Author Topic: Damn you Mother Nature...a horror story  (Read 1291 times)

bnwhtlw

• Scooter
on: September 26, 2008, 07:11:29 am
Ok maybe not a horror story, but VERY lame none the less.  Could have been worse I suppose.  But those words are little consolation when your bike is on it's side.

Ok so first off, bike bike does not have a garage to be kept in.  I know, I know, I wish I did, but alas I have a really nice cover and I also store my Bullet in a vinyl shed.  It is very sturdy, with steel framing and a really thick poly-something or other cover.  It is held down by auger stakes in the grass on 3 sides and a eyelet in the pavement on the fourth.

So we are having a pretty rainy day...nothing to serious.  My bike is nice and cozzy in it's little house.  I drive to work.  About 5:30 I get a call from my wife telling me that my shed blew over and my bike was on it's side.  F@#KING SH!T I say a little louder than I meant to.  So my wife is probably strong enough to lift it, but I said leave it cause I didnt want her to strain something.

I get home and of course no one wants to see their bike like this.  I get over to it, the air filter (K&N half round one) is dented and pulled off.  There is 8 dollars worth of the Mobile1 I just put in yesterday all over the ground and gas (I had an almost full tank) all down the side of the tank, on the ground ect.  Looks like my gas cap leaks.  So the worst of it is the tank for sure.  The gas has stained the paint and peeled up a great deal of the logo decal.

The good news is...I had a rubber made storeage tub sitting in my little shed and the bike happened to fall on it and so the pipe never even touched the ground.  So I suppose it really could have been alot worse, but again, that is little consolation.

So I know this is just one of those really crappy things that happen sometimes.  I think I need to get tie eyelets all the way around for that thing now.

Rain for the next several days, so I wont be able to fully asses the damage until maybe Sunday. 

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 07:53:56 am
Really sorry to read this. Not much consolation, but at least the RE is a strong old metal beasty. Most of us have had Jap machinery that has fallen over with the subsequent expensive damage to plastic fairing etc.
The K & N is but a nuisance. The tank more so, but cosmetic. The oil and fuel? Consumables anyway.
Not good, but you'll sort it OK.
Best of luck from now on in.
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 08:24:03 am
Sorry to hear of your trouble. As LotusSevenMan indicates, you could be out of pocket by 500 bills or more for the same mishap with one of those plastic rockets.

Gas cap leak - I think they all leak when fully immersed - either through the breather hole or around the seal. They are only meant to be severe splash proof.

Chas
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:22:24 pm
Sorry to hear of your troubles! You might think about a 8x12 garden shed. They can be as cheap as  a couple of thousand , and even less if you are handy with a hammer and saw. Good Luck
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 06:19:28 pm
I had a similar occurrence about a month ago, without the shed.

My bike was covered, and there was heavy rain and high winds, and my bike somehow fell over, or was blown over, or something.
Anyhow, it was on the ground when I came out in the morning.
Dented tank, and oil and gas on the ground and the cover that was lying near it.

Bummer!
I'm looking around for a tank, but i can still ride with this one, since it's not leaking.
I'm gonna try to find a good deal on a  nice black DeLuxe tank over the winter.

Sorry to hear your plight.
I know exactly how you feel.
Home of the Fireball 535 !