Author Topic: I've been 'Side-roaded'...  (Read 3010 times)

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
on: February 14, 2018, 10:54:49 pm
Emergency-my fuel pump relay(on the battery mount) crapped out, just 'ticks'. Can't find anything remotely like it or anything much else EFI on the parts site(I've sent an inquiry). I MUST have this bike on the road, it is my sole transpo now. I need help as soon as, fellas. Some punk with a BB gun has been shooting out windows in the neighborhood and the car got it in the back glass, shattered. Undriveable.
  Hi all, Hope everbody is good; HPWaco, got your email(I heard), hope you and family had a great holiday! I've finally got some time on a friends' laptop-my hard drive quit driving, and recently came up with some cash for a replacement. The dead one was a forced win10 upgrade, the latest I have is 7. Till I can get a usb to sataII cable I'm stuck. Hell, I'm lucky to be near a computer these days, anyway.
  As I mentioned, the scooter is my sole ride now, and still gets looks. The ride could be better, the front springs handle street and road irregularities nicely, but way too much braking dive-would Gold Valve Emulators or better springs be the option? For my fly ass the shocks are a little stiff, but rebound is good; when loaded with a weekend rides' worth of stuff it travels very well and for quite a long distance before stopping. I ran the bike on a 950-mile round trip, stopping for a smoke or gas,in the saddle all day long. When I finally parked I wasn't any more saddle stiff than when on my Virago with the cushy seat. Still toying with the fuel delivery stystem and my throttle work.
  I have a personal issue with the Pirellis. Being sport tires they be good 'n' sticky when they hit temperature. Since I've been riding in the winter I've found they are as hard and slick as a hockey puck. They are very iffy at low speed handling when confronted with cold pavement and misty moisture weather, and the disc brake(used to drums i s'pose).
  Time to go, get back at me on the forum here if yall can help with the relay thing this week, I'll be back in the area for a short time.
Keep Calm And Ride There!

You Are
What You Do
When It Counts

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:38:24 am
That relay and the 2 others like it (there are 3 of them) are all standard and are available at any auto supply store.

They are used in cars for everything from power windows to heater fans, power seats and deicing window power circuits.

The NAPA number for the relay is AR272.  Other auto supply stores may have a different number but if you give them the NAPA number they can cross reference it to find their part number.

PS: The three relays are 1. Fuel pump and fuel injector.  2. Main power for everything.  3. Sidestand relay.
 If you can figure out which one of them is the sidestand relay, you can pull it and install it into the fuel pump/injection relay place.
As you really don't need the sidestand relay for the motorcycle to run, you can just swap relays and go on your way.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:43:32 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:48:59 am
Jellyroll  - Good to hear from you again.  Sorry to hear about all of your assorted troubles.  If switching the relays around doesn't help and you can't find a substitute locally,  I have a new genuine sealed RE spare pn 585681/A.   I got it for a spare from CMW (wasn't cheap) after I got the gt back in 2014.   Should be able to get one thru Tim at REFW  682 730 2705.   Let me know.   I'm pretty sure the side stand relay is the lower left (front) one.
PS that sounds like quite a trip you made!

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 02:15:06 am
FYI.    Just checked.   Relays are item 7,  pages 160, 161 of the GT parts manual.

Freddy1

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:47:17 am
I believe that the sidestand relay is not interchangeable with the fuel pump/injection relay, one is normally closed and the other is normally open.

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 03:04:25 pm
The 3 relays are all the same part number.    The normally closed (deenergized) contacts of the side stand relay must be making contact for the bike to start.  Bike won't start if the side stand relay is removed.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 04:24:43 pm
You may be right.  I haven't tried removing the actual sidestand relay and seeing if the engine will start.

As for the normally open and normally closed function, that's one of the reasons these relays are so popular with designers.
It's also why the relay has 5 connector tabs.
The one relay can do both jobs, depending on which connectors are used.

Two of the connectors energize the switching solenoid.

One of the remaining three connectors provides the power that will be controlled.

One of the remaining two connectors provides the controlled power if the switching solenoid power is on and shuts it off if the switching solenoid  power is off. (normally open)

The remaining connector provides the controlled power if the switching solenoid power is off and shuts it off if the switching solenoid power is on. (normally closed)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 09:59:10 pm
The wiring diagram shows that the normally closed (deenergized) contacts of the side stand relay provide ground to the power relay.

Jellyroll

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 08:23:32 pm
Arizoni, thanks for the explanation on the switching, that helps alot ;D Onward and upward, allayouseguys
You Are
What You Do
When It Counts