Author Topic: EFI light  (Read 6072 times)

Low and slow

• Scooter
on: February 17, 2018, 08:06:34 pm
Had a strange symptom yesterday. After a one hour ride and had just refilled the tank, the EFI light lit up and stayed on. No obvius melfunctions, ran ok. Turned bike off, turned ignition on EFI light momentary come on as it should. No repeat of light staying on since (so far). Any thoughts on what may be happening?
From Victoria Australia
Honda cbr 600rr Repsol Edition
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R
Royal Enfield Continental GT 535

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:51:43 am
Pardon my lack of knowledge, what's the EFI light?

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:59:38 am
PS:  Did you check for error codes?

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 07:49:44 pm
Fault codes? A dealer's diagnostic computer needed or is there another way of doing it? Like fleshing diodes on my Nissan years ago. Also, I have a Power Commander so does that effect a diagnostic check?
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 08:52:38 pm
There is a single wire connector near the ecu that when grounded will cause the MIL light to blink long and short blinks to indicate a faulty sensor.   You need the service manual for the codes unless someone can kindly post them.  I've never tried it myself.    According to previous forum inputs the ecu stores ALL past error codes even if not active and they are difficult to clear.  I don't have a pwr cmdr either and don't know if it would affect results.    Good luck!

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:15:01 pm
I had the same issue a couple of times when the bike was new, but nothing in the last 2 years.  Here is the chart for the test pin error codes from the shop manual.
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:01:44 pm
According to previous forum inputs the ecu stores ALL past error codes even if not active and they are difficult to clear.

hpwaco - your statement (as highlighted above) apparently must be relegated to "BF" (before Freddy1) urban myth status...

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,24946.msg287561.html#msg287561

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:12:23 am
Thanks to everyone for the advice regarding foult finding. Will have a go if the efi light persists to light up.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 09:47:40 pm
Mattsz, thanks for the info on clearing fault codes.  You're right I missed it.  Have you tried it?   Finding the purple ecu wire (not shown on my WD) and connecting a wire to it for grounding seems like it could be challenging requiring cutting into the harness.  And the procedure is a bit complicated - but if it works. . . .

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 09:48:50 am
The EFI light mystery may have an explanation (although not sure). Today I found the trickle charger tail wire that is connected permenantly to the bike battery, had shorted out. The positve and negative wires touched as the insulation had cracked where the]two go through a sharp kink. Hence, the inline 3 amp fuse in the positive wire let go. Just wondering if this milisecond short circuit was picked up by the ECU and registered it as a fault? Since I fixed the tail wire and replaced the fuse it's all good. Attached a couple of images of my bike.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 09:54:11 am
Here is the second image.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 01:39:21 pm
Not hurting in the looks department.
  Where’s the rack from?
I like the watch in the cockpit. I do that myself. It’s handy at start up for timing warm up.
  Lot’s of good touches. I hope you get this one running well.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 05:55:54 pm
hpwaco
The purple test wire shows on my wiring diagram. 
The diagram shows it as being connected at the bottom of the page attached to a place marked "TEST".  There is a dotted line going from it to ground indicating that it is not connected but if it were that is where it would attach.

In no way would cutting into the harness be necessary to get access to this test wire.

On my G5 it is just a single wire with a insulated connector on the end and it comes out from under the seat on the right side of the bike.
The location of your test wire may be different but you should remove the seat and look for a unconnected wire coming from your ECU.  I'm sure you will find it with just a little looking.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Low and slow

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 07:01:27 pm
All aftermarket gear is from Hitchcocks in England. Including airbox venturi plate, K& N filter and a Power Commander. It an electrics and starting motor cover.
From Victoria Australia
Moto Guzzi V7
Excelsior Universal 1947
KTM RC8
Aprilia Shiver 750
Suzuki Boulavard M109R

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 01:13:52 am
I have the same luggage rack on my 14 gt.  Tim, while with Kevin, got it from Hitchcock's for me a couple of years ago.  Works great with the removable top box that I got on eBay.