Author Topic: Trump goes after Royal Enfield  (Read 3645 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
on: February 16, 2018, 11:11:03 pm
Apparently our President, according to this article and its reference, has it in for India imports, including Royal Enfield, and is considering imposing tariffs on Indian imports and the "thousands and thousands of imported motorcycles" that are dumped into the U.S. without paying an import tax:  :o http://www.motorcycle.com/features/trump-trade-royal-enfield-and-harley-davidson.html
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 12:50:15 am
He told the Government of India that he is considering putting a tariff on things imported from India IF they don't reduce or eliminate the tariff they impose against any American parts sent there.

India is one of dozens of countries that we allow to import things into America without a tariff while they in turn put huge taxes on anything we send over there.

Trump feels this is unfair to American workers and I for one agree with him.

I read a rumor that said India was considering lowering their import tariff on American goods due to Trumps stand but how far that goes remains to be seen.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:22:41 am
Interesting article. Thanks for the tip! My hunch is that those Indian motorcycle import tariffs are there primarily to hold the line against the Chinese, not to bar the door against the odd rich boy toy Harley that might squeak into Bangalore for "Fat Sanjay". And all of this kerfuffle about motorcycles is just a Trumpian side show of a side show and not even in the same zipcode as the main events. That whole "They dissed my Harley and took ehr jerbs!" monkey theater may play well with the mouth-breathing nativists here at home, but snagging those agricultural, meat and defense Rupees are the REAL events at center ring of this particular circus, with Pakistan as the formerly "friendly" Dancing Bear now snarling a bit too much at the clowns.  Invest in onions, chickens and Skynet, and short HOG...that's my tip.

One of these products has a profitable outlook. Guess which.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:22:56 am
Well, he is not going to squeeze much money out of Royal Enfield imports.  ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:29:55 am
I'm with Trump about unfair trade, to me his proposals are simply a bargaining tool to keep some countries from levying tariffs on American goods they import while they enjoy us importing their goods without any tariffs. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

Grant

2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar