Author Topic: Side-roaded, discovery, misery  (Read 1392 times)

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
on: February 16, 2018, 11:02:09 pm
Okeydoke, here's whats up. Ordered a new relay, then read on a reply they are everywhere(figures) so I pulled the offending culprit, grabbed my razor saw(Hobby Lobby) and cut off the plastic cover, about 1/4 in from the epoxy-filled bottom. Unimpressed. Inside is simply a single stage electromagnet like what is used in pinball machines, only much smaller. Lemme splain- when the flippers got 'iffy' or weak, the cause is carbon buildup which was removed by fine file or sandpaper. Think automotive points(at least all you old farts/car guys). Yep, I cut a slice of 1000 grit sandpaper, peenched it with a hemostat and cleaned up the contacts carefully. Scotch-taped the cover back on and BAM! the fuel pump PUMPS FUEL! Yay! Huzzah! Well, almost. This success has only uncovered another problem-No fire.
  Here's the Sitrep: Sidestand switch disconnected since purchase.
                            Checked plug cap(two turns loose).
                            Original battery, still working fine.
                            Very humid/rainy/cold/warm in all combinations this winter(HP you know)
                            Idle has become erratic, from 1000 to 1500.
                            Fuel pump problem was intermittent, three false starts at three errand stops, but got it to run. Dead in
                            the driveway thereafter.
  And now I'm going to post this and call my buddy with instructions to head over to where the bike is stored and 1-disconnect the battery, disconnect the Dobeck Performance Module, check the coil and wire integrity, reconnect and try to start. I'll repost when he calls back.
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts