aboard

Author Topic: ACE Air Box  (Read 1310 times)

hpwaco

• Grease Monkey
on: February 10, 2018, 01:25:37 pm
Bought a "spare" Spectre 4809 air filter for my ACE air box from Oreilly auto parts for $3.29.  Be careful if you do business with them.   It was out of stock, so they ordered it but didn't say anything about shipping charges.   When I went to pick it up they wanted $7.99 for shipping!   Told them they could keep it and started to walk out.  They then said I didn't have to pay the shipping charge!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 04:44:57 am
I'm surprised they didn't make you pay in advance...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 06:56:36 am
You can buy direct from Spectre. Cost is $5.49. Buy 2 and you won’t pay for shipping. I told a sales guy there about our air box kit. The filter does not come up in their search for any particular year, make and model. Maybe they’ll add a CGT search response!

https://www.spectreperformance.com/default.aspx
ACE Motors - sales & administration

hpwaco

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:59 am
Thanks for the info about Spectre and ordering direct.   Don't know why I never thought about doing/trying that - olde age I guess!!   ACE had suggested Autozone, but my local store didn't carry/couldn't get it.  Hence the O'Reilly experience!   Now that I have a "spare" I'll probably never need it!

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:40:02 am
   AutoZone does carry a direct replacement for the ACE can for $12.99. But it comes as an aircleaner kit:

https://www.autozone.com/intake-system/custom-air-cleaner?filterByKeyWord=spectre+4790&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false

The problem is now every time you want a replacment you're stuck with another support and chromed cover. When I found the first one the extra cover worked out nice as a replacement for the black back cover of the can. The second went on my '09 Electra AVL.
   I agree about aging  ;) . I, too, never once thought about ordering direct from Spectre  ::) ;D .
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • There Are No Truths Outside The Gates Of Eden
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:40:41 am
   Just ordered 2 from Spectre in about 2 minutes for $11 something free shipping. It would have taken an hour if I had read The Terms of Agreement  :) The lawyers cover EVery base, don't they? >:(

I will never, EVer, use two more, so if anyone wants one, PM me and I'll see what shipping it cheap would be. Probably not even be worth it.

Juice still off (going into 3rd day) so the generator is on for a while to run the frig temp back up. They say maybe Tuesday. LOTS of trees down everywhere which means lots of wires down.       

2008 AVL Classic.Extensive head work by Ace.Ace canister/TM32/Ace manifold.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil.Bobber seat.Fed mandates removed.Battery in right side case.Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" headlight.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 03:03:57 pm
Juice still off (going into 3rd day) so the generator is on for a while to run the frig temp back up. They say maybe Tuesday. LOTS of trees down everywhere which means lots of wires down.     

Sorry for the hijack, but... you guys got hammered "down south," didn't you?!?  More weather coming Wed-Thur, they say...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 05:00:39 pm
Sorry for the hijack, but... you guys got hammered "down south," didn't you?!?  More weather coming Wed-Thur, they say...

Here in RI, I've just gotten through my 3rd day, going into the 3rd night. It's disruptive and it changes how you do everything. Mornings are the worst. The kerosene heater, the Generac and the vintage '70s Coleman stove are getting well used. Generator is on now for its 2 hours every 12 hours to keep the frig up to temp and to catch up with you guys.

VERY extensive damage (mostly from trees) in RI. I think where we are we won't see electricity until late Tuesday evening or Wednesday.   
2008 AVL Classic.Extensive head work by Ace.Ace canister/TM32/Ace manifold.Small open bottle/hot tube removed.Pertronix Coil.Bobber seat.Fed mandates removed.Battery in right side case.Decomp&all doodads removed.'30s Lucas taillight/7" headlight.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 08:10:43 am
   Jeez, I guess we're lucky here in the Southwest.
   Worst weather so far has been the high winds we normally get about this time of year. The missus spent most of her life in San Diago, so when the winds recently blew over a power pole she was amazed.
   I grew up in Montana. The winds on the Fairfield Bench got so bad some winters they'd snow blast the paint off cars.
   Glad I lived in Great Falls.  ;)
'12 C5 Classic

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:22 am

I grew up in Montana. The winds on the Fairfield Bench got so bad some winters they'd snow blast the paint off cars.
   Glad I lived in Great Falls.  ;)

Oh, yeah. Know all about wind. Grew up in Wyoming in the '40s and '50s. We got all our wind through your State or N. and S. Dakota from Canada. I think I remember 3 windless days in the 18 years I lived there full time. And THEN there was also what came out of the Rockies. That's why we combed our hair so much in the '50s  :) :)

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 11:10:19 am
Good times!  ;)
'12 C5 Classic