Author Topic: Went Over 2000 Miles Today  (Read 11141 times)

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
on: August 17, 2007, 01:22:32 pm
 ;D

(No, not all in one ride)

My speedo is now officially over 2000 miles.

Only 2.3 of those miles were on the far right edge of the tire...
and only .006 of those 2.3 where scraping the brake pedal.

Have to do better on the next 2000!

Matt

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:51 pm
I am the last to ever knock the fun of draggin stuff in a turn. The pegs on the Savage are testimony to the idea. I do have to say tho, the BEST speeds thru the turns I play with have been when I didnt let anything touch. The line was right & the lean angle not so crazy, & the dang thing walked thru quicker, carrying better exit speed & the sensation was WILD. I expect I would still be draggin things on the Suzuki because it has such crummy ground clearance, IF I put new pegs on it, buy I would do it less & run thru faster, I think.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:11:11 pm
I am the last to ever knock the fun of draggin stuff in a turn. The pegs on the Savage are testimony to the idea. I do have to say tho, the BEST speeds thru the turns I play with have been when I didnt let anything touch. The line was right & the lean angle not so crazy, & the dang thing walked thru quicker, carrying better exit speed & the sensation was WILD. I expect I would still be draggin things on the Suzuki because it has such crummy ground clearance, IF I put new pegs on it, buy I would do it less & run thru faster, I think.

Draggin' and scrapin' is like mountain climbing. We do it because it's there.

I would strongly engourage people who are agin' draggin', or are aferd of scrapin', or are scerd cause it's unsafe - to not do it. You're just a danger to yourself and the rest of us.

Kidding aside, I've been riding 29 years and I still have a lot to learn. I learn more everyday that I continue to survive on the streets. If I want to learn still more, I can always take additional safety courses like MSF's or track-days courses.

In the meantime, I'm well aware of my own limitiations, as well as both expected and unexpected road hazards.

I tend to live and let live. You enjoy riding your motorcycle. Most cagers would tell you that you're a danger to yourself and others; and that they'll eventually have to pay for your healthcare. Most cagers would have bikes banned because they know what's best for you. As motorcyclists we should be extra sensitive to not trying to tell others how to ride. I live to scrape and lean to drag. Intentionally. People who object to it shouldn't do it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 03:27:13 pm by Thumper »

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:30:03 pm
as old as I am the best I can do anymore is drag my heels ;)

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 06:12:42 pm
I saw a guy in drag once.........Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

gapl53

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:45:39 pm
Between this coming Sunday and Monday I am forced to take a 1,000 mile round trip south, for a two to three hour business meeting. Should I take my Royal Enfield Electra, or my H-D Electra Glide Classic. They both have Electra in the name.

prof_stack

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 08:20:49 pm
Take the Electra-Glide.  For that distance the bagger is better if you're going faster. 

btw:  I had an Electra-Glide for 14 years and loved it.  Sold it last year to end my 20-year affair with Harleys.  No regrets.  Been there, done that. 

A 2008 RE is next for me.  It will join the Buell XB9S, which should be repaired and ready to go next week.  New frame, swingarm, front wheel, etc.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 09:09:30 pm
Between this coming Sunday and Monday I am forced to take a 1,000 mile round trip south, for a two to three hour business meeting. Should I take my Royal Enfield Electra, or my H-D Electra Glide Classic. They both have Electra in the name.

Take the RE, of course.

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 12:58:08 am
I agree, take the RE. You don't have to ride the interstate anyway. Last time I was driving down the freeway, I didn't see any motorcycles at all. If all the bikes are riding the secondary roads, then the only difference betweeb the RE and the big irons is that you'll enjoy yourself more and stop for gas less.

prof_stack

Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 01:16:43 am
Take the RE, of course.
What do you expect, asking this question on an RE site?   :D

Hey, the Electra-Glide was made for the kind of ride mentioned.  Long rides, high speeds, great windscreen, full comfort.  That's without adding options.  Plus more storage space than a motorcycle deserves.

However, if I had an RE with solo seat and bags and a few days to ride, I'd probably choose the slower, more genteel approach too!

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 02:44:18 am
If I had to go 500 miles to a business meeting, then 500 miles back again, I would take my truck.  More comfort, carries more, can any of my bikes in the bed, can sleep in it, and weather doesn't worry it.  If I had a couple of days, to go 500 miles, for some fun, that was not scheduled, and a few days to come home again, I would take the Enfield.  The Harley is a fun ride, but the Enfield is a really fun ride.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

gapl53

Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 03:03:55 pm
Thanks for the advice guys.
I would normally take the cage but then my wife would be without wheels and we live 24 miles to the nearest town. Reminded her that she would have the ATV but she wouldn't hear of it. She has no sense of adventure.

It takes about 8 hours via interstate, 12 hours on the two lane. I'm still up in the air about which one to take.

I'll probably wimp out and take the H-D since they are calling for rain up here.

Thanks again

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 03:39:27 pm
I guess if you have to ride a big bike, you can't beat a Harley.

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 12:54:26 am
er, i could beg to differ ;) ;D  but I might get beat up :o

justin_o_guy

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 10:08:29 pm

Draggin' and scrapin' is like mountain climbing. We do it because it's there.
**************************************************************************************************************
Whoa, whoa, whoa,, there Pahdnuh.. I still like draggin the pegs, Its a kick, BUT I have noticed I can make beter time thru a turn & not drag a peg. I never condemned it.
****************************************************************************************************************

I would strongly engourage people who are agin' draggin', or are aferd of scrapin', or are scerd cause it's unsafe - to not do it. You're just a danger to yourself and the rest of us.

Kidding aside, I've been riding 29 years and I still have a lot to learn. I learn more everyday that I continue to survive on the streets. If I want to learn still more, I can always take additional safety courses like MSF's or track-days courses.

In the meantime, I'm well aware of my own limitiations, as well as both expected and unexpected road hazards.

I tend to live and let live. You enjoy riding your motorcycle. Most cagers would tell you that you're a danger to yourself and others; and that they'll eventually have to pay for your healthcare. Most cagers would have bikes banned because they know what's best for you. As motorcyclists we should be extra sensitive to not trying to tell others how to ride. I live to scrape and lean to drag. Intentionally. People who object to it shouldn't do it.