Author Topic: 17 GT with Power Commander Issue  (Read 3067 times)

Cwl1117

• Scooter
on: February 20, 2018, 02:05:12 am
Hey guys, I have a 17 GT and just installed the power commander a few days ago. I have an aftermarket slip on and k&n filter on it so I had it mapped (provided by RE of Fort Worth) with the maps they had for that specification.

All and all I can tell it runs smoother now, espically within the lower rpm’s, my issue arises around 4K+ in 2nd-5th. Once I hit right around 4200 (Best guesstimate) it starts to bog and misfire bad. I’m aware of the lovey rev limiter around 5k, which this is not it.

Any of you guys have this issue or think of a fix?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:05 pm
If you call them, they will talk to you.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Cwl1117

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 05:44:10 pm
If you call them, they will talk to you.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/

Thanks Guaire, I'm actually wondering if it's because I originally removed the o2 sensor and haven't reinstalled it.  Think it's pumping in too much fuel and creating it to bog down?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 06:35:25 pm
You should see rich on your spark plug, black and sooty. Is your air cleaner ok? Any mouse nests in the air box? If the throttle body can't suck air, it will go rich.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Cwl1117

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 06:43:36 pm
You should see rich on your spark plug, black and sooty. Is your air cleaner ok? Any mouse nests in the air box? If the throttle body can't suck air, it will go rich.

haha no mice, brand new K&N so I know thats not the issue..  Just gave PC a call and asked why on 17 models the blanking plug doesn't work and he kinda dodged it and said they couldn't figure it out.  So I will be reinstalling my o2 sensor this evening to see if that'll do the job.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 02:30:53 pm
I would think that if the maps are correct the lack of an o2 sensor wouldn't be that severe?
Roverman.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 05:48:07 pm
Cwl1117
Double check your K&N air filter to see if it was over oiled when you first installed it.

I know when I bought one, I over did the oiling and the motorcycle immediately had a large power loss.
The spark plug that had up to that time shown no carbon deposits at all suddenly started to develop some black carbon on the center insulator.  That was a sure sign of an air restriction.

I did a total filter clean to remove the oil and then lightly re-oiled it (like I should have done in the first place).
That fixed the carbon problem but after riding a bit, my 500cc G5 still didn't have the power it seemed to have before I installed the K&N.

I ran an airflow test on the lightly oiled K&N and an original paper filter and found the K&N was more restrictive (at least in my G5 airbox).

Because of this, the K&N (all $46 worth) ended up on my parts shelf and the original factory air filter is reinstalled.
Using the factory filter brought all of the earlier power back so that's the only filter I've used since then.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 02:31:42 pm
Could it be an issue with the PC-V's O2 sensor JUMPER. If it is bad or not seated completely it could cause the symptoms you described.
Just a guess....Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 04:59:23 pm
How about the infamous CGT fuel line kink? ???
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.