Author Topic: Sidecar Cab Enclosure  (Read 5158 times)

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
on: March 04, 2018, 10:43:28 pm
Installed a Cab Enclosure on my cozy several weeks back, while raining last week I needed to close and secure the rear window, there is no way I can find to secure it when down to help keep the rain off my baby, when she gets wet and later dries she smells like a common dog. Anyone have any experience with the window or any suggestions as to it may be secured?

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 12:56:55 pm
   I haven't yet encountered any rain, but when assembling mine I noted the same thing. Ran over to a "Dollar Store", plunked down $1 for some Velcro bits, and attached to the bottom corners and center of the window and its flap.
   Once it heats up here this summer I may need to do some minor stitching to keep the Velcro from peeling off, or maybe upgrade to some snaps, but for now (cool weather) it seems to work fine.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:13:01 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:02:49 am
Snaps would be best but I don't think the clear plastic is strong enough. Velcro looks like best answer. They don't seal enough keep you totally dry anyway.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 02:05:36 pm
    I do agree about the snaps/clear vinyl combination, at least without some kind of reinforcement.
    Rain isn't much of a concern here in New Mexico anyway.  :(
    Drought for the last 20+ years, and this winter the driest I've known in over 14 of them. Even when we do get some of the weather from the west, the rain is so spotty you have a bare chance you may feel a few drops for a few minutes. Maybe.
    Snow? HA! Once this winter, and it was only a couple hours of fluffy white stuff floating about. Barely got the ground wet.

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 01:05:35 am
Thank you for your input. By the way, the baby did not actually get wet. The window on mine is just barely the size of the opening and it had been rolled up since I installed the enclosure, needless to say it would not stay unrolled at about 50ºF in the rain letting more rain inside the enclosure than I liked.

An upholstery shop fella can add fabric with snaps if the enclosure frame is removed, I'll think about doing it next winter since the temperatures have been in the 50-69º range for almost a week Spring is here and I plan to ride more than modifying my rig.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar