Author Topic: Question on using K&N filter - new to forum and RE  (Read 6084 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 09:48:51 am
plus when you run a k&n on a high powered 4 wheeler you usually find it interferes and stuffs up the MAF ;) and that can cost a few $$$..LOL

Stanley

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 06:10:31 pm
I used to use K&Ns in everything I owned. After a while you can see through the cotton felt where the creases are. I found less grit getting past the paper filters I started using.  It's common to find wear on the rear of the piston and carb slide from grit getting through the filter. I prefer to reduce that wear and sacrifice that .01 hp. Unfortunately my IB airbox has the cotton filter, soon to be replaced by a foam Unifilter inside to maintain the plenum effect.
K&N claims to work better dirty than new stock filters, but they don't tout filtration as much as that "huge" powercharger effect. YMMV.
Lurker on a Vespa

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 12:36:43 am
I used K&N filters on a few cars & trucks over the years, but gave up on them for
most all of the reasons given above. I found that the bores of the carbs or throttle bodies would dirty up far more than when measured against a HEPA, paper/fiber filter.
There is no way in hell that an oiled gauze filter will out perform a good paper element of same volume as far as keeping fine particulates from getting into yer motor. And yeah, you'll never see a HEPA rating on a K&N. ;)
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Retjustdad53

• Scooter
  • Old but still racing
Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 02:09:28 am
I believe the consensus is that the paper stock filter works well and does a good job protecting the motor, thanks for the advice.

I was wondering if there is anything else tip wise for a new Royal Enfield owner?
2017 Classic Chrome, 2016 Thruxton R, 2009 Thruxton, 1999 Thunderbird Sport

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 12:39:32 pm
Not sure how your bike's vibration level is, but it doesn't hurt to go over every accessable nut and bolt to ensure they're tight.

Blue LocTite is your friend.  ;)

If any of them have room for a lock washer, that's a good preventative measure, too.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Retjustdad53

• Scooter
  • Old but still racing
Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 03:40:58 am
At the 300 mile service I went over every nut and bolt I could find and only found a couple that were a little loose. I found more on premium bike brands.

I was surprised on how little metal was found in either the screen or on the magnetic drain plugs.

I did find the two bolts holding the side stand switch not completely screwed in, and one snapped when I tightened it.
2017 Classic Chrome, 2016 Thruxton R, 2009 Thruxton, 1999 Thunderbird Sport

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 06:36:48 pm
My professional opinion (former auto mechanic with 36 years experience) NEVER use a K&N air "filter" on anything. A piece of wire screen provides more filtering ability, a lot more dirt will find it's way inside your engine, they are expensive, and a real hassle to clean and reoil, because you have to use K&N cleaner and oil. On my XT225 dual sport, which has a foam filter, I rinse the filter out in gasoline, squeeze it almost dry, let it dry, ten reoil it with engine oil. Cheap and VERY effective. After a full day of riding in the dust of the AZ desert, the outside of the filter will be caked with oil soaked dirt. There will even be chunks that fell into the bottom of the airbox. But the back side of the filter, which faces the carb, will be spotlessly clean. I replace it after about 10 cleanings. I have close to 45,000 miles on a 225cc bike, most of them off road/dirt road.

The Enfield does have an air filter issue. I discovered that the stock filter (what came on the bike) does not fit very well, and will leak air (and dirt) around the edges. My carb kit came with a pleated paper pod type oil filter. I see no way to clean it, I'm going to have to get a few more from Hitchcocks.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Haggis

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 10:25:03 am
My Hitchcock carb conversion came with an S&B conical, reusable filter. Very easy to clean by just putting it in a wide enough glass jar and pouring in some petrol, give it a shake about. It can be left dry or oiled for dusty environments. I oil mine with k&n filter oil. S&B do a similar looking filter but with pleated paper instead of cotton and wire. The paper ones are single use and disposable. Is this what you have?

These are the ones I have, before they were oiled.
The carb one,

And the one fitted to the EFI throttle body,

« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:19:27 pm by Haggis »
Off route, recalculate?

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 08:47:05 pm
Yes, mine looks just like those. But I have no idea what it is made out of. I live in the AZ desert, so it is definitely dusty.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson