Author Topic: The Switch Is Gone  (Read 2214 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: March 23, 2018, 02:00:15 pm
       I've noticed the safety nannies have finally managed to get yet another bunch of regulations through that have actually made the Headlight Switch finally disappear completely, gone, not there, never to appear again.

It must have pissed them all off so bad when they discovered that we were OVERRiding ("How dare they"?) and by-passing their orders ("Heaven Forbid"!) and removing the switch jumper and not minding like their other little robots do. They decided "We'll f**k them. We'll outlaw the SWITCH itself"! Another decision taken away from the "free" bike rider.

What's next? RPM controls that canNOT be by-passed? Taking away your ability to decide when to shift gears? Taking away the Gears? Make manual trannies illegal?  Take away your clutch lever?

We've lost it. We've allowed it. They've won. And they didn't have to fire a shot. And it really didn't take that long, either. I'm glad I'm 80. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:02:48 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 02:14:49 pm
Uhhh... switches cost money?
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:28:49 pm
Easy enough and sometimes cheaper to retro fit parts from other/older models ! 

I bought an ElectraX switch for £11 (delivered)  to cannibalise for its internal parts after my £45 B5  switch unit self destructed.
It has identical electrical multi connectors and an almost identical switch housing - the £11 unit came with an additional location to fit the Bi-starter cable  :o

Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:39:44 pm
The headlight always on jumper was Royal Enfields fix so the bikes would meet the U.S. DOT requirements.

The new change is to meet the Euro requirements and I guess RE decided they could save the cost of a switch and a jumper by just eliminating the switch entirely.

Of course European Union has repeatedly shown it doesn't give a damn what the millions of people under its control think.
A prime example of a bureaucracy's bureaucracy with the "bit in its teeth", totally uncontrolled by anyone outside of it.

It is a prime example of what some people in the U.S.A. want Washington to become. >:(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 08:34:18 pm

A prime example of a bureaucracy's bureaucracy with the "bit in its teeth", totally uncontrolled by anyone outside of it.

It is a prime example of what some people in the U.S.A. want Washington to become. >:(

And a rapidly increasing number of them every year have been and are being churned out by the machines our useless K through 12s and universities have become over the past 60 or 70 years and they don't even know how controlled they are any more. They seem to accept it, want it, crave it. It's lunacy. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:31:23 pm
I bet you can hardly wait for the government-approved Royal Enfield electric motorcycle to be introduced that has a speed limiter, a GPS that keeps track of where and how far you have gone so that Big Government can send you a road maintenance fee bill, and a device that cuts your motor when a cop wants to give you a ticket for violating any highway law or regulation.  :o  I have no doubt it is coming soon.  In the meantime you can watch what Kymco has in store for you. Everyone in their video sure looks happy, happy, happy.  Gotta love those happy pills:   :-*
http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/kymco-ionex-electric-scooter-platform-announced.html
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:37:49 pm
I bet you can hardly wait for the government-approved Royal Enfield electric motorcycle to be introduced that has a speed limiter, a GPS that keeps track of where and how far you have gone so that Big Government can send you a road maintenance fee bill, and a device that cuts your motor when a cop wants to give you a ticket for violating any highway law or regulation.  :o  I have no doubt it is coming soon.  In the meantime you can watch what Kymco has in store for you. Everyone in their video sure looks happy, happy, happy.  Gotta love those happy pills:   :-*
http://www.motorcycle.com/mini-features/kymco-ionex-electric-scooter-platform-announced.html

"You meet the nicest people on a Kymco Ionex"

and anyone on one of those awful internal combustion engines is now an evil, vein-biting, baby-choking, polar bear drowning, ear drum assaulting, NOX spewing criminal cretin.

Hey, it worked for Honda. It's easy to see who the "enemy" will become once the electric bikes become the "nice", "approved", "politically correct" thing to own and ride. There will surely be government (tax payer) backed loans and tax payer paid credits to buy these things just as there are for electric cars now. As far as I know, the government is still passing out tax credits (government social engineering) to push Teslas; I think it's $7,500 everywhere except California where it's $10,000. 

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 10:48:37 pm
                "You meet the nicest people on a Kymco Ionex"

and anyone on one of those awful internal combustion engines is now an evil, vein-biting, baby-choking, polar bear drowning, ear drum assaulting, NOX spewing criminal cretin.

Hey, it worked for Honda. It's easy to see who the "enemy" will become once the electric bikes become the "nice", "approved", "politically correct" thing to own and ride. There will surely be government (tax payer) backed loans and tax payer paid credits to buy these things just as there are for electric cars now. As far as I know, the government is still passing out tax credits (government social engineering) to push Teslas; I think it's $7,500 everywhere except California where it's $10,000.

If you purchased an electric motorcycle or scooter last year, you can receive a 10% rebate, up to $2,500, on your U.S. tax return this year.  Oddly the rebate (tax cash credit, not a deduction) is not offered for an electric motorcycle purchase that occurs this year.  ??? So you get an incentive for purchasing an EV last year, when it wasn't in the previous tax law, but it will not be an incentive to buy one this year. Congress is just weird.  :o
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1