Author Topic: Todays press launch of the Himalayan - Yes it's finally here.  (Read 7738 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Royal Enfield of North America (RENA) was kind enough to invite me to the press launch of the Himalayan yesterday and today. We are at a Motorsports complex in Midlothian Texas and have been riding both on and off road all day. If you have any interest at all in an Adventure Touring Bike this is the bike you are going to want to own one.

Among the press members represented was David Blasco a familiar face to us in the RE community. After the road portion of the ride we joked with each other that it was hard to get used to a Royal Enfield that didn't miss a shift or had any extra neutrals. The short version is that the bikes were flawless. On the road they were all but vibration free, shifted smoothly clutch or no clutch and had a wide power band. I purposefully rode in the wrong gear many times to see how the bike would handle it. Often times with a limited HP bike you are working the transmission constantly to compensate. Not so with the Himalayan. It has enough torque that starting in second, not downshifting etc. was taken in stride. I was surprised actually at how well it worked. Because of the counterbalanced engine and other design feature it runs very smoothly on the road. No matter what the speed there was no "buzziness" in the handle grips or foot pegs. I was able to get it up to about 80-85 when no one was looking and it was stable and comfortable. Not where you would want to cruise, but it is much more comfortable than the previous models at speed and can hold its own on the freeway.

Dirt was another matter. I have never ridden on dirt and was "challanged" to say the least. While it was fun getting muddy and wet I am not a good judge because I was trying to survive. Those much more experienced writers that were on dirt most of their lives said it did well there as well.

At $4,499 (yes you read that right) it may be the best value in the market today. Having been involved with this brand for almost two decades it is clear to me that RE has come of age.

Just as much fun as the riding the other activities available were awesome. Among them and every boys dream was the ability to operate heavy machinery in an area built just for that. Never knew how much fun a full sized excavator was.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:57:08 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Congratulations!  The price is truly outstanding.  Should sell well if the quality holds up.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
You're right the devil is in the details. I used to have to put my shoe underneath the engine of an old iron barrel while talking with someone so the oil would get absorbed by the shoe rather than on the floor where it could be seen.

From that to what I think is a very fine, very rugged and well built machine was a long journey, but I really do think the brand has climbed the hill.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Now if Royal Enfield would only franchise additional new dealers located in more convenient locations and chose existing shops that don't specialize in selling motor scooters.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
David Blasco's take on the Himalayan, from his blogspot -

http://www.royalenfields.com
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Now if Royal Enfield would only franchise additional new dealers located in more convenient locations and chose existing shops that don't specialize in selling motor scooters.

Richard - The 'boomtown' of DC essentially has two dealerships. The District has about zero dealerships of any kind. But, there are two, one in Maryland and another is in Virginia. Both are planted in the DC area, but not DC. Cycles of Silver Spring and Motorcycles of Dulles. The MD shop is a bout 15 miles away, and the VA one is about 25 miles away. The biggest problem with getting to either one is the daily rush hour.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Richard - The 'boomtown' of DC essentially has two dealerships. The District has about zero dealerships of any kind. But, there are two, one in Maryland and another is in Virginia. Both are planted in the DC area, but not DC. Cycles of Silver Spring and Motorcycles of Dulles. The MD shop is a bout 15 miles away, and the VA one is about 25 miles away. The biggest problem with getting to either one is the daily rush hour.

I am more interested in finding one that will replace my dealership that was located in San Mateo, CA.  They went out of business and sold their building when RE pulled the plug during the big takeover. DC is a little too far for me to want to travel.  RE currently franchised an existing scooter dealership in a touristy area of Oakland.  But since I don't own a bullet-proof vest, I prefer to stay out of that city and besides, you can walk across  the San Francisco Bay Bridge faster than you can ride across it, which makes the trip less than convenient.   :( 

There are a ton of Indian nationals located and working in the Silicon Valley area who would likely love to own a Royal Enfield and that would be a great place for RE to open up a shop or establish a franchise.  But so far there is no hint of that happening.  ???

