Author Topic: Semi-Decent Starter 105-Piece Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest for $36.99  (Read 21147 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Sure, I've got fancy-schmancy tools: Snap-On, Craftsman, the gang's all there. Bags of the stuff--almost too much, really. Hell, I've got old "Whitworth" wrenches and sockets and even a special half-thickness Brittool ¼ Whitworth combination "spanner" whose sole purpose is sneaking through the cooling fins to budge that one impossibly-recessed headbolt in a Norton 750.  So, what's the go-to kit I grab by default nowadays when time matters, and I don't feel like sorting through the inventory?  It's this ultra-bargain one by Harbor Freight. I've actually got a couple:

Right now, and until the 28th of January, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight or online for just $36.99 with coupon code 89282395.

Sure, its tools are not the epitome of the toolmaker's craft, but then again they are way better than you might frankly have any right to expect for the price, at less than 35¢ a tool. You could maybe get a single Snap-On or Craftsman ratchet extension bar for the cost of this whole kit...a very small one. They're "handy" little kits is all I'm sayin', and the price doesn't get much better than it is right now. If you want everything you'll need 99% of the time to keep an Enfield happy and healthy in a handy drawer box, go grab one.

And just as a sweetener, here are a couple more 20% off coupons in case you get anything else, as well as a bunch of freebies. I adore those freebie Portable Worklight/Flashlights with their magnetic base AND flip out hook to hang them...and you might too some dark night, but you can never have enough Magnetic Parts Holders:

Just view or save the above image to phone or computer to view at highest resolution or to use later in a Harbor Freight store.

Standard Disclaimer: Nope, I don't work there, nor do I stand to make a penny whatever you do.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 02:23:36 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
   I've been a regular visitor to HF for longer than I wish to divulge.  ;)
   I've seen them make the transition from "mostly crap" to "quite acceptable", and in fact still use some of the tools I first ordered when I began my career as an A&P. Back then my philosophy was "Buy the least expensive tool first, and if it breaks under normal use move up to the chain to a more expensive one. Repeat if necessary until they stop breaking.", and has served me well. I've even made the switch from more some of the more expensive brands to a HF tool and had better service.   
   So, like you "the gang's all here"  :) and I agree with your review of the kit.
   Great recommendation for a starter set, even at the HF regular price. And HF has a lifetime guarantee on most of their tools, too!

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
If you have a little more money, give Carlyle Tools a try. From NAPA Auto Parts.
I’ve been very pleased with the feel and finish. They are Simi Snap-On clones for much less, also look for sales.
I started to purchase Carlyle Tools when Crapsman Tools became “ Made in China “ for Made in USA “ prices .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Which brings us to a question: What's in YOUR toolbox, on the bike, that is. Handy as it is, you wouldn't want to haul around this Harbor Freight set. Mine was lucky enough to come with its little original toolset, lacking only the spark plug wrench tool, since replaced with a thrift store find. To this I've added a tiny bottle of Harbor Freight medium-strength threadlocker (their Loctite knockoff), a little brass-bristled brush for dressing the sparkplug and an extra sparkplug. I'll likely toss in some appropriate Allen keys. What do YOU find essential on the road, apart from a AAA Plus membership upgraded to "RV service" (which is oddly what one needs for that 100 mile towing service on the rather bizarre theory that schlepping my 400 lb. bike is somehow comparable to towing a 25,000 lb. house on wheels)?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:56:39 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Here is a thread about tool kits. Might give you an idea or two:

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,3409.msg120200.html#msg120200

My kit for long trips:
   Spare fuses, Clutch, and Throttle cables, Front and Rear tubes, Tube Patch kit, 4-in-1 screwdriver, Motion Pro Tire Spoons, 6-19mm combo wrenchs in a roll, Ford Wrench (for the bigger nuts), a few male and female Bullet Connectors, a few male and female Spade Terminals, small Needle Nose pliers, small "alternate lifestyle" cutter (Diagonal Plier), a few Red Rags, a small spool of Safety Wire, and a cheap VOM.
   These are stuffed into my Saddle bags to "compliment" the factory kit that came with the bike.
   Overkill? At 12,954 miles I have yet to use any of them.   ;D
'12 C5 Classic

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Here is a thread about tool kits. Might give you an idea or two:

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,3409.msg120200.html#msg120200

My kit for long trips:
   Spare fuses, Clutch, and Throttle cables, Front and Rear tubes, Tube Patch kit, 4-in-1 screwdriver, Motion Pro Tire Spoons, 6-19mm combo wrenchs in a roll, Ford Wrench (for the bigger nuts), a few male and female Bullet Connectors, a few male and female Spade Terminals, small Needle Nose pliers, small "alternate lifestyle" cutter (Diagonal Plier), a few Red Rags, a small spool of Safety Wire, and a cheap VOM.
   These are stuffed into my Saddle bags to "compliment" the factory kit that came with the bike.
   Overkill? At 12,954 miles I have yet to use any of them.   ;D

Well, I can well imagine that the very minute you don't have all that crap in your saddlebags is the same day you'll be needing it. From what I can already discern, unlike some of your more modern utilitarian rides with the souls of disposable lighters, these quirky Enfields appear to possess some sort of complex individualized soul, or what those other Indians closer to home once called "Manitou". Accordingly, one's Enfield will sense and fulfill its own agenda and capabilities. It knows those tire irons are in there, hence you will most likely never have a flat, unless it's in a taunting mood and maybe cheesed off about something else (e.g., "Ughhh..What is this he's pouring into me now? Dollar General multi-grade? Cheap Bastard! I'll show him. Can't he hear my tappets are already aching from that thinned-out Pennzoil spew? OK, have fun dipshit:...Pffffffttttt!").

In about 40 years of nursing this or that ratty old motorcycle around, usually as my sole means of transport, I have only ever had one flat, and I just pulled the wheel off and brought it to a shop for patching. At this point, just shy of a month into early retirement, flats are what AAA is for. Most likely I'll just treat those tubes to a shot of Slime, and see how that goes.

Those fuses and cables are a good idea though. I've lost a clutch cable or three in my time. I've also tucked a couple of bulbs for the indicators and brake lamp into the pouch that I discovered rattling in the pannier. A medium-sized crescent wrench would probably also be a grand idea, as well as one of these multi-tool doodads from Wallyworld that you can get for less than four bucks. I've got a bunch of them, including one in my riding jacket, and I'll often pick up more while at Wallyworld, since I usually end up giving them to boating buddies. Here's affordable elegance and versatility.  Those spring-loaded needlenose pliers are especially useful I've found, while a knife, various screwdrivers and little saws are always a good thing to have handy.  I imagine the little file might be just the ticket for dressing up some badly pocked points, while remembering that old school hooked Army-style can opener might be a super-happy thought on a camping trip some hungry evening whilst staring woefully at that can of beans:

Seriously, for less than a pack of Marlboros why wouldn't you toss one of these into your toolkit?

Anyhow, thanks for that link to the other thread too. I've still got a bit of room in my toolcase. In the meantime, it's a fine afternoon getting up into the low 60s, so I'm off to find a country road!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:00:43 pm by Bilgemaster »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I'm done with Craftsman tools.  Between busting my knuckles open from sockets, wrenches and ratchets failing, to every "customer service" department and store giving me the runaround trying to get a month old 1/2" impact wrench that I paid extra for the extended warranty.  Sears will never get my money again.  Absolute horrible customer service.  Ended up having to throw that impact wrench in the garbage, even tho I had warranty and receipts.

My current brands of choice are Pittsburg and Gearwrench.  Both have lifetime warranties on all their hand tools and are much easier to warranty out than waiting on the Snap On guy.  I still have a few odd and end Snap On tools, but honestly, I sold a lot of them and replaced them with the Pittsburg equivalent.  I have a set of Pittsburg 3/8" deep metric sockets that are 7 years old, been beating the crap out of them all with my cordless DeWalt for the last 4, and never broke a one.  ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
I'm done with Craftsman tools.  Between busting my knuckles open from sockets, wrenches and ratchets failing, to every "customer service" department and store giving me the runaround trying to get a month old 1/2" impact wrench that I paid extra for the extended warranty.  Sears will never get my money again.  Absolute horrible customer service.  Ended up having to throw that impact wrench in the garbage, even tho I had warranty and receipts.

