Author Topic: Oxygen sensor and euro 4  (Read 10887 times)

bonkers

• Scooter
on: March 22, 2018, 09:01:48 pm
I'm looking forward to replace the original muffler for the Hitchcock Efi exhaust.
The price in stainless is just a fraction more expensive, therefore I would like to change the exhaust pipe aswell, so both in stainless. Another reason is that because the bike is the new Stealth Black C5 the whole exhaust system is black so if you change the black muffler for stainless you should change the pipe as a whole too I think.
So I asked Hitchcock if the new pipe also has a thread to allow the O2 sensor to be plugged in. The answer was that if the bike is a euro 4  an O2 eliminator should NOT be used and the oxygen sensor needs to remain in place otherwise its likely for you to cause some running issues!
Anyone any experience with this item?
I also would like to delete the air injection on the new bike, this should be permitted and without any danger they told me.
Same question, any experience...?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:11:52 pm by bonkers »
Before;
Triumph T120- Norton Commando 5x
Triton T150V tripple- BMW R80
BMW R100RS- BMW R100S
BMW R80 G/S- BMW R80 GS
BMW R100 GS- BMW R80 GS Basic
BMW R100 CS- BMW R80 ST
BMW R NineT- Buell S2
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport- Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1 Ice Blue
Current;
Stealth Black C5 RE- BMW R100 Monolever 7 rock

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:07:13 am
  No personal experience with these new Euro 4 tuned bikes.  But I'm thinking with an o2 sensor.. AND.. that PAV system on there, blowing air into the exhaust port.  The tune on the the stock ECU has to be pretty different then the bikes up until this point.   I probably would'nt do anything to the intake or exhaust until  someone puts  one of these bikes on a dyno and see's what the fueling is like.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:05:57 am
Wild Bill from this forum has a reverse cone muffler, O2 eliminator and EJK controller on his 2018 Euro 4 C5    https://youtu.be/tLYLo9l_iek
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:30:21 am
There's always the option of having the exhaust ceramic coated in black.
Not a lot of difference cost wise and it would retain the original Stealth look of the bike.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 10:02:29 am
Sounds like a similar system to my 865cc pre-Euro IV Thruxton. On that you can just put a resistor in the O2 sensor socket. You can also remove the air injection system, or just put a marble or equivalent into the tube so that the ECU thinks it’s injecting air but it isn’t... The difficulty here is that, unlike with the Triumph, there is no software to enable the warning light(MIL) to be disabled when either the air injection or the O2 sensor has been disabled or removed. I don’t think enough is yet known about Euro IV REs to start messing with them, especially if you don’t have experience of similar systems. FWIW I have the Hitchcock’s exhaust pipe and stainless silence on my LE Despatch, which also had a black system originally. It looks good. Originally I put their performance silencer on but it got on my nerves after a while and I kept scraping it on the ground when cornering enthusiastically. :) Not sure how long the stainless one will be available; it’s made by Motad, who went bust IIRC.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 05:44:45 pm
When I recently had my 2015 865 Bonneville dyno tuned, they were able to just turn off the O2 sensor setting in the stock computer.  ;)

I removed the sensors and plugged the pipes, then trailered the bike to them. I probably could've rode in but I had also modded my air intake and did not want to risk burning an exhauast valve.  :P

Thai Bonnie now screams in parralel twin ecstacy when accelerating and growls like a big cat on decelleration.  :o. But I digress...

Air injection was removed by the dealer (at my request) before first start up to preserve head pipe chrome with cooler exhaust, and provide easier access to spark plugs.  8)

The Triumph emission controls / ecu is pretty user friendly. It has been my hope that RE would follow suit so we don't have to buy a PC-V just to make improvements.  ::)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 07:18:35 pm
If you search the forum (I haven't because lazy, sorry) for "O2 sensor" I'm sure there'll be one that mentions the eliminator from some chap on ebay that iirc was supposed to sort low throttle response but had the correct resistors and didn't trigger the MIL light or something which might help you bonkers.

I know I bought one but put the sensor back in after whilst better, not improved.

Funnily enough, and it might be different fuel, mucking about with throttle cable slack, I don't seem to suffer from it anymore. Bizarre.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 05:28:39 am
well it's true- I was running a shorty sports exhaust and an ejk tuned for the euro3 on my bike.......for a short time...LOL
then one day under full power I lost power in 5th on one big hill ::) LOL

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 09:18:49 am
 :o

Is it back at the dealer? Cause identified?
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

bonkers

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 11:05:14 am
Wow Bill, I just watched your movie...Didn't even know what an EJK was, now I know!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:29:44 pm by bonkers »
Before;
Triumph T120- Norton Commando 5x
Triton T150V tripple- BMW R80
BMW R100RS- BMW R100S
BMW R80 G/S- BMW R80 GS
BMW R100 GS- BMW R80 GS Basic
BMW R100 CS- BMW R80 ST
BMW R NineT- Buell S2
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport- Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1 Ice Blue
Current;
Stealth Black C5 RE- BMW R100 Monolever 7 rock

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 07:31:13 pm
When I recently had my 2015 865 Bonneville dyno tuned, they were able to just turn off the O2 sensor setting in the stock computer.  ;)

I removed the sensors and plugged the pipes, then trailered the bike to them. I probably could've rode in but I had also modded my air intake and did not want to risk burning an exhauast valve.  :P

Thai Bonnie now screams in parralel twin ecstacy when accelerating and growls like a big cat on decelleration.  :o. But I digress...

Air injection was removed by the dealer (at my request) before first start up to preserve head pipe chrome with cooler exhaust, and provide easier access to spark plugs.  8)

The Triumph emission controls / ecu is pretty user friendly. It has been my hope that RE would follow suit so we don't have to buy a PC-V just to make improvements.  ::)

I did all that myself. One of the trash me I opted for an air/oil cooled Thruxton rather than the new l/c ones is because you can remap the ECU directly using free software. The difference between a stock bike and one that has had the airbox baffle removed (an immediate, free 1bhp gain), a replacement free flow airbox and intake and a free flowing exhaust is like night and day and is really cheap compared to having to fork out for a PCV etc. In my case I downloaded a Triumph Twin Power map to suit the mods made, gaining a real increase in torque and a better top end. I disabled the MIL light in respect of the O2 sensors and Secondary Air Injection (both removed) using TuneEcu. Easy peasy.
It strikes me as odd that RE in developing a Euro IV compliant engine management system appears to have adopted a system that Triumph has just abandoned in doing the same thing. How can it be that Triumph had to cease using air injection to comply and yet RE have adopted a similar system to comply? Weird.
I’d love to have a look at a Euro IV RE to figure out how to remove all the crap but until somebody who knows what they’te doing does so we won’t be able to advise authoritatively on such questions as posed by the OP.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 12:53:54 am
looking at these 2 photos of the bike left and right side with tank off  it appears there is only one live lead going into the wiring harness plus the flexable style lead which comes out the cylinder head and the rubber hose which eventually feeds its way towards the back of the bike

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 12:56:51 am
forgot the photos ::) so it would be just a matter of what would happen if anything - if you did connect that wire in the wiring harness which connects all this euro4 system together

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 02:14:36 am
It is kind of strange but all of that plumbing seems to have vibrated off of my 2011 California Bullet, along with the funky canister stuck to the front of the down-tube.  I have no idea whatever happened to it.  ??? It must be laying in a freeway roadside debris pile somewhere.   ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 07:38:58 am
Wild Bill what have you discovered inside that engine ?
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)