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Keep your fingers crossed that the Himalayan will be able to stand up to hours of high-speed freeway travel and the hot summertime temperatures that it will experience in the U.S. when ridden by many of its owners here.  http://blog.motorcycle.com/2018/03/06/motorcycle-news/royal-enfield-himalayan-almost/

Charro

• Bulleteer
I'm lucky to have a dealer about 30 miles from me in El Paso TX. I'm dropping a deposit for one on Saturday.

Andy
2014 Royal Enfield C5
2004 Triumph Sprint RS
2004 Triumph Speed Four
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
1998 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Daytona
2012 Ural Gear Up
"Tell me what kind of horse you want to ride. I'll tell you what kind of rider you are." (Old Mexican proverb)

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
cool
that is my closest dealer at 8-10 hours away >:(
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
I'm in AZ, looks like the closest dealer is in Texas. I might just have to buy one if the price doesn't immediately go up or they add a huge pile of bogus charges (the dealer where I bought my 2013 B5 didn't) The hardest riding I would do on it would be on smooth dirt roads at fairly slow speeds. I've been an off road rider since 1967 (started at age 8) but due to age and medical issues I've had to slow down. I can barely get on and off my Yamaha XT225 anymore. I hope the seat on the Himalayan is lower and wider. If I fit I would sell the XT.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
I'm lucky to have a dealer about 30 miles from me in El Paso TX. I'm dropping a deposit for one on Saturday.

Andy

You will have to get back here and tell us how you’re doing with it.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim

Sorry for this cross-post, but regarding the topic of dealerships perhaps I should mention here that last month, in response to a much earlier thread in the 'RE Dealers News and Announcements' section of these forums, I cobbled together a handy Google Map of Royal Enfield Dealerships in USA and Canada, which anyone can edit or add to.  For example, if you know of a fine local shop who may have been a past dealership shed in the recent "shakeup," but which can still sort out a limping Bullet, then by all means feel free to add them to the map! It is very easy to do. The good folks at Winchester Motosports in Clear Brook, Virginia are one example of a former dealership who can still get you on your way, as described in their map listing's note: "Former Royal Enfield dealership, but still provides parts and service".

I thought such a phone-accessible interactive map with contact and other info might be really useful for those who, like me, might want to do a little longer-distance touring than the occasional weekend snort and could use a visual guide to the distribution of the nearest "ports in a storm" for service or parts en route.  I expect it might also be useful for those looking to get their hands on a Royal Enfield of whichever type, new or used.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 04:45:17 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
I'm in AZ, looks like the closest dealer is in Texas...
This is no longer true.

There is a Royal Enfield dealer in the Scottsdale area.

DOUBLE D'S PERFORMANCE
8420 E BUTHERUS DRIVE, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Telephone:
(480) 607-7070
Email:
SALES@DOUBLE-DS-PERFROMANCE.COM
double-ds-performance.com

Although this is just south of Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd in North Scottsdale and is somewhat difficult to find in the mass of twisted streets in the area if you have a GPS you shouldn't have any difficulty in getting there.

Several months ago I visited them to see what they had.
They are primarily an Indian dealer but they had about 5 Royal Enfields on display.
They also had some of the normal parts needed for maintenance and I bought a new air filter from them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:40:01 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
This is no longer true.

There is a Royal Enfield dealer in the Scottsdale area.

DOUBLE D'S PERFORMANCE
8420 E BUTHERUS DRIVE, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Telephone:
(480) 607-7070
Email:
SALES@DOUBLE-DS-PERFROMANCE.COM
double-ds-performance.com

Although this is just south of Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd in North Scottsdale and is somewhat difficult to find in the mass of twisted streets in the area if you have a GPS you shouldn't have any difficulty in getting there.

Several months ago I visited them to see what they had.
They are primarily an Indian dealer but they had about 5 Royal Enfields on display.
They also had some of the normal parts needed for maintenance and I bought a new air filter from them.

Thanks for the tip. I've gone ahead and added it to that Dealerships Map. You've just GOT to support "Double D's", amirite? Feel free to add any notes you think might be helpful. And if anyone else knows of other current or former Enfield dealerships that can still provide parts or service, please feel free to add them, or just contact me, and I'll get them on there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:29:20 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.