Author Topic: Mistake?  (Read 24207 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 12:39:28 pm
I can't find any place in AZ that sells ethanol free gas. I have 4 bikes stored in what used to be my living room, and I put a gallon of SEF in each one. I got it at Walmart. It is $20 a gallon and claims to have a 2 year life. That way I can start and warm up the engines once in a while to prevent deterioration. And not have to worry about messing up the carburetors.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 02:00:23 pm
You can write your Congressperson all you want complaining about your fuel containing mashed corn drippings, but unless you send along a few million dollars in your letter, all you will be receiving in more corn squeezings. (Now the big dash is to increase the percentage of included ethanol in your fuel to 15%, that no motorcycles or off-road vehicles can stomach.) Meanwhile, the price of corn and corn tortillas goes up in Mexico.  >:(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 12:14:19 am
The times I checked out the stations listed on some of the web sites that show filling stations that sell alcohol free gasoline in Arizona I found that they didn't have any.

I have found several places that do sell alcohol free gasoline but they all are in the business of selling racing fuel and they want an arm, a leg and part of your rectum as payment for it.
They also want you to sign a form that swears you will only use the fuel off road in a racing environment and lying about it is punishable by the law.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 01:15:31 am
The times I checked out the stations listed on some of the web sites that show filling stations that sell alcohol free gasoline in Arizona I found that they didn't have any.

I have found several places that do sell alcohol free gasoline but they all are in the business of selling racing fuel and they want an arm, a leg and part of your rectum as payment for it.
They also want you to sign a form that swears you will only use the fuel off road in a racing environment and lying about it is punishable by the law.

Sounds like California is moving east.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: October 30, 2018, 04:25:27 am
I am taking a trip up to Portland OR next week to visit relatives (in a car) I found a dealer called Triumph of Seattle that sells RE. They have Himalayans in stock, and allow test rides. I'm going to take a run up there and check one out again. My only issue has been getting on it. The riders seat is fine, but I found it difficult to swing my leg over the passenger seat getting on. But I really like this bike, and have a couple of other bikes I don't really want anymore that I can sell to pay for most of it, and make room for it.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 10:37:31 pm
Sounds like a plan. I hear and see only good things about the Himis. Affordable off-road competence. As for me,  I spent the afternoon looking over a forlorn '95 1200 Sportster in blue. Pictures and commentary to follow as a separate topic soon if I wind up adopting this rescue scoot...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 11:35:19 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:22 pm
Suitcasejefferson, I am a little late to this thread but wanted to comment. I went to the NYC bike show Saturday to check out the new 650s and  I have to say, while I was there, I checked out the Himalayan and was very impressed. It looks and feels right and was just super comfortable. I watched all the YouTube videos I could find and this thing is pretty cool! I could see myself getting one. After riding bikes between 154lbs and 204lbs most of my life....see list below......I can't quite get my head around riding a 400lb bike off road, but I watched people do it successfully on the videos and it was clear the bike was pretty good even if some of the riders were not that good. As for getting a leg up over the back? Yes, it is a bit of a stretch. Maybe try the method used by hotshot cowboys in the old westerns and jump off something high and land in the saddle..........then again, maybe not. Please let us know after your test ride.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #37 on: February 08, 2019, 01:00:37 am
I'm 5'9. Short of leg and too many injuries.

How I get on the Himalayan?

Bike on side stand. Left boot on the peg. Lift myself up. And over goes my right leg, with much less lifting height involved.

As for this 421 pound dual sport motorcycle offroad?

Way better than it ever has a right to be, according to paper specs. The center of gravity, and suspension that is over achieving, it is one set of narley 10/90 tires to allow it to climb the side of a mountain.

You won't be going fast. You'll just be going...

2000 Bullet 500

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 04:50:39 pm
And supposedly adding an EJK or maybe a Powertronic, does wonders for the power and responsiveness.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Beardo

• Bulleteer
Reply #39 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:32 pm
Of those two systems, from what information there is by actual users of the products, seems the PowerTronic is heads and shoulders above the EJK. And for good reason, it covers tha gamut, whereas the EJK, is simply as the name implies, Electronic Jet Kit.

Nothing 'wrong' with the EJK, mind you. I've used them on other motorcycles. I had never heard of PowerTronic until I got the 2013 Bullet, a month ago.
2000 Bullet 500

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 12, 2019, 07:19:01 pm
Well, I have sold two of my 6 bikes, the 2016 Rebel, and my 2001 Yamaha XT225 (which is harder to get on and off of than the Himalayan) I have been to the local dealer and sat on the Himalayan 3 times. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos about it. I was able to get on the seat ok with nothing on the rear portion. However, I would likely have an issue getting on it with something strapped to the rear part of the seat. I am waiting on my tax refund. Right now I'm planning to spend it on a new Himalayan.

