Author Topic: After market LED Headlight units  (Read 27581 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 11:53:53 pm
I'm reviving this topic because Guaire has the reliable LED bulb solution I like and heloego has the traditional 7" housing solution I like.  Gauire didn't identify what 7" housing (nacelle) he is using nor what RE he is using it on so I don't know if his solution would work on my 2016 C5 (yes I've removed the always-on jumper).  And I don't trust the reliability of the LED bulbs helego is using although I might not have a choice.

My current attempt is a CIBIE/Valeo 082440 7" housing with a Philips 12953BWX2 LED bulb (about the same length as Gauire's LED bulb).  The bulb's heat sink bumps into the speedometer cable so I can't close the headlight assembly.  An electronic speedometer replacement is not a option nor is a non-traditional integrated LED headlight like the Cyron, etc.

I've been considering adding a second headlight ring but I think it will make the RE look a bit "nosy".  Maybe the visor will help here.

So my questions are:

(1) is adding a second ring too ugly even with the visor?

(2) Guaire -- what 7" housing (nacelle) are you using on what model RE?

(3) heloego -- are your H4 LED bulbs adequately reliable?  Have they left you on a dark road far from home or could you switch to the other beam and ride home?  Or do you carry a spare?  :)

You could have used Search and looked at my posts. I thought everyone knew I’m on a GT!
  2014 Conti GT. I’m the second owner. I assume it’s a 7” from CCM/Baker Motorsports. Here’s a picture of it. I removed the wire protector. https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,25608.msg295109.html#msg295109
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:59:12 pm by Guaire »
ACE Motors - sales & administration

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #31 on: June 03, 2018, 01:29:40 pm
Hi Bert,
   The lights so far have worked well for me. No probs yet, but I still carry a spare.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #32 on: June 10, 2018, 04:41:50 pm
I ordered 5 $2.89 H4 LEDs which arrived today.  Status is:

#1 DOA due to shipping damage to rim
#2 died on one-hour daytime ride Descanso-to-Barona; I had it on Hi-Beam full-time
#3-#5 installation on hold until I'm sure I won't have nighttime ride
2016 RE Classic 500 CA version Fair-Weather Mountain Bike
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 06:07:33 pm
Update - I have the Warm White LED from classiccarleds on order, as well as the Wide Headlight Rim from Hitchcocks. Will let you know how it all works as soon as I get them.

As a side-note, if anyone was also considering getting the very well reviewed small Hitchcocks Flyscreen, it adds the same amount of width as the Wide Rim unit according to the brilliant guys at Hitchcocks,

Devante

• Scooter
  • Crescent fresh at best!
Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 04:46:17 pm
I've been wanting to get a halo unit and black housing for my black 2016 GT.

What do you guys think of these kinds of aftermarket units?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075N1K11Z/?coliid=I432F94EIU6M1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1Z8Z6O/?coliid=I2ZIQ04Y7JGM6R

On a side note, I removed the jumper cable disabling the light controls and was able to turn my headlight on/off. About a week after, my headlight stopped working. Not sure if they're related.

The highbeam indicator stays on whether I push the highbeam button or not. If I unplug the sealed headlamp, that indicator stays off.

I'm hoping the headlamp just coincidentally died. I used a multi-meter to test the leads and all three leads seem to be sending voltage correctly.
.x[ Devante ]x.

Royal Enfield - Continental GT - 2016 - Black

Ergyd

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: June 15, 2018, 01:18:19 pm
Have received, and installed the LED from classiccarleds...

And I'm super impressed. The instant-on when flashing main beam is brilliant, and the intensity of the light is great. Best of all, though, the warm colour means it doesn't have that 'modern' effect of the usual bright white LED. Still looks old-school.

It was a bit of a wiggle to get it all in place, and I did have to reverse the heat-sink into its shorter setting. And it definitely wouldn't have worked without the wider rim. But, if anything, it just forced me to give some attention to the wiring in there, and neaten it up a bit.

