Author Topic: Ion Air Pro - My First Video Camera of Any Kind  (Read 7600 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: March 02, 2018, 12:41:50 am
         This is so nrml nowadays that probably nobody cares, but a number of weeks ago I bought an Ion Air Pro video camera. I studied the online user manual (the included one sux) and gave it a full charge. It really is a nice little unit and oh, so simple to operate. Then I went and actually opened a Youtube account which I never thought I'd EVER do.

The sun was finally nice enough today and no cold wind (it's been sucky here for weeks) so I decided to put the handlebar mount on and do a test "aiming". What I learned real quick when I viewed the video is that this camera demands full, bright light. The part in the garrahge is terrible.

I can hardly wait to actually ride and make a video. I am really hating winter this year. Anyway, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS6DjADN-Rc&t=209s
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:13:36 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:26:29 am
Beautiful bike, tsv! And the camera ain't bad either.  8)

BTW, LOVE the body outline in your driveway! Gets a few comments I'm sure!ROFL
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 11:42:49 am
Quietest AVL on the planet - don't you know that loud pipes save lives?  ;)

Looking forward to going along on a few of your rides...

BTW, LOVE the body outline in your driveway! Gets a few comments I'm sure!ROFL

Looks just like the Cerne Giant.  Well, almost...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas_Giant

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:18:08 pm
Quietest AVL on the planet - don't you know that loud pipes save lives?  ;)

Looking forward to going along on a few of your rides...

Ha :)  It wasn't running  ;D But you knew that 8)

I've heard the onboard mic wind noise is awful on these Ion Air cameras. We shall see.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 04:20:46 pm
I've heard the onboard mic wind noise is awful on these Ion Air cameras. We shall see.

Somebody, somewhere, with I-don't-know-what-camera, got pretty good results by simply putting a piece of tape over the mic - almost no wind noise, but (somewhat muffled) engine sounds came through pretty well...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 05:02:28 pm
Somebody, somewhere, with I-don't-know-what-camera, got pretty good results by simply putting a piece of tape over the mic - almost no wind noise, but (somewhat muffled) engine sounds came through pretty well...

I could do that, but I wanta be able to blabber on endlessly while I'm riding and still pick up some engine/exhaust noise  :) :) ;)

What good is a motorcycle video without the Vroom Vroom  ??? ??? ;)

I'll pick up a 2.5mm Drift HD mic that will cut out the internal mic and clip up near my mouffe so I can bladder on endlessly into it and still pick up peripheral noise. With a foam wind cover.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 10:52:05 pm
I don't know if you've ever noticed but the microphones used by news reporters have a foam rubber cover over them to keep the wind noise from drowning out the conversations.

If you have an old soft rubber sponge around your kitchen, cut out a piece that is big enough to cover the camera microphone and tape it in place with a narrow piece of duct tape.

Be sure to leave some of the sponge uncovered so the sound can get in.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 03:08:53 am
Ever watch the doom-sayers on The Weather Channel, standing out in hurricane force winds for ratings?  I'm amazed at the sound quality of some of the wind-proof mics those guys and gals use - you'd never know, listening to the voice quality, that they're hanging on by their fingernails in 80mph winds...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 01:44:29 pm
I don't know if you've ever noticed but the microphones used by news reporters have a foam rubber cover over them to keep the wind noise from drowning out the conversations.

If you have an old soft rubber sponge around your kitchen, cut out a piece that is big enough to cover the camera microphone and tape it in place with a narrow piece of duct tape.

Be sure to leave some of the sponge uncovered so the sound can get in.

Yes, I've noticed and as I said below the Drift HD mic comes with a foam wind cover. The Ion Air Pro's audio intake hole is tiny tiny tiny and if you muffle it at all it won't pick up your voice if it's mounted, say, on the bars, but still grabs the wind noise. You just about must have an ext mic clipped near your head with a wind cover or all you get is wind.

Our power has been out for the 2nd day now. I'm on generator just to charge up the frig for a couple hours.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 01:56:57 pm
Ever watch the doom-sayers on The Weather Channel, standing out in hurricane force winds for ratings?  I'm amazed at the sound quality of some of the wind-proof mics those guys and gals use - you'd never know, listening to the voice quality, that they're hanging on by their fingernails in 80mph winds...

Some of my most favorite comic relief comes from what the whole weather soap opera/drama has become. Some of them are absolutely hilarious; like trying to find a puddle deep enough to stand in, preferably up to the knees, to make it look as horrendous as possible. Here in RI we actually have weather alerts now if it's going to RAIN! "Don't leave your house today unless you have 4-wheel drive!! And if you must, be sure you turn your wipers on!!

It's been getting farther and farther over the top since the late '70s. People have been cable TV and social media device engineered to fear a little weather (with help from their parents) and they're absolutely terrified about snow. A huge amount of kids and adults are terrified of EVerything nowadays. Of course, I grew up in Wyoming in the '40s and '50s so waddoowyeno :) :)  We had to put chains on just to get to town.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:16:23 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 02:49:02 pm

Our power has been out for the 2nd day now. I'm on generator just to charge up the frig for a couple hours.

Just checkin' in. Going into 3rd day now. Generator on to bring the frig back up to temp again.

LOTS of trees down EVerywhere, cracked and fallen or totally uprooted and laid over, which means lots of wires down. They're saying maybe Tuesday. 

Kerosene heater, Generac and my vintage '70s Coleman stove are getting a workout this year.  And also that fake, Made in China, French Bodum coffee press we bought a decade ago. Not happy with that thing. Old fashioned percolator is better.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:05:55 pm by tooseevee »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 03:56:14 pm
Sounds like some intense weather you're having.  Stay safe my friend!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 12:42:22 pm
+1!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 04:04:26 pm
Sounds like some intense weather you're having.  Stay safe my friend!

Well into our 4th day now and probably our 4th night. Mornings are the hardest. Get the heater going, fire up the Coleman, try to get coffee made. A cold nightmare with all new kinds of pain; like an old snapping turtle on a cold rock praying for the sun to come out. Oh, Boo F-ing Hoo  ;) ;)

And just a BTW: I'm 80 today 8) :o BFD  :) :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 06:29:22 pm
Congratulations and Happy Birthday.  :)

Hope you get the power back on today.  That would make a pretty good birthday present.

A whole lot better than a couple of pair of skivvies IMO.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary