aboard

Author Topic: Mistake?  (Read 3982 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 06:39:28 am
I can't find any place in AZ that sells ethanol free gas. I have 4 bikes stored in what used to be my living room, and I put a gallon of SEF in each one. I got it at Walmart. It is $20 a gallon and claims to have a 2 year life. That way I can start and warm up the engines once in a while to prevent deterioration. And not have to worry about messing up the carburetors.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 08:00:23 am
You can write your Congressperson all you want complaining about your fuel containing mashed corn drippings, but unless you send along a few million dollars in your letter, all you will be receiving in more corn squeezings. (Now the big dash is to increase the percentage of included ethanol in your fuel to 15%, that no motorcycles or off-road vehicles can stomach.) Meanwhile, the price of corn and corn tortillas goes up in Mexico.  >:(
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 06:14:19 pm
The times I checked out the stations listed on some of the web sites that show filling stations that sell alcohol free gasoline in Arizona I found that they didn't have any.

I have found several places that do sell alcohol free gasoline but they all are in the business of selling racing fuel and they want an arm, a leg and part of your rectum as payment for it.
They also want you to sign a form that swears you will only use the fuel off road in a racing environment and lying about it is punishable by the law.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 04, 2018, 07:15:31 pm
The times I checked out the stations listed on some of the web sites that show filling stations that sell alcohol free gasoline in Arizona I found that they didn't have any.

I have found several places that do sell alcohol free gasoline but they all are in the business of selling racing fuel and they want an arm, a leg and part of your rectum as payment for it.
They also want you to sign a form that swears you will only use the fuel off road in a racing environment and lying about it is punishable by the law.

Sounds like California is moving east.  ::)
2011 Royal Enfield B5 500, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph Bonneville T-100, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 11:25:27 pm
I am taking a trip up to Portland OR next week to visit relatives (in a car) I found a dealer called Triumph of Seattle that sells RE. They have Himalayans in stock, and allow test rides. I'm going to take a run up there and check one out again. My only issue has been getting on it. The riders seat is fine, but I found it difficult to swing my leg over the passenger seat getting on. But I really like this bike, and have a couple of other bikes I don't really want anymore that I can sell to pay for most of it, and make room for it.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 04:37:31 pm
Sounds like a plan. I hear and see only good things about the Himis. Affordable off-road competence. As for me,  I spent the afternoon looking over a forlorn '95 1200 Sportster in blue. Pictures and commentary to follow as a separate topic soon if I wind up adopting this rescue scoot...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:35:19 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India.

9fingers

• Bulleteer
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 06:08:22 am
Suitcasejefferson, I am a little late to this thread but wanted to comment. I went to the NYC bike show Saturday to check out the new 650s and  I have to say, while I was there, I checked out the Himalayan and was very impressed. It looks and feels right and was just super comfortable. I watched all the YouTube videos I could find and this thing is pretty cool! I could see myself getting one. After riding bikes between 154lbs and 204lbs most of my life....see list below......I can't quite get my head around riding a 400lb bike off road, but I watched people do it successfully on the videos and it was clear the bike was pretty good even if some of the riders were not that good. As for getting a leg up over the back? Yes, it is a bit of a stretch. Maybe try the method used by hotshot cowboys in the old westerns and jump off something high and land in the saddle..........then again, maybe not. Please let us know after your test ride.
9fingers
2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350