Author Topic: Joined the club yesterday  (Read 837 times)

linearB

• Scooter
on: April 24, 2019, 05:24:22 PM
My '09 Bullet was finally demolished from the dirt roads around here to the point that it was not worth fixing; once a dealer confirmed this for me (laundry list of scary safety stuff, culminating with a leaking head gasket) this left me with the option of either trailering my broken bike home and doing a bunch of homework, or, just taking a trade-in and doing the impulsive thing.

I had my kid with me which limited my test riding ability, but RE was nice enough to babysit so that I could at least get up to 50-55 on nearby roads. Super sweet bike and I can't wait until a friend gets over here to help me unload it so I can go hit some twisty dirt and maybe some class-IV roads.

9fingers

• Grease Monkey
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 11:53:07 AM
Congrats and good luck with the new Himalayan!
9fingers
Currently own:
2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:15:48 PM
LinearB,
You will love the bike. At the company press introduction I was allowed to ride with the "big boys" which meant that I was well over my head. My mistake was taking in into the wet clay, mud, water crossings course that RE had set up. I have never been on dirt before much less wet and challenging. That bike carried me like a champ. I went down three times and got right back up with not even minor damage. The press friends of mine rode harder, some went down and none even broke a mirror or brake/clutch lever. Not one even had a hiccup all weekend.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

linearB

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 06:24:10 PM
I've been really happy so far. Keeping it at 40mph the first 300 miles is tough even up here in the hills and I have had to cheat a couple times and hit road speed for a few miles, but I've only got another hundred or so miles to go and then I'll change the oil / filter.

It's a bit torquier on the low end than my 2009 C5 was; the acceleration seems better, at least up to 40-45.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 06:51:53 PM
The impulsive thing is what got most of us here!
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 09:25:39 AM
I think you will love it. I'm right on the verge of buying one. I bought a new 2013 B5 Bullet inn 2013, and had some issues. But I still don't regret buying it. I converted it to a carb and put on an aftermarket exhaust, and even some British flag emblems on the side covers. It feels and sounds beautiful, and still looks new even though it has over 10,000 mile on it. I keep it in what used to be my living room but is now my bike room. I spent my whole life (just turned 60) riding Japanese bikes, and I'm trying to get away from that. I now have the RE Bullet, a Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, a newer Vespa scooter, and a vintage Vespa P200E 2 stroke manual shift scooter. And I'm looking forward to getting a Himalayan to replace a Japanese dual sport I recently sold. Japanese bikes are reliable, but to me they are drop dead boring, especially the newer ones.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best of intentions'

9fingers

• Grease Monkey
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 12:38:59 PM
Great pictures linearB. That bike looks like the perfect tool for the places you ride. Bet of luck with it.
9fingers
Currently own:
2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • "What's He Building In There"?
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 12:46:54 PM
    There are literally hundreds of videos on Youtube now featuring this bike. You can't keep up with them even if you DO have the time.

Royal Enfield really has a good thing going here.

Waiting for Itchy Boots 99 today.
'08 Black AVL Classic.ACEhead 9.8:1/manifold/canister. TM32.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed.Gr.TCI.Bobber seat.Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.