Author Topic: Jawa & BSA to return?  (Read 5937 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 02:38:52 am
Bilgemaster, can I get back to your old BSA for a moment?

Are you sure you're talking about the right model? With all the 441 Victor models BSA fitted a proper 6305 bearing in the timing side as well as the NU305 roller bearing on the drive side. Later B50 engines were given a second bearing on the drive side crankshaft. Any bronze bushing in place of the proper main bearing should not have been a factory fitting.

It was the earlier C15 and B40 models which had the plain bush, but this was on the timing side. The drive side still had a proper bearing. Later 250 models (as well as the military version of the 350cc B40) also got the 6305 timing side main.

A.

Sure, I could be wrong or just foggy on the precise details. It's been about 30 years. I only know what I was told at the time about that BSA by the usually ultra-knowledgeable folks at a motorcycle used parts joint in Austin, Texas where I got most of the random bits on the cheap needed to cobble back together the "basket case" Norton N15CS 750 "Desert Sled" I'd picked up near Hearne, Texas (a great place to be from) for $100, where it had been an unregistered ranch vehicle.

They'd warned me long before it happened of exactly what I could expect with that BSA drive shaft from the company having recklessly cut corners, and sure enough it eventually transpired just as they said it would: the wobbly shaft caused the rotor to grab the stator and Presto!--a goodly portion of the bike's wiring was suddenly inside the primary chain case. The good news was that the Norton was just about roadworthy by then, and I unloaded that crippled Beesa for more than I'd paid for it. I still have that Norton--sorely in need of a rebuild (Hell, it was already in need of a rebuild for a good chunk of the '90s, when it was my daily driver), but she's in deep hibernation in the shed. Sure, I've been pleasantly distracted by this new-to-me Bullet, but that Norton's next stop on the give-it-some-love train. Promise.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 02:48:54 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:10:49 pm
Here's a story about the new Mahindra Jawa engine.  It looks really nice. And a lot like the old Jawa smokers,  but it's a 4 stroke. 
https://www.rideapart.com/articles/272367/mahindra-jawa-300cc-single-engine/
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 12:40:36 am
I've seen articles about this engine on other web sites and they all say it is liquid cooled.

Try as I might, I don't see one, let alone two places that a coolant hose would connect to that engine to allow it to be liquid cooled.

Does anyone else see a water in and water out connection?

If it really is an air cooled engine which would justify the deep cooling fins I see then I really wonder about the entire thing.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 01:07:04 am
There's a big black plastic hose stub in the front of the cylinder head and a rubber hose from the barrel to behind the right hand engine case. Presumably there is a water pump in there.
Anyway, it's a nice looking motor.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E