Despite the fact that I love the looks of the Interceptor twin, I'll pass on that. From all the videos I've seen on it it just seems too smooth and quiet. I love the sound and feel of my 2013 Bullet, but not the reliability. I've had to have it hauled home 3 times since buying it new. But I have a 2006 H-D Sportster 1200 which satisfies my desire for a bike with character. And it has yet to break down. I will still keep the Bullet and ride it once in a while. It is not worth trying to sell. A 6 year old RE converted to an Amal carb has almost no resale value.

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 05, 2019, 01:38:41 pm
SuitcaseJefferson, what were the issues that led to your breakdowns on the C5? I am guessing at least one of them was the small negative lead at the battery? Mine broke at around 1,000 miles, if I recall correctly. But no issues in the next 1200 miles.......well the sidestand did cut out once on me, but I figured that out quickly. I am riding the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway, both directions thru Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, in August, and I will have my fingers crossed......all 9 of them.
9fingers
Currently own:

Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: May 25, 2019, 07:45:43 pm
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcd/d/peoria-2018-royal-enfield-himalayan/6886414333.html

This bike is sitting at my local dealer only a few miles away. I have looked at it and sat on it twice. I am literally bouncing off the walls trying to decide whether to buy it or not.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: May 25, 2019, 08:23:44 pm
SuitcaseJefferson, what were the issues that led to your breakdowns on the C5? I am guessing at least one of them was the small negative lead at the battery? Mine broke at around 1,000 miles, if I recall correctly. But no issues in the next 1200 miles.......well the sidestand did cut out once on me, but I figured that out quickly. I am riding the full length of the Blue Ridge Parkway, both directions thru Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, in August, and I will have my fingers crossed......all 9 of them.
9fingers

Actually it is a B5. Only one problem was serious, the rest were just aggravating. It started with less than 10 miles on the bike. I noticed the turn signals were not working. I also discovered the tail light. license plate light, and brake light were not working either. The rear tire had cut through the harness to the rear lights. I repaired the harness and rerouted it above the fender under the seat. Then the exhaust header studs and nuts kept coming loose. I started carrying extra studs and nuts with me. I finally replaced the studs and nuts with bolts, had the heads drilled, and safety wire them. Been good since. Then the battery failed, and while installing a new one, the battery cable broke. I fabricated some better cables and made them long enough that the battery could be turned around with the terminals facing outward. 5 years later that battery is still working, and the cables are still holding up fine. Then the fuel gauge quit working. I found the same thing many others have found. The float melted. The head stay broke. I fabricated a new one that should be about 10 times stronger. Then I decided to replace the EFI with a carb. I got a kit from Hitchcock's and installed an Amal carb. I also installed the premium EFI exhaust from CMW, with the baffle removed. Now it ran MUCH better, and sounded the way a RE should. My guess is that while I did not rejet the carb, it is a lot richer overall than it was with the EFI. It sounded very 'wheezy" with the EFI, now it has excellent throttle response and doesn't hesitate on full throttle like it did. While working on it, I had the tank off, and discovered the rear mounting was not designed right, or something was missing. The mounting tab that the rear mounting bolt goes through were bent inward, and still not touching the frame tube that the bolt goes through. I gently bent the mounting tabs out straight, got a longer bolt, and used washers as spacers between the frame tube and mounting tabs. I also put washers on the outside of the tabs. The holes in the tab are much larger than they needed to be for the bolt, and the bolt head almost pulled right through them. I'm assuming that since pretty much nothing lines up properly on the Bullet, they used oversized holes so the parts could be moved around a bit to make them fit.

The last failure was more serious. The rear wheel locked up just as I was pulling into a parking lot. Fortunately I didn't crash. I loosened the adjustment up all the way, and the wheel would turn again. When I took it apart, I found that the radius of the brake shoes was not the same as the drum by quite a bit. The shoes had a much larger radius, and only the ends of the shoes were touching the drum, and eventually the lining material broke off, and allowed metal to metal contact between the shoes and drum. I rode it for some time with no rear brake (the rear brake never did work right anyway) and finally got some new shoes from Hitchcock's that fit much better. When the wheel locked up, it also stretched the chain, which was already worn, so I also had to replace that. Shipping from the UK to the U.S. is crazy expensive. I have made 3 orders from the UK. Anyway, the bike is running ok now, and has just over 11,000 miles on it. Riding season is about over in the Phoenix, AZ area due to extreme heat. This summer I will put new tires on it and do all the recommended maintenance.

I am hoping the Himalayan is built better than the 2013 Bullet. I plan to buy one. I have been to the dealer twice to look at them. I'm the impulsive type. I'm likely to wake up some morning, and decide to just go get it.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #44 on: May 25, 2019, 11:05:01 pm
I am hoping the Himalayan is built better than the 2013 Bullet. I plan to buy one. I have been to the dealer twice to look at them. I'm the impulsive type. I'm likely to wake up some morning, and decide to just go get it.

That Himalayan is fair game, so don't wait too long...  ;)