Author Topic: My New Trunk  (Read 3935 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: February 20, 2018, 06:39:37 pm
          Mostly being bored and sick of winter is what drives these projects. I'm the type who MUST have something to do even if it's wrong.

Thanks, Fragman, for this idea. There are times when I have to take something small like to the post office and don't want to put the bags on and what do I do with it?

Well, here's my new trunk. It's a covered metal cake pan from Stop&Shop. It's fairly heavy sheet metal with a very rigid plastic cover and VERY strong closures.     
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:41:38 pm
      And this is how it will fasten on. They are very rigid plastic conduit clamps.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:54:28 pm
      And after two days of sanding and watching paint dry here it is mounted.

The cover will take some more serious prep work before the paint will stick.

And it doesn't interfere with throwing the bags on if I want them. And it could be held on just fine with bungee cords if you didn't want it clamped on pernamentally    :)   

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:48 pm
That is cool as funk!! Great idea; can’t wait to see the top done as well!
Damn, I love your innovations
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:16:51 am
That is cool as funk!! Great idea; can’t wait to see the top done as well!
Damn, I love your innovations

No! No! No! It was The Fragman who I got the idea from. Don't let the myth go forth that it was original to me  :) :)

(I wrote "from whom I got the idea" at first, but that's just too damn grammatically correct for me even though I am a grammar cop most of the time. Things like "her and me went to the mall" drive me nuts. Nuclear/nuculer, hone/home, calvary/cavalry, myself instead of me or I, breaks/brakes, .......

I rubbed and rubbed on the plastic cover today until my hands gave out (twice a couple hours apart). I think it's abraded enough now so the flat black primer will stick (for a while :) :) ). I'll shoot it 2mahra.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:22:18 am by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:54 am

I rubbed and rubbed on the plastic cover today until my hands gave out (twice a couple hours apart). I think it's abraded enough now so the flat black primer will stick (for a while :) :) ). I'll shoot it 2mahra.

Here's the cover now. It was originally almost perfectly translucent
so I think it's roughed up enough.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:25:12 am
Looking good 2CV!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 03:07:56 pm
Yep!
Not bad atall!  ;D
Just a thought...
How about turning the hardware so the bolt/screw heads are up, or use Acorn Nuts so your cargo doesn't get damaged on the way to the Post Office.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:59:31 pm
Yep!
Not bad atall!  ;D
Just a thought...
How about turning the hardware so the bolt/screw heads are up, or use Acorn Nuts so your cargo doesn't get damaged on the way to the Post Office.

Yup, I put the screw heads up (inside the cake pan) and they're pretty unobtrusive (they're small 1/4" hex heads with the washer integrated with the hex head. The (conduit) clamps themselves are incredibly rigid plastic. The thing is almost as solid as a harley kick stand (just kidding, but you CAN hoist a whole harley by its kick stand). And I've already considered some kind of thin pad in the cake pan trunk if nothing more than to minimize rat ling (like loose bullets or whatever  :) :) :)  )

Pictures the next day the sun comes out. It's depressingly gray here and pictures inside the garage SUK! I'm so sick of F-ing winter this year!!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:12:54 pm by tooseevee »

jentabeling

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:18:23 pm
That is really cool! Very creative :)
Question - where did you get your seat? I've been looking for one like that.
Jen

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 12:58:40 am
That is really cool! Very creative :)
Question - where did you get your seat? I've been looking for one like that.
Jen

Thanks. These kinds of seats are all over eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=motorcycle+seats&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Mine's mounted with no springs. I wanted my feet flat on the ground after too many years with the Lycette seat. It looked cool, but it was too high. I just got tired of tippy toes  :)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:03:12 am by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 06:29:15 pm
          I know you're all out there just dying to see pictures of the Cake Pan Trunk. Well, the sun finally came out today (pictures in the garage on cruddy days suk) so here they are.

I also noticed from the shot over the headlight that the blinkers don't look symmetrical and they're both exactly the same and mounted exactly the same. Sumthin' else to play with  :) ;) I hafta straighten up that tail light, too. I remember the day I  bumped the license plate with my leg and bent it.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 12:22:30 pm by tooseevee »