Author Topic: Mistake?  (Read 24210 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 04:02:58 pm
I for one, do plan on getting into the mountains and forest as much as I can this summer, as well as enjoying paved roads.

Being still fairly new with motorcycles, there are yet a few mysteries for me to resolve and one of those is if you really need a "dirt bike" at all. 

I lost track long ago of how many you tube videos I've watched depicting Royal Enfields, generally in India, and usually riding through the Himalayas.

I'm sure a good dirt bike would be easier, apparently due to better shocks and more ground clearance, but the Indian Bullets of all descriptions have been one of the predominant himalaya vehicles of choice for around 60 years now.

If I ever make it there, I plan on riding a C5 just like my own at home.  In the mean time I will continue my Himalaya training this summer in the Cascades, on my C5 and see how that works for me.

I got K-70's, a skid plate, and am presently building a small adventure rack for hauling my gear. On my last forest service road excursion, I noticed my natural pace was from 5 - 20 mph. That will be fine for me.

I've noticed recently while watching non-RE off-road adventure videos that most of the guys you see are moving pretty fast like it's a race through the forest. Sometimes you can see their speedometers surging frantically from 0 - 50 mph. This often seems to be the reason for their crashes as well...

So, I'm taking it slow, and intend to see how much exploring can be done with my humble little Bullet. Soon enough I should know.

I never was one to prefer "the easy way", or to do what everyone else is doing, at least not until I do things the hard way first.

If and when I do decide that I need an adventure bike it will be the Himalayan. But first things first, one step at a time.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

devon john

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 09:56:20 am
sat on a himalaya last week ,,, me being 6'4" found it much more suited to me than my bullet ,,,

i liked the bike  it was better than i thought it might be ,

i will be watching with interest   to see what problems and mods  will happen in the next couple of years

john
harley hydra glide FL (1950)
harley FLH 80
535 Royal Enfield bullet

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 08:31:55 pm
My feelings are that "adventure " bikes end up being road bikes for 99.999% of the time. If I had some notions of an occasional off-road excursion,  I would get a used cheap enduro bike and trailer it to the trails, and have a real road bike for the road.

Just my opinion.

I already mentioned them in another Himalayan thread, but for those who might actually plan on taking their Himalayans a little off the beaten, or at least paved path, they might do well to check out that line of Butler Motorcycle Maps.

I thought I'd try out their Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route Map. At $15 it seemed a tad pricey just to sate my mild curiosity, but it is indeed well made, tough and waterproof, and looks like it offers all the makings for a fine adventurey vacation. It's also directly associated with the BDR (Backcountry Discovery Routes) organization, which is a non-profit. So I guess you're getting your money's worth and supporting a good cause while your at it.  For the youngsters, for whom printed maps generally seem as timely and useful as buggy whip oil, or even spoiled eldsters like me, whose main "discovery riding" nowadays often consists of discovering they now require their GPS to make it to the damned supermarket on the first try, the printed maps feature GPS waypoints tied in with BDR's online offerings and even films. In the case of my specific Mid-Atlantic map, these digital augments and other tie-ins are described here.

Since my fat ass is being hauled around by a humble old Bullet 500 "Iron Belly," I'm not likely to be soon taking on some of those more "challenging" optional mapped routes, where you're plodding along some muddy creek bed waving a machete or hoisting your ride from some scum pit with a block and tackle. That said, you might find me soon on some of those remote paved route options out there in Western Virginia or West Virginia.

As for "adventure bikes" mostly never seeing any more challenging rides than down to the corner shop for a pack of Marlboros, the weirdest place I ever saw for this sort of thing was Paris. Maybe it's different now, but I recall being struck by the fact that it seemed like every other two-wheeler that wasn't some Mobylette-style moped looked like it was ready to set off on the Paris-Dakar rally. I remember thinking, "What the hell?," 'cause there were just so many too-tall scramblers teetering about. But I guess it was just like Hummers in the CostCo parking lot. I'm pretty sure that housewife didn't just swing by and take up four parking spots to grab some supplies before the big assault on Kandahar.

Lastly, as an old Bullet owner too set in my ways to probably ever buy a new vehicle of any kind, Himalayan or otherwise, I feel obliged to point out that a well-found Bullet can get up to and through all sorts of adventuresome hijinx.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:38:29 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:31:57 am
True. Even the "Fat Little Pig" KLR-650 was really too heavy off road other than maybe a double track or very easy single track. It got to the point I was having a hard time handling it and then I got to the point I couldn't pick it up without help. My doctors have help me out a lot BUT no way I'd try a 1200GSA offroad. I'm hoping the Himalayan will be both light enough and have a low enough center of gravity to be usable on some of the easier trail to drag my sorry hide up to fly-fish. All I want is a humble little bike that can get the job done without having to pay big buck only to find I have a coffee shop ride.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 05:45:11 am
Me dealer mentioned to me yesterday, that some new Himalayans are on the way so I'll be a testing one out in the near future. The only real piss-off fer me is that the Himalayan is over 400cc, which puts it in the 400-750cc insurance bracket here in BC. I wish the Himalayan was 399cc to reduce the gouge forced on us by the insurance monopoly creeps.  >:(

