Author Topic: Hah! Yep, it's thaaaat simple....  (Read 2969 times)

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
on: March 07, 2018, 05:32:00 am
Howdy yall, I'm on the road again, and for all the wonderment and fear of high-buck fuel pumpery that was, well-it just wasn't. I'm for the most part an analytical thinker, and therefore I started back at square one. The bike was acting pithy for a day before it crapped out. No loss of power, just erratic idling, and the 'pump-not-working/pump is anemic' syndrome. Okay. I found the bad relay as stated in the earlier post, replaced it and still big cranky/no starty.
Being the evil genius I am I realized the fact that ALL THREE relays must be Thunderbirds GO for this popper to, well, pop.
Crafty I jets down to the local NAPA store, slammed down the ducats for two more relays. Sashay to the bike, plug em all in and POPPITY POW POPPITY POW(repeat) she busts off like nermal.
I heartily recommend everybody replace theirs as well. Carbon buildup on the contacts inside the relay are the culprit and that's due to low grade metals. So swap the Indian junk out for some Chinese junk. You fellas with pump problems I feel for ya, and although it wasn't my problem this time it may crop up in the future. At least now I know where to get one cheap(er) and know how to break down and reassemble the unit.
Cheers!
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 01:38:55 pm
What year is your GT? Or, how old is it?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:46:58 pm
What is the Napa number for those relays Jellyroll? (Same on a C5 right?)

I think I'll keep a couple in the saddlebag just to assure that mine never go bad! ;)
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:42:08 pm
Relay = NAPA  AR 272

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 02:06:40 am
Guaire, it's a '14, from the first batch(with all the problems). Narada and HP, NO they are not, the AR 272 IS for the C5, but not even close to what the GT uses. Totally different layout. Here are the two I got at the shop. Different numbers, same damn thing and about 3 bucks difference at 15 and 18 bucks US. The third one he had was yet a different number and the SAME relay to boot at 31 freakin' dollars! One of them has a neato rubber cover over the relay, no fit problems. Okay, hang on, I gotta get the receipt.....Okay-
   AR634@21.54ea paid 15.39
   AR606@24.74ea paid 18.99
Do yourself a favor and call the shops you deal with before you drive all over the place and get disappointed. For a common item all four places I checked either didn't have it or only had one or two. The NAPA guy pulled a no-longer-available catalog of every damn electrical component ever made and found more than 7 relays that matched identically, so if you can get with someone like that it will help big time to take one of the relays with you to physically match them up.
Cheers!
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 01:40:51 pm
Mine is a ‘14 too. I’ll take a look at the relays. Fortunately, I haven’t had that problem. My big problem was getting the fuel line to not kink.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 04:13:17 pm
Sorry, was just passing on previous info about the NAPA relay.   Avoid the hassle and order the OEM # 585681/A from Tim at REFW!

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 08:21:17 pm
Nah, HP, that's how I found out AR 272 wasn't the right relay. The book the NAPA guy pulled out was well over 1000 pages of stuff. And, Harold is right too, you can order it from RE or go the car part route. Whatever it takes to get back on the road, I sez!
Harold, we got to get together-soon, mayhap we can meet up at the Health Camp(if it's still on the Circle) for a burger and bike display(lol). If you can make it to the air show I'll get you and the missus in free, lemme know    Cheerio
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 04:48:54 pm
Jellyroll,   can't remember/figure out (older age) how to do PM.  Is your computer back up?  Will try to email.  Yes, Health Camp is still there but now being overrun by customers of Chip and Joanna Gaines "the table" (formerly the Elite).  Guess that's progress.    Cheers, hp