Author Topic: Oxygen sensor and euro 4  (Read 11063 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 06:50:36 am
the intake valve not seating correctly plus a couple of minor scrapes in the barrel. the head has now been taken to a cylinder head place to have both valves re-seated with a 3 way cut instead of the two plus a slight hone on the bore
plus plan to give the piston a once over a get rid of the carbon build up and I might give it a bit of a polish up too ;D
now if it had not been such a good bike to start with I would not have wasted my time on it and cashed it and bought another BUT I will give it one chance to come good and redeem itself....LOL after that I can't promise anything.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 12:26:04 am
forgot the photos ::) so it would be just a matter of what would happen if anything - if you did connect that wire in the wiring harness which connects all this euro4 system together

Looking at those pictures.... It appears to be an exhaust injection system , controlled by the ECU.     If so ... ?   It may only be activated for a short time during cold starts, then as the engine warms up , the ECU shuts it off after the Cat is heated up and can do it's thing....At that point the o2 sensor would take over at idle and at cruise , to keep it clean..  I'm thinking.   It may just be there to clean up the emissions a bit  when the motor is running rich at start up.  There maybe a pump in the system somewhere... perhaps ?  Or a hose running to the intake manifold ?   

I suppose one could test the theory , by hooking up some test leads and a meter to that solenoid or relay there is the pics... see if there is voltage when the bike starts up . Then see if the if the Voltage is shut off, after a few minutes as the bike warms up....
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:44:35 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 10:09:16 am
The Triumph Secondary Air Injection system has a solenoid that switches on when the throttle is shut. It opens a valve that allows air from the airbox to be inject d into the exhaust port on the overrun, the idea being to allow any unburnt fuel to be burned. It causes a characteristic waffling sound when the throttle is shut. Nothing to do with cold engines; th RE system may well be different. Many owners disable or completely remove the hardware from the Triumph. Some like the sound, a bit like a Commando, but it blurs the exhaust pipes too...
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

bonkers

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 08:43:32 pm
I just ordered the stainless steel pipe and muflfler together with the air injection delete kit, price 294 english pound (274 for the complete stainless exhaust system). I want to keep the oxygen sensor until there is more experience with the new euro 4 model.
This is what Hitchcock wrote me;

Thank you for your enquiry, we do still have stock of the exhaust system 91131, and represent good value being produced in Stainless Steel. This will fit the E4 C5 models ok.  The air injection delete kit, 90178 is not strictly required as the bike will run ok fitting the exhaust only but by removing it – it does free up a lot of space on the bike and removes a lot of pipes etc. By removing the air injection parts, it does clean up the running slightly as well and will stop a lot of popping back on the over run.
The stainless front pipe has a thread to allow the oxygen sensor to be plugged in.Just as a note, you say your bike is brand new and this means it could be a Euro4 model. If this is the case an 02 eliminator should not be used and the oxygen sensor needs to remain in place otherwise its likely for you to cause some running issues.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:49:17 pm by bonkers »
Before;
Triumph T120- Norton Commando 5x
Triton T150V tripple- BMW R80
BMW R100RS- BMW R100S
BMW R80 G/S- BMW R80 GS
BMW R100 GS- BMW R80 GS Basic
BMW R100 CS- BMW R80 ST
BMW R NineT- Buell S2
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport- Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1 Ice Blue
Current;
Stealth Black C5 RE- BMW R100 Monolever 7 rock

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 02:58:09 pm
Sounds like the air injection system is similar to the (abandoned) Triumph system; if it were my RE I’d remove it and put it in a box labelled Eurocrap. :) I’d also try a resistor in the O2 plug’ leaving the sensor in place at first, just to see if it really does run badly. If it does, I’d just reconnect the O2 sensor. Somebody with a Euro IV bike will eventually do this and put us all out of our agony..... :)

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 12:28:08 pm
In my experience, the Euro 4 bikes have moved on a fair bit from the older model. A simple resistor/eliminator in place of the oxygen sensor will no longer work. Instead, if the bike receives a constant signal from this sensor it will try to "provoke" a reaction by altering the duty cycle of the injector when running in the closed loop area of the bikes mapping.

