Author Topic: Mistake?  (Read 24206 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 28, 2018, 10:16:43 pm
I may be about to make an expensive mistake. I am seriously considering selling my new 2016 Honda Rebel and buying a Himalayan. And this is after having owned a 2013 B5 since new. I hear both good and bad things about the Himalayan. I have been a long distance rider all my life, racking up more than 800,000 miles. Due to medical issues and age, that has slowed down considerably. I have never had an adventure bike, and nothing out there pushes the right buttons for me, especially BMWs and KTMs. I love the old fashioned look of the Himalayan, and think it would look great with some panniers and a taller windshield. I probably would never leave the state with it, but it looks like a super fun bike, and it's definitely different from all those other "adventure" bikes out there.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 11:19:10 pm
You've got my permission. ;)
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:09 am
I have ridden the Hymilayan 2.0 ( the version we will get that is the vastly improved model over the first ones introduced in India). As someone that has been with RE since before the turn of the century I was really surprised. It looked good, quality was excellent, you could ride on the freeway and it was great in the dirt. The track was really muddy and some of us put the bikes down without a lick of damage.

My advice is to buy one. It is really a homerun by RE
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 12:51:29 am
Rebel's a pretty good street bike, but if I were still out there in Arizona, New Mexico or West Texas, that new "sorted" Himalayan would be what I'd want too. Hell, they're such a bargain it might even be a wash for you financially speaking. Anyhow, why not give a holler to Double-D's Performance in Scottsdale, and see about a little test ride and take it from there?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:32:12 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:44:59 am
Mistake? No Mistake. I signed up for The Western States 1000 just for a shakedown cruise in June. No worries! I just got a email from a friend he to put a deposit on a Himalayan and he also is going to join me on the run.  What a site it’ll be with two RE Himalayas putting along with all the beg touring bikes. :-)
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 01:02:32 pm
    I like that damn Himalayan more and more the more I see and read about it. I think they somehow hit the nail on the head - wonder of wonders  :o :) :)

It's got a hint of of Mad Max, dirt bike, scrambler, "Long Way Home", street fighter, urban assault vehicle, survival tool, fun runs to the hardware store. It pushes a lot of buttons.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:15:47 pm
One ride on the Himalayan will convince you that it is a great bike and a "must have" motorcycle. I don't have a dog in this fight anymore and it is immaterial to me how sales go. Given that I stand by my assessment.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

voodoochild

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 06:46:30 pm
At the beginning of last year, I planned to test ride the KTM Duke390, the BMW 310GS, The Honda Rebel and the Himalayan. More than a year and test rides on the BMW 310R and the Himalayan BS4 (in India last month) later, I put my deposit down on the Himalayan last month.
Plus it will match the 2007 iron barrel Bullet in the garage so nicely!   8)
2007 500 Military 5spd

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 10:27:02 pm
Sounds like the Himi is made for you SCJ, oh wait, it is fuel injected! ;D ;D ;D
 Roverman.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 12:10:34 pm
Isn’t the Rebel? It would be here in the U.K. The elephant in the room isn’t how nice the Himalayan feels to ride, its how reliable it turns out to be. The pioneers haven’t returned yet....
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 10:43:38 pm
Just read a road test of the Himalayan in Old Bike Mart, a monthly sold in the UK that covers old bikes, oddly enough. Seems pretty positive. One thing it did mention was the delay of a year in bringing it to the UK. Apparently there were 36 modifications made between the initial ones and the final Euro IV ones that reached here in January. Why anyone would buy a first edition of anything beats me. The C5 is now what it should have been in 2009, well nearly. At least RE seems to have speeded up the development process with the Himalayan, which is likely to be a really good bike if that’s what you want.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 09:04:59 pm
Wasn't too sure where to post this so I think this one might help you SCJ.

today I was ambling around 60mph down the motorway (freeway) on my way to the airport. Before I know it, I get overtaken by a Himalayan and it wasn't struggling at all as I reckon it was doing 70-75 and seemed to hold it well. I sped up to 70 to try and follow it before it turned off but due to traffic etc I'd have to had put a good spurt on to catch it up. It might have been going quicker than that. 80 perhaps.

So who ever in the UK that was on the M40 this afternoon on a white one and turned off at Banbury, I did toot as I went by if you heard it :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:09:49 pm by Carlsberg Wordsworth »

gavinfdavies

• Bulleteer
  • Noli Timere Messorem
Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 11:55:30 pm
I'm friendly with an independent RE dealer in the UK. Unlike most, he isn't owned by the imported. I'll ask if he's had any issues with them. He was the first in the UK to get them, and keeps selling out. GV Bikes in Taunton.

no bs

• Grand Gearhead
  • if it's got two wheels i'm on it
Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 01:54:48 am
anyone know the tank range on these? i got a klr to ride while doing the top end the second time on the frankenbullet, and i can get damn near 275 miles on a tank when riding fire trails in northern kalifornia.
killing bugs since 1972 2011 g5 deluxe frankenbullet

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 01:38:54 pm
My feelings are that "adventure " bikes end up being road bikes for 99.999% of the time. If I  had some notions of an occasional off-road excursion,  I would get a used cheap enduro bike and trailer it to the trails, and have a real road bike for the road.

Just my opinion.
Home of the Fireball 535 !