Author Topic: Interesting article  (Read 7800 times)

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 10:37:44 pm
Well, we Brits use a £2 coin, which is a perfect size to fit the slot in the fastener. That said, if you really think it's an issue (you don't,do you?) why not either just carry the Allen key in a pocket or buy a pair of the aftermarket extended seat retainers (and let anyone pinch your seat). FWIW the BMW F800GT only had an Allen key too (if you don't count the stupid and unnecessary plastic key thing used to turn the remote adjuster on the rear shock). Some owners didn't know it exists; it's hardly necessary as the adjuster easily turns by hand anyway. That said I never had any reason to have to remove the seats on either my F800GT or my Thruxton whilst out on the road..
Talking of interesting articles, in the current issue of Bike there's a mini test on the UK spec Himalayan, part of a feature about small GS type bikes. It scored 8/10, the same as the Honda 250cc something or other. They were quite impressed, especially at the price (some £1,000 cheaper than the Honda). Worth considering then, maybe.

I just thought that the "tool kit" on my Triumph was a joke.  Why bother, was my thought.

My 2009 BMW F650GS (800cc twin) came with an actual tool kit that had a number of wrenches, screwdrivers, shock spring adjuster and a couple of other things fastened in individual slots under the seat.  Not too bad, but things have apparently definitely gotten worse since then.  Now all you get is a slot for your credit card.   ::)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 11:19:02 am
A fair point. FWIW the big 6 cylinder BMW behemoth thing doesn’t have much of a toolkit either. My R850GS had a decent one in a tray under the seat like your 800 twin. Hated my F800GT.
I’ve now read the full article in Bike. The Himalayan was joint “winner” with the Honda CRF Rally 250cc, beating the Kawasaki Versys 300, Suzuki V Strom 250cc, BMW G310GS and Benelli TRK 502. Whilst the least powerful bike it had good useable torque.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 05:31:12 pm
I had a quick scan of that article today RB. The Himalayan does sound like it is getting off to good start if the positive reviews continue.

Still waiting for the weather to warm up before taking a test ride.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 05:22:31 am
               I was pretty impressed when I read that Bilgemaster owed (owns) a Bella.

Back in the '50s when I was sending for every bike brochure I could find in Pop Mechanics and Mech Illustrated, the Zundapp Bella was one of those I would lay and bed and read about and stare at the pictures and lust after. It was an amazing looking thing for this kid in Cheyenne to be impressed by. I soon went totally harley however.

There's a Bella on the cover of an Oasis album, BTW.

Weirdly enough, my Bella has some ancient Harley throttle on it, put on by a previous owner for some reason. So, I guess one can have a bit of both.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.