Author Topic: Bullet with magdyno anyone?!  (Read 6061 times)

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
on: January 19, 2018, 05:25:49 pm
Just wondering: Has anybody out there ever converted his Indian Bullet from the distributor to a magdyno? I have a spare engine and an old magdyno, so I thought I'd give it a try. But if there's someone out there, there might be some experience on that topic. ???

Andreas

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:49:22 am
Well, that doesn't really answer the question.
You could also fit a Lucas magneto (SR1 for example), but I meant a magdyno like the MO1.
The older Bullets dont have the three bores for mounting the distributor/magneto, but the magdyno was strapped down to the oiltank. I think it can be done on newer ones as well, but it'd be nice to see, if anyone already done that.

Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 04:35:24 pm
I'm sure it CAN be done but it will need a little work - not that that seems to deter you if the quality of your Chief restoration is any guide.

The original Redditch Bullet crankcases had a magneto platform included in the casting and machined on the of the oil tank portion of the crankcase halves, on which the MO1 magdyno or competition magneto were fitted.

The later Redditch Bullet crankcases, as you know, are designed for the SR1 magneto, or contact breaker drive after 1959, to be bolted directly to to side of the timing chest, and (almost) all Indian cast iron Bullet retained this feature until the very last pre-EFI models. However, while the last of the Redditch Bullets retained the older-style magneto platform, this now redundant feature disappeared from the crankcases made in India, although the slots for the magneto strap ARE still there (even on the Electra-X models...)

What you would probably need to do is build up the top of the oil tank casting with weld and mill it flat to give you the correct height between the base of the magdyno and the timing pinion centre - I think it is 35mm for the magdyno, or 25mm with a 10mm spacer plate for a Lucas N1. You will also need to drill holes for locating pegs.

I have a spare late 350 Redditch engine and will try and get you a picture.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 06:54:01 pm
Thanks Adrian, you are the best! That's the kind of info that really helps. I have an MO1 that I will try to fit to a 350 engine (that lies 30km from here, so I can't really compare) and both of them maybe into a Crusader frame. Something light for the woods :-)
So long,
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:28 am
Hi Andreas,

you can get an approximate idea from this picture of a used crankcase for sale on Hitchcocks' web site. Apologies for the large picture, but if you scroll across it will give you more detail.

You can see one of the peg locating holes above the strap which holds the magdyno down, the other one is hidden by the strap. As far as I know the pegs simply screw into the threaded mounting holes on the underside of the magdyno, but I can't find them on Mr H's illustrated parts list.

Fitting a Bullet engine into a Crusader frame has been done for quite a few trials bikes, there is one on ebay in the UK at the moment.

This picture shows the magneto mounting a bit better, the Wipac magneto is probably off some stationary engine!

What you are proposing would be an interesting project, but if you want something light weight, you don't actually need a magneto.

A healthy Lucas RM21 or Sparx SPX005 alternator will happily provide enough power to run 12V ignition and lights using a Lucas 2MC capacitor or its modern equivalent instead of a battery. You can make the system more efficient using LED lighting too.

The other option would be a crank-mounted CDI ignition with some lighting coils such as the Electrex World systems:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/STK-100D.html

You have a few options...  ;D

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 12:07:49 pm
Thanks to Hitchcocks' web site (again!) here is a better view.

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:12:01 pm
Hi Adrian, thanks for the info! I think I'll machine a plate to set beneath the magdyno. You know, I like it old style, and I have it here ;) . Also, I really like the whole idea of that system and it gives some more old-days-charme and allows for a smaller primary.

It's just ideas up to now, nothing concrete.

Are you sure, that is a crusader frame? Looks more like a "big" one to me.
Best wishes,
Andreas

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 10:18:33 pm
The Crusader frame is a slightly scaled-down version of the later Redditch Bullet frame, the two frames are a very similar basic shape but a Bullet engine and gearbox will be a much tighter fit (the rear engine mounts need trimming). The unit construction 500 Triumph twin engine will also fit the Crusader frame, Converta engine plates for the Trifield are still available in the UK.

Here's an early version of the later Bullet frame:

and here's the Crusader-type frame.

(Hitchcocks' photos again)

Once your other two projects are completed we'll look forward to seeing what you have built.

A.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:04:20 am
Right, but when you look at the frame of the bike in the ad, I am pretty sure it is a Bullet/Meteor/Constellation etc. -frame.
It has all the lugs that would speak for it.

The frame is bought, and as soon as it is at my place, I'll see what needs to be done to make it fit ;)
So long,
Andreas

geichal

• Grease Monkey
  • REA #64 ...not quite done, but close...
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 03:16:47 am
I run a Hunt mag on my Bull, more pics in the photo gallery.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:54 am
I have fitted a few Bullet type engines into Crusader type frames. I bend the front downtube forwards to move the lower front engine mount forwards by 3/4", others cut the lower of the two mounting points off to make room, but I don't like that idea. The way I do it also enables the small bracing tube to remain under the top tube, which others sometimes cut out - again, I don't like that idea. The area just in front of the swingarm pivot will need to be trimmed away, to make room for the gearbox and primary cases.
 Our 350 racer uses a crusader type frame, with modifications to engine and frame, but I also modified one of these frames to accept a totally standard 500 Bullet engine and there was room to remove the rocker covers [with the long studs removed first] and cylinder head etc, without having to remove the engine, as is often the case with such conversions.
 B.W.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 09:29:14 pm
Hi,
just wanted to let you know I started the project some weeks ago.
Here are some pictures.

First a rough mock up:

The already known problem areas:

And off we go!

Factory's own stencil:

Better!

Magdyno will probably fit:

And more mocking up:

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 11:24:05 pm
This might set your Interceptor project back a bit!

I think the last use of the Magdyno on any Redditch-built bikes would have been on the 1957 Indian Woodsman, though according to Gordon May's "Made in India" the Chennai factory was still fitting them for a while longer after that.

A.