Overall, very VERY happy. Will send some pictures up when I get an opportunity for a night-time photo shoot.

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
  • I am like....no big deal!
Reply #36 on: June 15, 2018, 02:57:45 pm
I've been wanting to get a halo unit and black housing for my black 2016 GT.

What do you guys think of these kinds of aftermarket units?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075N1K11Z/?coliid=I432F94EIU6M1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1Z8Z6O/?coliid=I2ZIQ04Y7JGM6R
These are exactly the kind i am interested in too and i started this thread for the same reason. But i am still not able to make up my mind as there aren't any comprehensive reviews on youtube or anywhere of these Sealed LED projector headlights running on a motor cycle. I admit that they rob the RE of the old world charm but where i live and ride my B5, good lighting is almost the difference between life and death  :o...
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 08:38:45 pm
I also bought from superbrightleds.com. It’s a US company. So far so good.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 02:44:10 pm
I ordered 5 $2.89 H4 LEDs which arrived today.  Updated status is:

#1 DOA due to shipping damage to rim
#2 died on one-hour daytime ride Descanso-to-Barona; I had it on Hi-Beam full-time
#3 Hi-Beam died after 3 minutes of riding; Lo-Beam died after another 3 minutes
#4-#5 gifted to a friend with a caveat

My well-used Philips 55/60W incandescent has been reliable but I want something that draws less current to make room for heated vest and handgrips.  Since this is mostly a sunshine-only motorcycle and since the headlight is mostly for vehicle visibility not roadway illumination my plan is to mount an LED fog light (https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/daytime-running-lights/led-fog-light-3-square-13w-1700-lumens/3542/7536/) below the headlight (in place of the RE nameplate) and operate it when the lighting switch is in the Park position (ie visibility mode) but not in the Headlight position (ie illumination mode) so an SPDT relay will be needed.

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: June 18, 2018, 12:19:43 am
I ordered the LED fog light today to use SBL's 15% Father's Day credit.

I decided my planned circuit was too complicated.  Its now an SPST relay as follows: Pins 86, 30 = unused Pilot light Gry wire; Pin 85 = tap into Hi-Beam Blu wire; and Pin 87 = LED Fog Light +12.  The fog light will be ON when the Pilot lights are ON and the Headlight is NOT Hi-Beam.  I'm using the ground-through-filament trick for relay control.  I should have it installed next weekend after the LED fog light arrives.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: June 18, 2018, 10:56:45 pm
So the 2001 Road King custom that I recently purchased had this led headlight installed and gets the job done quite well.  And less than $50 its quite the steal.  Definitely not retro or classic in appearance, but it sure is bright.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/For-HARLEY-7-MOTORCYCLE-BLACK-PROJECTOR-DAYMAKER-HID-LED-LIGHT-BULB-HEADLIGHT/262573437651?epid=554429214&hash=item3d2298b2d3:g:LaEAAOSwU-pXrHLg
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: June 19, 2018, 04:21:37 am
Carrots!

Rather than trying to make lights brighter we could instead try and improve our eyes' performance after dark.  No further drain on batteries, no wiring upgrades, no dodgy 'pattern' LEDs from the orient. Just pop down to your local fruit and veg retailer.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #42 on: June 19, 2018, 08:46:29 pm
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Bert Remington

• Grease Monkey
Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 07:55:12 am
I noticed a number of members might be at or near that age when cataract surgery is a consideration.  To obtain maximum visual performance, I had my ophthalmologist install single focus (long distance) aspheric lenses.  Aspheric lenses reduce chromatic aberration for improved daytime and nightime clarity in glare conditions.  Single focus lenses use the entire retina as compared to multi-focus lenses using only part of the retina for each foci and your brain learns which part to use appropriately albeit with fewer photoreceptor cells.  Yeah I'm continuously switching to and from various reading glasses but its worth it every time I drive into a setting sun or oncoming headlights.  I know where the road is!  BTW you have to pay extra for aspheric.  Trade the ribeyes for carrots and get a double benefit.

Ergyd

• Scooter