Author Topic: What's that hook for on a "Military" Metal Pannier?  (Read 3584 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
on: March 28, 2018, 02:00:35 am
My 2005 "Military" metal panniers both have a fairly substantial sort of rectangular hook located just below the hinge. It's maybe a half inch wide and seems like it might have been purpose built for holding something or other, and not merely to support the lid when open. Does anyone know what that "something" might have been originally? You can sort of make out that hook in this grainy cropped photo...

So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 03:12:43 am
It just looks like something to keep the lid from flopping over to me.

Then again, it might be there to hook something onto but I have no idea as to what it would be.  Maybe a water bottle or a spare fuel container?  ???
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 05:48:24 pm
If my helmet had D rings, I'd try to hang it there.
But I use a buckle. ;)
Lurker on a Vespa

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 12:30:30 am
I've looked at hundreds of those and never noticed. Does it keep the door from opening too far?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 01:26:30 am
I've looked at hundreds of those and never noticed. Does it keep the door from opening too far?

Yeah, it holds the lid up. Maybe that's it sole purpose, but it just seems a little "beefy" for just that...like it should be toting a fuel can or an Enfield 303 rifle or something.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:17:35 pm
I loved those panniers. They were so crude and old skool that they fit the Military look totally. RE could not understand why Americans liked them. When they disappeared I was bummed.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 07:07:43 pm
I loved those panniers. They were so crude and old skool that they fit the Military look totally. RE could not understand why Americans liked them. When they disappeared I was bummed.

I adore mine, and I don't know as I'd ever describe them as "crude."  Mine, at least, just seem perfectly well-made, finished and fitted. Closing and latching the tops requires just the right amount of downward pressure to mate and secure the latch with a gratifying "click".  Honestly, you'd kinda expect a pair of steel panniers mounted in a steel rack to really rattle, hum and buzz down the road, but mine are perfectly quiet.

If I didn't have these panniers, I might be tempted to get a pair of these Stansport Saddle Bags for just $21.41 delivered (with Amazon Prime), if I were feeling footloose. They seem sturdy enough. In fact, what the hell--I just got a pair anyhow while looking them up again for the Norton. If you don't favor the olive green and "natural leatherette", it looks like black will be available next month for just a few bucks more. I may or may not slop some wax cotton treatment on them for waterproofing that I have around for the old Belstaff jacket and trousers.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:02:27 am by Bilgemaster »

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 06:44:36 pm
When I purchased my RE from George (RIP)in Fairbanks AK, he asked me if I wanted a Military. I went with the “ British Green” ( it’s call something else. But if I had it to do over the Miltary would have been more useful to me.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 04:45:48 pm
Well, one of these "solar shower" gizmos would likely dangle there well enough. I can't say as I'd want to trust it as my main source of water plodding along through the Mojave Desert, but it might do for toting a few gallons of water to a far flung campsite for cooking or, you know, a nice shower. Sadly the optional lathering hotties are extra...

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 10:44:11 pm
Maybe it’s to secure the box itself to the carrier frame, so it doesn’t bounce loose after coming across an unexpected ravine.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 12:12:36 am