HPRE

Menu

Author Topic: Semi-Decent Starter 105-Piece Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest for $36.99  (Read 489 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Scooter
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Re: Semi-Decent Starter 105-Piece Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest for $36.99
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 09:05:43 am »
Just a quick "heads up": This weekend only (2/2/18 through 2/4/18) the Harbor Freight website homepage at https://www.harborfreight.com/ is displaying a 20% Off coupon along with a range of other freebies with any order.  If your tool collection doesn't include a handy multimeter to measure stuff like battery charge state (at least about 12.8 volts is "doing just fine"), run down random electrical gremlins, and so forth, one that'll actually tuck nicely into that side toolbox, well now's your chance to snag one for bupkis. I rewired the electrics of two sailboats and installed a solar array using one of these things, so yeah, they work perfectly fine. If you're all set with multimeters, then surely one can never have enough little Magnetic Parts Trays, right?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:15:04 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal in India.

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 05:17:44 pm »
I got the 105 piece kit to keep in the house. I got the 5" vise. My 3 1/2 didn't fit the soft jaws. Now the soft jaws fit.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Scooter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 07:14:19 pm »
Its been mentioned before in other places - a means of reinflating a repaired tire is needed.

Like I said, for me I'll just wait for the AAA guy to get there. Sure, I've got a couple-few 12V pumps, a foot pump, even a couple of little battery-operated guys for inflating dinghies or air mattresses on the boats, but I doubt any of them will be taking up precious space in my panniers. My old Norton N15CS "Desert Sled" still has the little doodads braised onto one of the frame tubes to hold a little bicycle style hand pump, but I doubt there's been one there since the Beatles broke up. Still, that might be a workable, if rather tedious, option for those who really want something on hand. I imagine a nice Zfal or similar quality bicycle handpump from eBay with mounting clips might fit inobtrusively along an Enfield's frame member somewhere. For example, even one of these little 9" fellows for less than ten bucks held with a couple of hose clamps might do the trick in a pinch yet otherwise stay put and well out of the way. Just make sure you are getting one for a Schrader style valve instead of a Presta type, or when the time comes you may as well have been driving around with an Oscar Meyer Wiener strapped to your ride...And nobody wants to be an Oscar Meyer Wiener guy.

[snip!...]

Well, it turns out I went ahead and ordered one of those little little 9" pumps for less than ten bucks that I had mentioned. I mean, having so thoroughly dismissed "hpwaco's" perfectly sensible idea of having some sort of pump on hand, I then realized whatta Dorcus I would feel like way out there with none at all and no bars on the phone if I happened to need one.  It turns out that the pump I just happened to link to on eBay is absolutely ideal for my 2005 Military, or perhaps most any other motorcycle, though it would probably not be one's first choice for a very light touring bicycle, where ounces really matter, owing to its rugged but rather heavy steel construction compared to aluminum or other lighter options. Although it came with a pair of some handy plastic screwed-ziptie-style mounts, I opted instead for some good sturdy hose clamps with cut-to-size rubber strips laid in.  Here it is mounted under the pillion (passenger) saddle. It ain't going nowhere unless I want it to:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:46:38 pm by Bilgemaster »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 11:55:15 am »
Looks like a good thing to have when your out in the boonies.

I am surprised you didn't paint it a nice flat black or olive drab though.

Somehow, chrome glittering in the sunlight doesn't quite fit on a military motorcycle. ???
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Scooter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 05:24:19 pm »
Looks like a good thing to have when your out in the boonies.

I am surprised you didn't paint it a nice flat black or olive drab though.

Somehow, chrome glittering in the sunlight doesn't quite fit on a military motorcycle. ???

Well, there's already way too much chrome on her right from the factory for me to make any pretentions of McQueening it. In fact, although it's still hanging on there pretty well, if the green stuff on the engine casings starts flaking off and looking rough, as it is apparently wont to do, I may commence going back to that lovely alloy in stages. It ain't easy bein' green.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:38:47 am by Bilgemaster »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »
 "It ain't easy bein' green."

That's what Kermit said but to end it on a cheery note he also said,

"Times fun when your having fly's."   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary