Author Topic: Hello and whats the difference?  (Read 3552 times)

Cazzy_R

• Scooter
on: March 17, 2018, 11:38:32 pm
Hi new on the forum, but been lurking for a some time.
My local dealer is knocking out "new" Euro 3 CGTs for £4K.
Could anyone tell me what the differences are between the Euro 3 and Euro 4 models.
Thanks in Advance.  :)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 12:30:52 am
It looks like you'd be getting ABS and superb Brembo disk brakes front and rear if you were to hold out for a Euro 4 model.  For a vicarious ride on one, you'd do well to check out your countryman "TheMissendenFlyer's" YouTube review of it here.

That Euro 4 looks like an awfully sweet ride to me, but the Euro 3 may have its own virtues, and 4,000 quid's not a bad price for any new bike.  According to that review, a Euro 4 Conti will run you £5,199.

I'm being tugged around on a frumpy old 2005 iron barrel here in the Land of the Plastic Spork, so am no authority on the matter.  We rude colonials know not of your old world Euro ways, and cannot distinguish between prawn and oyster forks. In fact, many of us have never even seen a "prawn," we see only "shrimp." Still, I am confident that someone else will come along soon with a more knowledgeable take on the whole Euro 3 vs. 4 thing.

Best of luck however it turns out!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:02:40 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Cazzy_R

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 11:17:17 am
 Thanks for the response Bilgemaster.
 I had hoped that ABS was the only difference as on a machine of this type I'm not too concerned by the lack of it.
 My query was mainly regarding the ECU and mapping. I can see from this forum that the CGT can be problematical with stalling and poor running, in some cases. My thinking was that these problems may have been cured on the Euro 4 version? And that the Euro3 models are therefore less of a bargain?
 Hitchcock's Power Commander information certainly gives the impression that the two bikes are significantly different in the ECU and mapping departments. As to wether the Euro 5 is significantly better?
Does anyone know?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:15:05 pm
I don't think Euro 5 is going to do gasoline engines any favors.  BMW is currently developing a new boxer engine with automatically adjustable camshafts (VVT - variable valve technology) to apparently smooth out power delivery and also reduce emissions as required by Euro 5. They are spending a lot of money and engineering effort to meet these new standards and they wouldn't be doing this if they didn't have to, as their current boxer engines are already pretty good and relatively reliable - much more so than in the past.

I have been tracking engine designs and specifications during the Euro 3 and Euro 4 period and they almost universally loose top end power, which has caused motorcycle manufacturers to enlarge engine displacement to recover that lost power, but at least this does have the advantage of increasing torque and improving the power curve at mid-range revs.  However, all these new engine designs seem to be gaining weight and complexity as the regulations march along.  :(
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 03:08:52 pm
Thanks for the response Bilgemaster.
 I had hoped that ABS was the only difference as on a machine of this type I'm not too concerned by the lack of it.
 My query was mainly regarding the ECU and mapping. I can see from this forum that the CGT can be problematical with stalling and poor running, in some cases. My thinking was that these problems may have been cured on the Euro 4 version? And that the Euro3 models are therefore less of a bargain?
 Hitchcock's Power Commander information certainly gives the impression that the two bikes are significantly different in the ECU and mapping departments. As to whether the Euro 5 is significantly better?
Does anyone know?

Thanks right back at you for the tip o' the hat, but like I said, what with me nursing around an oil-drooling carburetted "El Primitivo" 2005 iron belly here in the Land of the Plastic Spork (which, despite its "fresh from the battlefield at El Alamein" appearance is actually the newest vehicle I own), I'm not really all that hip on the latest Euro-boffin baubles and electro-snoodles. Suffice it to say that you'd likely have some real fun on those hedgerowed byways of yours yonder on either type of ride, and you'd best grab something righteous and snorty before the Nannies wrap you and everything else mobile in bubble wrap. I don't want to say that every mandated step "forward" is necessarily to your detriment, but well...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:01:49 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Cazzy_R

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 10:00:15 pm
 Excuse the Euro 5 reference. I mean't Euro 4! DOH!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 10:17:18 pm
Excuse the Euro 5 reference. I mean't Euro 4! DOH!

That's OK, we're kind of foggy on that whole Euro thing over here across the pond. It's been awhile, but I'm led to understand that Euro 5 is to Euro 4 just like Pounds were to Guineas, or maybe vice versa. That is you just add a bobber, two skinny tanners, four crooked thrupneybits or a couple-dozen farthings to Euro 4 to get Euro 5, or subtract a macaroon or six florins or a John O' Groats for a Euro 3, right?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:46:53 pm by Bilgemaster »

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 11:47:39 am
The main difference/improvement is that the Euro 4 model's come fitted with ABS brakes. There are various small changes that have been done to accommodate the extra hardware needed to fit the ABS but not very noticeable.

Fresh air injection into the exhaust port has also been introduced and has no real benefit other than what I assume is for emission testing and has just added extra components and pipe work to the bike.

The less noticeable changes is that the bike now uses a different ECU all though still a Keihin unit and the addition of an extra sensor on the intake. The Power Commander for a Euro 4 model needs to be different to the old type due to a different number of pickup's for the crank sensor. The oxygen sensor now operates over a wider range and cannot be "fooled" with a simple resistor in place. Instead a 02 optimiser is needed in line with the oxygen sensor and wiring loom.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 12:50:35 pm
Just great. :o

Let's just lock in the lack of power, and make it even harder to like it. Prevent the few items of existing upgrade stuff from working on it too.

Genius!
 :o
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Cazzy_R

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:31:32 pm
 Thanks for that comprehensive reply Dantheman!  ;)
 On that basis I shall make the conclusion that there is no benefit to purchasing a Euro4 model over the 3.  8)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:47 pm
Check out the power and torque dyno curves in this article comparing the Euro 3 2016 Suzuki 1000 with the 2018 Suzuki 1000, for an example of what Euro 4 does for an engine.   :(
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/live-2018-suzuki-gsx-s1000z-long-term-review.html
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1