Initially my bike ran well on the dyno but after a few minutes the AFR was going all over the place and running badly in closed loop state. I have now fitted the latest Euro 4 PCV to my bike and it comes with an 02 optimiser instead of an eliminator, this goes in line of the oxygen sensor and bikes wiring loom and gives live feedback to the ECU but manipulates the signal in order achieve the desired AFR.

When I fitted my old PCV to my new Euro 4 bike I found that the physical connections were all the same and the bike actually ran but not very well. One cause was due to the number of pickups on the flywheel having changed so instead of the PCV picking up a reliable crank signal it was using the injector pulse which is meant as a back up but was less stable and caused running problems.

I have never had any experience with an EJK controller or how it works but I imagine they would have the same problem as the PCV's with the transition to the Euro 4 models and will need an update as well? 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:02:52 pm by Dantheman »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 01:00:17 pm
Well, that should certainly perk up demand for the pre-Euro4 bikes!

Not going to "take over the mid-displacement market" with moves like that.
 :o
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 01:13:31 pm
Thanks to Dantheman for the first proper explanation of how the Euro IV version of the EFI works. I stand corrected but not having one it’s difficult to establish much. I’m afraid that the way things are going it’ll only get worse. Euro V and the Indian equivalent will be even tougher and, I fear, eventually it’ll not be possible to alter anything at all to do with the vehicle. As for Euro IV itself it is somewhat ironic that many of the new compliant bikes actually fuel better and have fruitier exhausts than older versions and often an aftermarket exhaust can be fitted with no need to tinker with anything. I suspect that the market for Power Commanders etc will gradually dwindle. Am I right in thinking that the Euro IV UCE bikes still have Keihin hardware? I just wondered because the twins are switching to Bosch, I believe.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 02:16:55 pm
Just to add a random comment regarding Euro 3 and Euro 4 changes, people who owned a new Euro 3 BMW WC boxer model and then for one reason or another sold (or otherwise lost) that bike and bought a 2018 Euro 4 model of the same vehicle, have reported that the Euro 4-compliant bike felt weaker in the mid-range and the fueling was a little less uneven, compared with the previous version. So it would appear from these random reports that in BMW's case at least, the company has further leaned out the fuel injection system to meet the Euro 4 emission specifications.

Regarding Euro 5: in order to meet those requirements, BMW has developed a completely new WC boxer engine of 1250cc, one with variable cam timing, possibly to recover power lost thanks to Euro 5, as there was nothing wrong with the current boxer engine and most people are pretty happy with it.   ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 04, 2018, 04:00:29 pm
What surprises might surface when someone attempts a carb conversion on these 2018 models ? Will the new ECU still function for the ignition ?
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #25 on: April 04, 2018, 10:43:54 pm
Funnily enough Hitchcocks' **are** now listing complete Mikuni carb conversion kits for the Euro 4 Bullets, CGT, B5 and C5, in their latest on-line version of the catalogue (page 25). They claim have to have tested these extensively on the dyno...

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: April 05, 2018, 06:05:24 pm
Am I right in thinking that the Euro IV UCE bikes still have Keihin hardware? I just wondered because the twins are switching to Bosch, I believe.

Yes, the Euro 4 bikes still use a Keihin setup.

[/quote]
Well, that should certainly perk up demand for the pre-Euro4 bikes!

Not going to "take over the mid-displacement market" with moves like that.
 :o

One can only assume Enfield themselves are backed into a corner and if they want to meet modern emission standards and comply with the laws they are forced to fit this extra hardware and make changes to the bikes running.

One of the first things I actually did was remove the carbon canister and air injection system as it really cleans up the look gives more room.

All though the new Euro 4 bikes may sound less desirable than the older models, I would say the actual quality of the bike have had a turning point and there is a noticeable difference all round compared to the previous "Euro 3" bikes. Whilst there is still a lot of room for improvement in both design and quality control the latest "breed" of bikes have come on a long way in my view.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:07:36 pm by Dantheman »

Jako

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: April 05, 2018, 09:58:40 pm
The future     
https://youtu.be/Ms6S6m8Oul4
2020 Rav Red Interceptor (wife's bike) ,Interceptor 2019 bakers express ,  2021 Honda cb500X, 2021  euro4 Himalayan (wife's)