Author Topic: Kick Start issue - 2008 Bullet 500, AVL engine  (Read 3798 times)

jentabeling

• Scooter
on: February 15, 2018, 11:19:36 pm
Hi, hoping for some help here... When I try to kick start all seems fine when I use the decompress (moves freely after 2nd kick) and I kick it a few more times (key off) but then when I turn key on (no longer using decompress) the kick start feels 'gummy' and hard to move and of course the bike does not start. It did this a couple of times last summer but then ended up working. The only thing I have done since then is loosen the tappets so they rotate freely but not up and down. Could I have adjusted them wrong? Or is there some other issue?
Thanks for any help! Jen

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 12:32:02 am
Sounds to me that you have the push rod tappets adjusted right.
The way I start my AVL is to slowly push down on the kicker until you feel the engine become stiff . Then keep pushing until the stiffness is gone. You might even hear the compression seep out though the exhaust. Release the kicker to full up , know kicker down firmly expecting it to start ( make sure the gas and key was on)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

jentabeling

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 01:38:48 pm
Thanks for responding but still the issue persists. I have gas, key and switch on. I was hoping the issue sounded familiar to someone as the 'feel' when swinging the kicker is normal with decom and on first kick with no decom I do the method you say below and it feels fine. But then when I go to give it a hard kick there is a different resistance than normal that feels like something is not engaging. Like its slipping internally maybe?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:16:56 pm
Thanks for responding but still the issue persists. I have gas, key and switch on. I was hoping the issue sounded familiar to someone as the 'feel' when swinging the kicker is normal with decom and on first kick with no decom I do the method you say below and it feels fine. But then when I go to give it a hard kick there is a different resistance than normal that feels like something is not engaging. Like its slipping internally maybe?

I hate to ask this (and apologize preemptively), but after you do your preliminary kickovers (if any) and then turn the key On, you're not pulling the clutch in, are you?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

jentabeling

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 06:34:33 pm
No, not using clutch at all.
I went ahead and drained the gear oil box and replaced with new gear oil. Same issue. I guess you could say it feels like the kicker is sliding, not engaging (what I referred to earlier as gummy). You can move it with quite a bit of force but it does not feel normal and net result is still - it does not start.
I also checked and cleaned spark plug.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 07:08:45 pm
No, not using clutch at all.
I went ahead and drained the gear oil box and replaced with new gear oil. Same issue. I guess you could say it feels like the kicker is sliding, not engaging (what I referred to earlier as gummy). You can move it with quite a bit of force but it does not feel normal and net result is still - it does not start.
I also checked and cleaned spark plug.

I'm afraid to advise you any longer not being there. I wish I was there to feel what you're feeling. It's difficult long distance.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GBBet

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 08:12:08 pm
When kick start feels 'gummy', pull clutch in and swing it through a coupla times to free the plates up. Normally works.

jentabeling

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 04:24:03 pm
Thanks to all, I did figure out the issue - my pushrods, one was too short and it slipped out. See my fix here: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,25885.0.html

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 05:34:01 pm
Thanks to all, I did figure out the issue - my pushrods, one was too short and it slipped out. See my fix here: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,25885.0.html

+1

Good for you  :) :) :) !!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 12:32:10 pm
Having read your thread, gotta say "Nice going!"  :)

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.