My current brands of choice are Pittsburg and Gearwrench.  Both have lifetime warranties on all their hand tools and are much easier to warranty out than waiting on the Snap On guy.  I still have a few odd and end Snap On tools, but honestly, I sold a lot of them and replaced them with the Pittsburg equivalent.  I have a set oPittsburg 3/8" deep metric sockets that are 7 years old, been beating the crap out of them all with my cordless DeWalt for the last 4, and never brokeone.  ;)

Well said, Sir. Though I must confess that I adore and could never willingly part with my Xnap-On "Micro-Mini Stubby Thingee", like the one shown here:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:09:23 pm by Bilgemaster »

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Tools that are subjected to high stress, and tooling that needs to hold a sharp edge are worth paying extra for.  There are some unbelievably bad HSS drill bits out there that demonstrate both of these issues.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:13:41 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Its been mentioned before in other places - a means of reinflating a repaired tire is needed.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Its been mentioned before in other places - a means of reinflating a repaired tire is needed.

Like I said, for me I'll just wait for the AAA guy to get there. Sure, I've got a couple-few 12V pumps, a foot pump, even a couple of little battery-operated guys for inflating dinghies or air mattresses on the boats, but I doubt any of them will be taking up precious space in my panniers. My old Norton N15CS "Desert Sled" still has the little doodads braised onto one of the frame tubes to hold a little bicycle style hand pump, but I doubt there's been one there since the Beatles broke up. Still, that might be a workable, if rather tedious, option for those who really want something on hand. I imagine a nice Zéfal or similar quality bicycle handpump from eBay with mounting clips might fit inobtrusively along an Enfield's frame member somewhere. For example, even one of these little 9" fellows for less than ten bucks held with a couple of hose clamps might do the trick in a pinch yet otherwise stay put and well out of the way. Just make sure you are getting one for a Schrader style valve instead of a Presta type, or when the time comes you may as well have been driving around with an Oscar Meyer Wiener strapped to your ride...And nobody wants to be an Oscar Meyer Wiener guy.

As for those looking for some sort of portable 12V pump, there is a seemingly interminable discussion of the matter over at the Adventure Rider Forum begun a decade ago at http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/reviewed-12v-mini-air-pumps-inflators-compressors-need-input.286669/. Rather encouragingly, I must say, that forum's main banner photo appears to show some adventurous rugged manly man on an Enfield atop some craggy peak gazing magnificently into the wild and windblown vista, so I guess they can't be all bad.  In fact, I expect I might swing by there again just to see what they have to say about tents and mini-stoves.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:41:37 pm by Bilgemaster »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Somebody shoot me. It’s Feb 1 and I just saw this thread. They will probably do it again soon enough.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Somebody shoot me. It’s Feb 1 and I just saw this thread. They will probably do it again soon enough.

Fret not Guaire! You can just use one of those 20% Off coupons I scanned and still only pay $37.43, just 44¢ more (like about half a spilled Pabst Blue Ribbon in real terms), and get yourself one of those freebies in the bargain.  Those coupons are good until mid-March (top) and mid-February (bottom) of 2018. You can also sign up to receive such coupons in future via mail, email and/or text right here.  Their regular non-signup coupon specials for all comers are currently found here. In fact, I might swing by today for one of those rinkydink Digital Inspection Cameras I've been "eyeing" for a while.

Likely to get up into the low 50s here this afternoon, so I guess I'm off to find another windy country road!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:34:09 pm by Bilgemaster »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks. I’m feeling better now. I have just about all my tools in the garage. I could keep that big kit in their house and be a lot more useful.
  I got a cheap camera from Summit Auto. It’s probably the same unit. It’s not great, but it’s a whole lot better than nothing. There bore scopes that plug into your smartphone from Tech Garage. About $200. It’s an HD image. Great camera.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks for mentioning that, Guaire!
   For those interested, the wireless version is on sale for the next several hours.

1 for $57.94 U.S. (includes shipping).
   2 for $87.89 U.S. (includes shipping).

https://thetechgarage.info/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9IL9lMeH2QIVVLXACh0qlQd2EAAYASAAEgI3dPD_BwE

(I have one of the older HF hand held models and have been very satisfied with it. Saves to micro disk and has connections for video cables, too. Works a charm, but is kinda bulky.)
   I'd love to have one for work, but the 8mm camera head is too big. Need a 7mm for it to be usable.
   [edit] I just ordered up one for me and a couple as Holiday gifts for a couple of great technicians.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:21:17 pm by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic