Author Topic: Pushrod Installation Procedure - 2008 Bullet Electra AVL engine  (Read 3244 times)

jentabeling

• Scooter
I was having an issue with starting my bike (kick start) where it was really difficult to push/kick through and sometimes like the push was 'gummy' or not under proper compression. So I tried to adjust my pushrods. Well I did not do it at TDC so one of them fell out because I made the pushrod too short.
I called my closest RE Service Center (Maryland) and they told me it was a 'serious issue' and would cost about $2,500 to fix. So I did some more research (youtube, forums) and cobbled enough information together to fix it myself. Took me about 4 hours - with NO experience at all and $27 parts.

For your entertainment here is how simple it was:

1) Turn off fuel
2) Remove fuel line
3) Remove seat
4) Remove battery (this was just a precaution and a good time to charge it)
5) Remove fuel tank
6) Remove engine caps (2 of them, each with 4 screws - make sure to remember how they are aligned for putting them back on)
7) See inside of engine - rockers and yes the offending pushrod was clearly seen off the rocker arm
8) Check pushrod for damage and if bent - mine was not bent and in good condition (if it was bent or damaged buy a new set, ebay)
9) Make sure it is at TDC - use the piston finder tool, which is placed in spark plug hole, and when it just starts to go down, you are at TDC.
10) Use fingers to realign pushrod under rocker arm
11) Use fingers to align pushrod through tappet window
12) adjust with 3 size spanners to correct length
13) before putting back together - test with kicker, test again, test again - so long as they both spin freely with no up and down movement, they are set properly
14) put new gaskets on -  (I had bought the engine gasket kit for emergency, found on ebay $15 and tappet cover $5 on ebay)
15) put everything in steps 2-6 back on bike
16) good idea to replace fuel and carb hoses (with new clamps) - found at Autozone for $3
17) good idea to check spark plug and replace if needed  - also at Autozone for $4
18) turn fuel on
19) start bike - and YES it started and runs better than ever! :D ;D :D

If anyone sees anything wrong with this method please respond with details. Thanks all!

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 05:37:05 pm
Most excellent!
I’ve used that method to adjust the valves with a feeler gauge. My TDC tool is a dowl( wooden rod) with a tick mark for TDC.
Now I just go though the push rod cover and feel the adjustment.
These bikes are made to fix.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:43:13 pm
       +1 and good for you as I said on the other thread.

You "probably" could have done it without removing the valve covers and losing those gaskets, but waddoowyeknow??  :) :) I'm not there and you learned more which is good.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

jentabeling

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:51:04 pm
@tooseevee - yes you are right. I did try that but since I did know what was happening at the rocker arm (I really could not look at the drawings and understand and could not find a good pic/video on line showing the AVL insides) I didn't know what to feel for and assumed something broke in the engine.  All because the RE service guy had me thinking it was a serious issue and he also said 'it's like being a surgeon operating on a person, very complicated'.
And to my amazement it was not complicated at all! So for newbie me, opening it up and seeing the rocker arm made all the difference. I really should have taken video too. But alas if it happens again I could do from Tappet window  :o

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 06:18:40 pm
@tooseevee - yes you are right. I did try that but since I did know what was happening at the rocker arm (I really could not look at the drawings and understand and could not find a good pic/video on line showing the AVL insides) I didn't know what to feel for and assumed something broke in the engine.  All because the RE service guy had me thinking it was a serious issue and he also said 'it's like being a surgeon operating on a person, very complicated'.
And to my amazement it was not complicated at all! So for newbie me, opening it up and seeing the rocker arm made all the difference. I really should have taken video too. But alas if it happens again I could do from Tappet window  :o

Again - Good for you. These bikes are so beautifully simple with a little book larnin' and good advice and experience. And a failure once in a while is an incredible, indelible learning experience.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 10:36:38 pm
Nice job!  These bikes are great to work with!!

Gotta ask, 2500$ for re-positioning a push rod??? WTF?!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

jentabeling

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 01:24:27 am
@DanB --- I explained exactly what the issue was and yes they told me $2500 would likely be the cost. After I fixed myself I emailed the RE dealer/service dept that I spoke to and told them I fixed it and that I was very disappointed in their exaggeration of the issue. The guy I spoke with emailed me back and apologized and said that almost 100% of people that say they have a small problem are wrong so he gave me a general idea of what it could cost. Which makes no sense because I explained exactly what I did wrong (shortened pushrod so it fell out). Net result is I would simply never take my bike to them to fix. And needless to say if I ever get a new RE it won't be from them.  :P