Author Topic: After market LED Headlight units  (Read 27627 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 01:08:11 am
Those lights look like another answer to a question never asked and all for the lowly price of over $175 plus shipping. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 07:39:12 am
 ;D Exactly my thoughts too, Arizoni

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 07:37:33 pm
I didn't know REs could lean over that far.  At least mine doesn't.
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Devante

• Scooter
  • Crescent fresh at best!
Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 12:25:35 am
I didn't know REs could lean over that far.  At least mine doesn't.

Leaned my CGT so far that it sheared the bolt connecting the muffler to the exhaust.

I guess the peg feeler on that side is pointless. ha!
.x[ Devante ]x.

Royal Enfield - Continental GT - 2016 - Black

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #49 on: June 24, 2018, 04:15:46 am
I installed the 13W LED fog light for visibility today (the 55/60W incandescent headlight is for illumination at night).  More details in ...today?

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: November 27, 2018, 02:24:34 pm
Howdy folks.  Reviving this old thread, hoping some of you are still hanging around these forums...

I ordered the fanless H4 bulb from SuperbrightLEDs, and it arrived yesterday.  Here's what I got:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/back-up-light-bulb/motorcycle-h4-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink-2000-lumens/3930/8566/

Went to install it and sure enough the speedometer cable is still in the way.  It looks like I can remove the heat sink and install it in reverse, but I will have to cut and re-solder the wires/plug in order to do so. 

Just wondering if anyone has successfully fitted this bulb by using this method before I go to the trouble....?   Is the 'reversed' heat sink able to squeeze in beside the speedo cable? 

Another option is I could grind off one side of the heat sink, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #51 on: November 27, 2018, 05:42:21 pm
Superchuck, can't you get an extended headlight ring that moves it forward another 20mm or so? I think I have seen such a thing. Also, I think the Hitchcocks Flyscreen moves the headlight unit forward as well, but not sure yet till mine arrives Thursday. I don't think grinding the heat sink is a good idea.
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: November 27, 2018, 06:08:11 pm
9fingers,

Thanks for the reply.  The extended headlight ring has also been mentioned earlier on this thread and elsewhere.  It surely would be the most elegant solution, but I am searching around online and I am unable to find it. 

Amazon has this black powdercoated one, but it seems to be the same size as the normal 7" ring:  https://www.amazon.com/Enfield-County-Powder-Coated-141634/dp/B00ZLRBHWC/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RFG07SYQ17E9HDH255B8

If I can source an affordable extended ring that would be my first choice, in case anyone has a link to one. 

Turning the heat sink around is probably the easiest solution, just wondering if anyone has successfully done that?

Many thanks!
Chuck

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: November 27, 2018, 06:26:04 pm
My C5 incandescent (amber) H4-to-speedometer cable spacing is so close that if I turn the speedometer rubber ring 180 degrees I can't install the 7" Cibie 82440 headlight.  I'm using the black standard-depth ring -- I can't find the extended-depth ring in black either.

My experience with several unsuccessful LED designs followed by close questioning of successful LED headlight owners, I believe the C5 LED solution is either the extended-depth chrome ring (standalone or flyscreen-integrated) or a GPS speedometer.

I'm running an SBL fog light for daytime visibility and the amber H4 for nighttime illumination.  If you find a black 7" ring solution please post it with part numbers and pictures!

Superchuck

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: November 27, 2018, 07:11:41 pm
Thank you Bert,

I am actually not partial to black... if I could find an extended ring in chrome I would purchase that as well.

I actually have an AVL Electra, but from what I've gathered the headlight nacelle and speedo setup has not changed in our models from the Iron Barrel (at least in regard to this spacing issue we have). 

I transitioned to an LED headlight bulb for the purpose of freeing up some wattage in order to use auxiliary LED clusters (which will help for night-riding), but my main intention is for better visibility from cagers on my highway commute since daylight savings means all my rides are in the dark until spring.

Does your reply mean that turning the heat sink around will still not fit with your stock speedo cable?

Does anyone know where I can find any version of the extended ring?

Many thanks!
Chuck

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #55 on: November 27, 2018, 07:58:59 pm
I've put in a LED headlight which came with a reversible heatsink... Didn't have to do anything apart from unscrew a little grub screw, reverse it, screw back on. That was from classicarleds.com - I might've mentioned it earlier in this thread, or another LED one.

I did HAVE to buy the wider rim to get it to fit - bought it from Hitchcocks. The flyscreen does come with the wider rim too. For both, I think you had to have the larger, non-US standard headlight size

This wide rim became standard from a certain year, can't help with exactly when. My 2012 B5 had the narrow rim, hence the upgrade.

I'm trying to find links to all of the above - will post them asap.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #56 on: November 27, 2018, 08:04:07 pm
Here ya go with the extended ring http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Head-Lights-and-fittings-Lighting/34284  Make sure you read carefully to get all the extra parts needed.  Hitchcocks customer service is excellent so send them an e-mail to make sure.

My reference to the speedometer rubber ring is the tapered O-ring between the speedometer housing and the top of the casquette.  I tried rotating it 180 degrees to tilt the dial towards me but then the H4 bulb socket hit the speedometer cable so I rotated it back to the original position.  Spacing is that tight!

What OEM and p/n LED headlight are you using?  And what are LED clusters?  Details please.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #58 on: November 27, 2018, 08:37:19 pm
Ergyd -- yeah you lead me down that classicleds.com path but you didn't mention that Hitchcocks chrome extended ring. :)

Here are the choices for LED lighting:

(1) carefully selected and perhaps modified H4 LED bulb and 7" housing with Hitchcocks chrome extended standalone or flyscreen ring

(2) fully integrated 7" LED headlight assembly from SBL, etc

(3) any H4 LED bulb and 7" housing with black or chrome normal ring and GPS speedometer

(4) my daytime 13W LED foglight and nighttime incandescent (amber) Hella 60/55W bulbs (https://www.amazon.com/Optilux-HELLA-H71070682-Yellow-Halogen/dp/B001BM0H8G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543350661&sr=8-3&keywords=yellow+h4+headlight+bulb) with black 7" normal ring solution.  Relay and wiring modifications required.

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #59 on: November 27, 2018, 08:49:15 pm
I didn't?! Ah, Bert, I'm sorry if so! Hope it didn't create too many delays in your LED search!

Another option I'd also add to your list would be a shallower headlight unit - I'm still considering this, as like you've said, even with the wide rim, and the reversed heatsink, it's still a bit close in there!

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffylighting.htm