The people on the HOA boards are megalomaniac's who thrive on dictating to others.
They love the power they have and won't hesitate for a minute to use it for any infraction of the rules they create.

Some people don't mind this crap.  My sister is one of them and every time I go to visit her I feel like I'm entering into a prison from the time I start answering the guard at the entrance's questions to the time I park at her house to the time I drive back out of the place.

It's my idea of what Hell would look like.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Wow, it sounds hellish. I was thinking it sounds like a prison that people choose to live in and pay for the privilege. But do you know what it really makes me think of? Those trashy "reality" shows on commercial tv where they play at social engineering for entertainment. Like Big Brother and Survivor.
Imagine choosing to and paying for living like that. I suppose that's a price they pay to be insulated and protected from the scary outside world and all the dreadful people out there.
Good luck to them. Thanks for the explanations, gentlemen.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams

Imagine choosing to and paying for living like that. I suppose that's a price they pay to be insulated and protected from the scary outside world and all the dreadful people out there.

Yes. All those "dreadful people out there" who disagree with "us" (about ANYthing) and refuse to conform to "our" worldview (of EVERYthing) and refuse to mind "us" (about ALL things) when we tell them (in our INfinite wisdom) how they should be conducting their lives (in EVery aspect).

I know them well.

Perfect Progressives.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:56:40 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
   I have to wonder just how many home buyers who bought into signing up for the "privilege" of cowing to an HOA actually took the time to READ the HOA rules before signing on the dotted line.  ::)
   I have no sympathy for those who later regret not reading before signing.
   When I was a prospective buyer I did read EVERYTHING (to the annoyance of the Real Estate Agents, HOAs, and Title Companies, and EVERY SINGLE ONE of the HOAs included a provision in its "Bylaws" that at ITS discretion, could amend the rules whenever they felt like it, some without any notification to the very owners/members paying the fees.  >:( A miniature shadow government. >:(    It's come to the point where instant gratification (a shiny new home in a "protected" community) is more important than long-term consequences.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
It fits those whose lives are straight down the middle of average, and have no interests that involve having any items outside the house, or hobbies involving the driveway. There are plenty of people who are like that, and actually like the whole idea of it. Very often older retired couples fit into that kind of thing. They have money to pay the monthly maintenance fees, and don't have to bother with upkeep of the grounds themselves. They feel, probably accurately,  that their property values stay up, and their investment is relatively secure.

But if interests change, into something like ham radio, and you want an outside antenna put up, then the restrictions pop up real quick.

There are people who are perfect for these HOA, and people who couldn't stand them. I think they/we know who we are.
 ;)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Suitcasejefferson, That sounds crazy. Harley's, newer Evo models in particular are quite quiet in stock form. It's like the "Gun" adage..-"Harley's don't make noise, Harley owners do".. They made a choice when they changed the exhaust system, so now they need a trailer.  I hear it all the time, " I'll get killed if THEY can't hear me". It's all about choices.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Yup........
Choices , the ebb and flow of choices....
In 1995 I put scream’in eagle exhaust on our new softail.  I loved the sound and those staggered duals looked so cool ,............
.....In 2005 I removed them and never bothered to pick up my “do rag” from the cleaners......