I'd have to like the Himi a bunch to consider changing from me C5. ::)
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Z1300

• Neophyte
Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 09:30:55 am
We have had these in Australia for a while. I ride one regularly Buy one. Biasd RE Dealer 

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 03:35:55 am
sat on a himalaya last week ,,, me being 6'4" found it much more suited to me than my bullet ,,,

i liked the bike  it was better than i thought it might be ,

i will be watching with interest   to see what problems and mods  will happen in the next couple of years

john

I used to ride scramblers in my youth (Suzuki TS185 for instance), not because I did much off-roading, but because with my lanky legs I couldn't get comfy on available road bikes.  Fast forward 40 years and perhaps one reason for the growth in popularity in 'adventure' bikes is just this - they are a more comfy ride for taller folk (men & women).  Yes people will buy them for pose value, and a few will even ride them as they were intended (all terrain adventures), but I reckon some Himalyan sales will be down to inside leg measurement.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 11:22:07 am
anyone know the tank range on these? i got a klr to ride while doing the top end the second time on the frankenbullet, and i can get damn near 275 miles on a tank when riding fire trails in northern kalifornia.

My very first tank of fuel I got 74.24 mpg. At a four gal tank that’s 296 miles. That’s brake in miles doing under 40 mph.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 04:13:50 pm
Morgan60,, do they recommend premium fuel,  or can a fellow get by with regular. ?  Great mileage by the way.  The more I hear about this bike the better I like it !

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 02:42:38 am
I as a rule have always used premium and alcohol free when available in all my bikes.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 03:21:56 pm
They STILL don't have one at my local dealer,  Double-D's Performance. They do have a beautiful red C-GT for $5K. I sure wish I could handle that riding position.

I put premium fuel in both the RE and my Sportster 1200, but there is no such thing as ethanol free in AZ. I have 4 bikes stored in my living room, I removed the tanks, poured out all the gas, made real sure they were empty, then got some ethanol free small engine fuel at Walmart. It's called SEF, and it costs $20 a gallon. I put a gallon in each bike. It is supposed to last 2 years. Now I can start the bikes up once in a while so they don't deteriorate. $20 a gallon is peanuts compared to what ethanol gas can do to your bike, but way to expensive to use for riding.

Of the 2 bikes I have regular ethanol gas in, if I haven't used it up in 6 weeks, I drain it out and pour it into a car, and refill with fresh gas. I won't leave ethanol in a bike for more than 6 weeks.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

khoihoangminh92

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 08:10:57 am
For me personally, I do love the Himalayan riding style and the possibilities when it come to the dirt track. Really fun to ride, you should buy one :)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 07:46:41 pm
Having been thoroughly burned on the new 2010 RE C5, and more than happy to have anyone buy it, I'd say wait and learn more about how the company is addressing QC issues on the Himi. 

A 2016 Rebel is bullet-proof, so to speak, and is likely more potent than the new RE. 

My mind still romances having a old-style thumper, but my experiences over the years have killed the dream.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 08:32:06 pm
I finally got to sit on the new Himalayan, and was seriously disappointed. Not with the bike. It actually looks good, better than in pictures, and I would be willing to take a chance considering the price. But sadly, I was barely able to get on and off it. Once on it, the seat felt fine, and I could easily flat foot it. But I have severe arthritis, bad hip joints and bad knee joints. I don't think it will be long until I would not be able to get on and off it at all. The same thing may eventually be true of my 2013 Bullet. At least I can still ride my Rebel and my Sportster 1200 LOW, as in low seat height. Eventually I will be stuck with scooters, like my 2006 Vespa GT200.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 04:00:38 am
[...snip!]
I put premium fuel in both the RE and my Sportster 1200, but there is no such thing as ethanol free in AZ.
[snip!...]

Actually, unlike your neighboring state of California, where untainted ethanol-free fuel is REAL hard to come by, and the available state-mandated spew is its own specially-blended ultra-oxygenated brew that'll cause your whole fuel system to reenact that scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark  where they open the thing, according to the Pure-gas.org state-by-state directory of Ethanol-free gas sources, there seem to plenty of places to get the good stuff in The Grand Canyon State.

Like the other engines I most care about, my old "iron belly" Bullet is generally on a steady diet of ethanol-free 89 octane available about 20 miles from home, with a dash of Marvel Mystery Oil. In colder months, when I ride less, I'll also use some StaBil 360 Marine. Pretty much the only time I'll use whatever local ethanol spew's on tap is when I'm touring far from home and have no choice. Ethanol is Evil. Write your Congressman and tell them so.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:33:05 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.