Author Topic: Help please  (Read 962 times)

Leebouy

• Neophyte
on: June 11, 2022, 04:23:13 pm
Can anyone help please? I have a Bullet 500 year 2000 4 speed that has had a hard tail conversion. I noticed I had no neutral light so started investigating. After taking out the headlight and the rats nest of wiring I found no neutral light, holder or wiring (even tho there is a neutral light on the dials) does anyone know if this year should have a neutral light and if so where the switch is located so I can trace the wires (couldn't find anything on the gearbox) ? Or if anyone knows the colours that should be at the dials. Many thanks in advance.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 07:38:38 pm
The switch is on the back of the transmission case, under the battery box, usually covered with a layer of mung 'n drool. I'm pretty sure it just grounds the lamp when the bellcrank actuates the switch. Bullet wiring is on the whole pretty hinky. Clean & simple is the order of the day, if you don't really need it maybe leave it off, less to go wrong.

The neutral lamp is a function that is pretty superfluous on the Bullet, you'll know when you are in neutral, it's an art. The "Neutral Selector" is there for a reason... ;D  It wasn't on the machines of the era, and the next speedo I get won't have this lamp. Or a turn signal lamp. Less is more... 8)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 09:04:55 pm
Well l would not worry to much l have a 2021 bullet you can only see it night it’s so dim, l don’t pay any attention to it and gear change by feel, during daylight it’s pretty useless.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 12:56:44 am
My replacement speedometer doesn't have the lamp and I don't miss it. Like Carl said it was not all that visible on the original.